2024 NFL Changes

1 hour ago, HailGoldPants said:

I'm hoping that the Browns use this opportunity to update the actual helmet and facemask model used in their primary logo.  That facemask in particular hasn't been used in 30+ years.

I'm going to echo what tons of people here have already said (and mocked up), which is that if the old-timey Browns are going to commit to a helmet as a logo, they should go so far back that no one could confuse the helmet with recent history: an old one-bar facemask, for instance. Lean into the concept of predating a logo rather than using the stock helmet art across the league and calling it a primary--especially when that stock helmet art is a relic of the recent, not distant, past.

Personally, I think the =B= football was halfway to the right idea, it just should have been a =C= instead.

• Like 15

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm gonna repeat what I've probably repeated 1,946 times already around these parts.

@rtrich11 had probably the best idea for a  Browns primary logo...

browns1.jpg

...Pair that with @andrewharrington's Brownie Elf concept logo and you got yourself a solid enduring visual identity package.

dribble.jpg.27223173ec82189ea69b371f79e9

And if none of that is doable, then perhaps Fraser Davidson's helmet logo concept would be:

02b8c573949fc23b9f45a8d4d331acf6.png?res

And at the risk of grayjacking this thread, if the Browns had to switch away from brown masks, they should have went back to gray. The white sticks out a bit too much for my liking...but that's just my two rusted Lincolns.

(Oh and ditto to whoever it was that suggested orange pants home and away as the primary option....)

• Like 3
  • Dislike 2

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

It's crazy that the Browns have managed to make themselves relevant in uniform discussion for yet another offseason haha

The idea that they're simply going to update their current stock illustration helmet facemask color rather than seizing the opportunity to simply adopt a proper logo is insane to me, but I suppose it's also consistent with their recent history. It doesn't really even matter to me if it's a dog, an elf, or simply just a stylized helmet like many talented designers have rendered over the years-

ef7569e5b30d8b1af2900b42eb5d3cd4.png?res

(by Fraser Davidson)

69d78134ad739418a5c239f7c10d1a10.jpg?res

(by Matthew Harvey)

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQOF7n3PKspJ544AkN7sNg

(by Michael Irwin)

Just pick something and quit the act that not having a proper logo is a cool tradition instead of just a remnant of years of dysfunctional management.

• Like 1

spacer.png

Of all the Browns concepts over the years, I think my favorites have been the two far left options in the top row here. Both timeless and could stick around forever. Not indicative of a manufacturer’s helmet style like the current logo. Fairly generic but not in a cheap way.

From Gridiron Labs

spacer.png

• Like 5

I speculate that the league doesn't want them to have a stylized helmet for a logo.  They want a standardized helmet image that is the same style for every team.   The Browns can use theirs for the primary logo, but i bet they wouldn't want them to deviate from that template to make a different primary emphasising a helmet.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

Aren’t they still wearing their 2015 orange shade and wordmarks? If so, the erasure isn’t complete yet.

I went back and forth on the orange, but I decided on no because it's still orange and I personally like that shade. But you're right, that does still tie into the 2015 set.

As for the wordmarks, I was only talking about the uniforms.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, tBBP said:

I'm gonna repeat what I've probably repeated 1,946 times already around these parts.

@rtrich11 had probably the best idea for a  Browns primary logo...

browns1.jpg

I like that better. The C with the helmet stripe. How about the solid colors with stripes from the B logo would look like.

Brownie the Elf is whimsical and should have been the primary eons ago.

They’d have the market of whimsy all to themselves in this league but instead would rather have a logo every team has some variation of. 

• Like 7

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

23 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

The Browns and Rams should both have helmets for a logo

No, with the Rams, keep the horns. If the Rams gotten a logo, it would not fare well with fans as they are used to the horns on the helmets. I find the horns on the helmet to be awesome. I like it. Downsizing the Rams helmet where they are just like every NFL team is just not unique. The Rams and Bengals have a unique helmet and not to be touched because it is creative for 1948 and 1981 respectfully.

8 minutes ago, Silver_Star said:

No, with the Rams, keep the horns. If the Rams gotten a logo, it would not fare well with fans as they are used to the horns on the helmets. I find the horns on the helmet to be awesome. I like it. Downsizing the Rams helmet where they are just like every NFL team is just not unique. The Rams and Bengals have a unique helmet and not to be touched because it is creative for 1948 and 1981 respectfully.

He said helmets AS the logo.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Silver_Star said:

No I'm saying their logo should be your profile pic

• Like 4

3 hours ago, ManillaToad said:

No I'm saying their logo should be your profile pic

I did not say that either. I am just saying using a Ram's head is as generic as how the Ravens had to ditch the shield due to legal reasons and couldn't make anything interest that could include another shield with the bird using some Old English stuff?

But looking at the Rams, the horns on the helmet is very unique and is a mainstay since 1948.

• Huh? 1

20 hours ago, chakdaddy said:

I speculate that the league doesn't want them to have a stylized helmet for a logo.  They want a standardized helmet image that is the same style for every team.   The Browns can use theirs for the primary logo, but i bet they wouldn't want them to deviate from that template to make a different primary emphasising a helmet.

Yes and no. The Browns helmet logo is their primary, but every team has a side view and a 3/4 view in the same graphic style, per our logo guides at work. However we can't use the side view and 3/4 view for the other 31 teams. We have use the newer Revo Speed helmets if we want to use a helmet in a design. 

• Like 3

AmPJ0Ty.png 

I'm curious about the Jets alternate uniforms. If they're using the Sack Exchange jersey template, which only has two colors, will the black jersey have any green anywhere? That's my big question for next week when they reveal their new(ish) uniforms.