2024 NFL Changes

Just now, Sec19Row53 said:

But it's the same as the Brewers old font is all I got.

The Brewers numbers from their prior set?  Those were Times New Roman and very different (though, upon further review, the 2s are pretty similar).

spacer.png

They Ravens numbers are much closer to the  Diamondbacks original numbers (which nearly match the Ravens 1996-only numbers) and the numbers on the Mariners navy alts.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

1 minute ago, leopard88 said:

The Brewers numbers from their prior set?  Those were Times New Roman and very different (though, upon further review, the 2s are pretty similar).

spacer.png

They Ravens numbers are much closer to the  Diamondbacks original numbers (which nearly match the Ravens 1996-only numbers) and the numbers on the Mariners navy alts.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Ha - bad memory on my part!

• Like 1

It's where I sit.

23 minutes ago, tBBP said:

Well first, I think we all agree on the Ravens' stripeless black pants. Even replicating the helmet stripes on the black pants, if they felt the need to keep black pants, woul help immensely. (So too would replicating the braisher from the purple pants, except making it purple/white/purple/. 

To the number font, though, I'm gonna go the other way on this—thus maintaining my long-held stance—and say that aside from possibly removing the large dropshadow, I see absolutely nothing wrong with the Ravens' number font, and am STILL waiting for someone somewhere to descriptively explain exactly what about that font makes it "dated". (And no, "they're not classic block" will not suffice here. Neither will "just because they're round".) And if its a font update some want, I say be careful what you wish for. See Broncos, Denver; Texans, Houston; and Falcons, Atlanta for examples of how that wish could go horribly wrong.

I'll play a bit of devils advocate. Their number font first introduced in the 90s, and follows the late 90s and early 2000s trend of custom fonts that you would argue has only progressed through time into now. Other than the traditional block I would compare their custom font to the likes of the Lions, Patriots, Falcons, Bengals, Broncos, Chargers, Dolphins, and Eagles during that time. I'd argue that they were outdated towards the mid 2010s when Nike first took over. During this time we got more of a shift in fonts to be larger, bolder, and dropping the drop shadows. Since then a majority of these teams have updated their specific custom font or dropped it for a new one.

However not playing devils advocate anymore, my real take on their font is that it holds the test of time. I think if they followed suit like the rest of those teams and updated in the late 2010s and early 2020s we would be complaining about another Nike"fide" team with gimmicky uniforms and number font. I would have agreed that it felt outdated if you asked me 6 years ago which I get sound contradictory.  However I feel like they somehow they passed the outdated phase into nostalgic and unique to the Ravens identity. 

• Like 7

11 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

spacer.png

Completely off to the side but...how in the world were the Milwaukee Brewers legally allowed to get away with that for sooo long???

To @YelichGraphics's point: that's a good perspective to take. In some cases, things just "pass through" certain phases into, I guess, "timelessness"? I mean really at this point I don't see the Ravens—or anyone, for that matter—coming up with a number font better than what they have now, unless it's a slightly tweaked version of their current. I don't see any improvement that won't come across as predictable, robotic, or otherwise hackneyed (see Dolphins, Miami for a [non]perfect example). 

And to be transparent, I feel the same about the Eagles' current numbers...I know that's another flashpoint of contention amongst many. At this point, short of reverting to block, would a newer/different font really be much better than the current? (And I'd say the same thing had the Jaguars kept their '98-'08 numbers...that they're bringing hack this season as throwback alternates...that I'm sure are gonna garner a LOT of noise about permanent reinstatement...jus' sayin'.)

• Like 2
  • Applause 2

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

42 minutes ago, tBBP said:

reverting to block

Just do that then!!!

There is NOTHING wrong with admitting that your custom font was a mistake or is outdated and switching to a font that is (IMO) significantly better than 80% of custom fonts.

Ravens don't need a new font, though.

• Like 5

Every concept I have seen that replaces the Ravens' font is always a downgrade IMO. Even a block font would take away much of the character that their uniforms have. If there is no better option, just stick with it.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, YelichGraphics said:

However not playing devils advocate anymore, my real take on their font is that it holds the test of time. I think if they followed suit like the rest of those teams and updated in the late 2010s and early 2020s we would be complaining about another Nike"fide" team with gimmicky uniforms and number font. I would have agreed that it felt outdated if you asked me 6 years ago which I get sound contradictory.  However I feel like they somehow they passed the outdated phase into nostalgic and unique to the Ravens identity. 

Agreed, I used to feel pretty strongly that the Ravens’ font was dated & that they should change it, but now I think they’ve sort of outlasted that for it to now become a signifier of the era it was created.

90’s nostalgia seems to be really “in” right now, with the Rays’ City Connect taking heavy inspiration from that time, the Jaguars preparing to unveil their ‘90s throwback, and the Jazz’ upcoming new uniforms, among others. I guess we’re in that part of the 25-year cycle right now.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, tBBP said:

Well first, I think we all agree on the Ravens' stripeless black pants. Even replicating the helmet stripes on the black pants, if they felt the need to keep black pants, woul help immensely. (So too would replicating the braisher from the purple pants, except making it purple/white/purple/.)

To the number font, though, I'm gonna go the other way on this—thus maintaining my long-held stance—and say that aside from possibly removing the large dropshadow, I see absolutely nothing wrong with the Ravens' number font, and am STILL waiting for someone somewhere to descriptively explain exactly what about that font makes it "dated". (And no, "they're not classic block" will not suffice here. Neither will "just because they're round".) And if its a font update some want, I say be careful what you wish for. See Broncos, Denver; Texans, Houston; and Falcons, Atlanta for examples of how that wish could go horribly wrong.

I'll take a crack at this, but using a variation of your banned arguments...
With exception of a rounded (at the time very unique) Bears font, I'm hard pressed to think of a team without some sort of block font before the 90s. While some made variations on a block font (Eagles/Rams/Patriots, etc), the Ravens went a whole new direction. It is very much dated in the sense that you can point to a timeline and say "that's when unique fonts arrived" and since, many teams have reverted back to block, blockish, or Bears-esque rounded look (Rams/Bengals). That being said, dated isn't necessarily bad and I don't think they ruin the set. My gripe is less with "dated" and more that it's kind of pretty for a uniform I'd rather see with a grimy, gothic feel. I DO believe, if done well, Baltimore would look better with a simplified blackletter, blackletter/block hybrid. I'd even prefer something similar to Pitt's number set. 

I like the Ravens alternate helmet, as far as alternate helmets go.* I always preferred that logo to the primary one too. It looks good paired with the color rush jersey, but none of it needs to really exist, they don't need two purple jerseys and it will be dragged down by being head to toe purple. The mustard pants would actually look better than purple here.

As far as the Ravens uniforms as a whole, the only thing they really need to do is either get rid or the black pants, or at least add some stripes to them. I'm fine with the font. 

*While none of these non-throwback alts need to exist. The Ravens, Panthers, Vikings, Lions and Texans are pretty nice in a vacuum.

5 hours ago, tBBP said:

Well first, I think we all agree on the Ravens' stripeless black pants. Even replicating the helmet stripes on the black pants, if they felt the need to keep black pants, woul help immensely. (So too would replicating the braisher from the purple pants, except making it purple/white/purple/.)

To the number font, though, I'm gonna go the other way on this—thus maintaining my long-held stance—and say that aside from possibly removing the large dropshadow, I see absolutely nothing wrong with the Ravens' number font, and am STILL waiting for someone somewhere to descriptively explain exactly what about that font makes it "dated". (And no, "they're not classic block" will not suffice here. Neither will "just because they're round".) And if it’s e a font update some want, I say be careful what you wish for. See Broncos, Denver; Texans, Houston; and Falcons, Atlanta for examples of how that wish could go horribly wrong.

The Ravens number font is a super corny 90’s attempt to be gothic.  It looks like a stock font in Microsoft Works 4.0.  Absolutely no legitimate designer on the planet today would use it if creating a uniform from scratch.

The Broncos had the same problem.   This is no different.

Yes, the Falcons font is dog:censored:.  But the Texans and Donkeys upgraded, without question.

• Huh? 1
  • Dislike 2

The Raven font is fine, just wish it was the 96 style where the gold stood out more rather than bleeding into the 97 dropshadow on the home set

One of the fake teams in “The Replacements”’used the Ravens font lol

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

41 minutes ago, HOOVER said:

But the Texans and Donkeys upgraded, without question.

??? The Broncos font is maybe a lateral move (minor downgrade I'd say). The new Texans font is significantly worse in my opinion. I'd put it more on the level of Buccaneers alarm clock and the current Titans font.

• Like 2

I think for me, the Raven number font/design look fine as is on dark jerseys.  To me, the issue is on the white ones.  I dont know if its the purple and the black blurring a little or the shape/depth of the dropshadow but something muddles it.

ajy6sb19051-brawhit00rle_1.jpeg

26 minutes ago, TBGKon said:

I think for me, the Raven number font/design look fine as is on dark jerseys.  To me, the issue is on the white ones.  I dont know if its the purple and the black blurring a little or the shape/depth of the dropshadow but something muddles it.

ajy6sb19051-brawhit00rle_1.jpeg

I think it’s the drop shadow. The black and purple somewhat blend, so the numbers maintain their shape on those jerseys. The Eagles have a similar issue. But the Buccaneers, who use a two-tone border, maintain the number shape on both primary jerseys.

17 hours ago, MJD7 said:

Agreed, I used to feel pretty strongly that the Ravens’ font was dated & that they should change it, but now I think they’ve sort of outlasted that for it to now become a signifier of the era it was created.

90’s nostalgia seems to be really “in” right now, with the Rays’ City Connect taking heavy inspiration from that time, the Jaguars preparing to unveil their ‘90s throwback, and the Jazz’ upcoming new uniforms, among others. I guess we’re in that part of the 25-year cycle right now.

It's really interesting as someone who works for an apparel brand that does a heavy amount of throwback merchandise 90s have been way back. And you are right on the money on the 25 year cycle. What causes that trend is the kids of that generation start to make adult money and want to buy stuff that they thought was cool from their childhood. If you asked me 10 years ago about the 90s era in sports I would say it was loud and very expressive but I don't know if I would be clamoring to have any of those identities back full time. Now especially in the NHL we are seeing a resurgence back into that era especially after the past 5 years of heavy minimalistic sports design.

Which brings me to my fear of the 25 year trend for the next 10 years because I really feel like the early 2000s might be the worst professional sports have ever looked.

• Like 3
  • Applause 1

14 hours ago, HOOVER said:

The Ravens number font is a super corny 90’s attempt to be gothic.  It looks like a stock font in Microsoft Works 4.0.  Absolutely no legitimate designer on the planet today would use it if creating a uniform from scratch.

The Broncos had the same problem.   This is no different.

Yes, the Falcons font is dog:censored:.  But the Texans and Donkeys upgraded, without question.

While that's definitely the case no designer would use it today, it doesn't mean any modern design or font would be a better fit than the one they have now.

I find it strange that the Raiders app on iPhone has a logo I have NEVER seen them use before when you go to customize the icon. This is very weird of the Raiders to do, they don't have an alternate logo and never even allowed merch of anything besides the shield. between that and the current branding of the team on social media, I'm starting to get nervous about some branding changes or possibly an alternate uniform in the future.

ifR0hrG.png

1500x500

"Alternate uniform? It will never happen!" you say and I want to agree but we've seen an insane amount of "Never gonna happens" in all four major sports over the last few years. I feel like something may happen in 2025 or 2026. I don't know, it's just my personal hunch.

• Like 1

bSLCtu2.png

1 hour ago, Old School Fool said:

I find it strange that the Raiders app on iPhone has a logo I have NEVER seen them use before when you go to customize the icon. This is very weird of the Raiders to do, they don't have an alternate logo and never even allowed merch of anything besides the shield. between that and the current branding of the team on social media, I'm starting to get nervous about some branding changes or possibly an alternate uniform in the future.

ifR0hrG.png

1500x500

"Alternate uniform? It will never happen!" you say and I want to agree but we've seen an insane amount of "Never gonna happens" in all four major sports over the last few years. I feel like something may happen in 2025 or 2026. I don't know, it's just my personal hunch.

I don’t think there are any uniform “never gonna happens” left, to be honest.  I suspect the Raiders primary home and roads are about as untouchable as a uniform can be in this day and age.  But the Raiders bringing out an alternate within a year or two?  You can probably put money on that happening.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1