2024 NFL Changes

3 hours ago, fouhy12 said:

I like the new Texans font, and I also think I prefer the navy numbers and white socks. I think it needs a bit more red, but I would personally 1) make the red portion of the horn stripe wider and 2) make the NOB red.

Here's the current uniform and a rough edit I did.

2024_HOU_A3.png

IdDhzZk.png

Very nice. I don't like white socks normally, but the stripes make a big difference.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Survival79 said:

After making 36,227 posts he just disappeared. It's been 2.75 years since his last post and 2.5 years since his last activity. Has anyone heard from him?

Died of altitude poisoning from living atop the world's highest horse

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 7
  • WOAH 1

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

13 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

It's a reference to the paint used in lowrider cars, very popular in Houston.

You're thinking of candy paint which is not flakes like the Packers helmet. The Cardinals are so far the first to use this type of flake method in the NFL and both teams are useless in the execution although the Cardinals have a weird pearl like effect going on which is kinda cool I guess.

Also, I associate Lowriders with Los Angeles and Gangsta Rap more than anything else.

bSLCtu2.png

On 8/2/2024 at 10:36 AM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

At least when the Texans used the glitter there was a reason for it.

A "reason" isn't always good enough. Sure, it can be inspired by lowriders or whatnot, but when it's on the exact same color shell as your primary helmet, and the different color flake won't show up further away than from an arm's length, then it largely doesn't serve any meaningful purpose. Throw the H logo on the primary shell and most people won't notice the difference.

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

On 8/2/2024 at 8:45 AM, Sec19Row53 said:

Doesn't it just show that the league literally doesn't care about logos (like we do)? Clearly everyone knows that is the Jaguars, what's in the details of whether or not it's the correct logo?

Valid. But it would seem strange for them to go out of their way to change it on the site...I don't think they're changing back (although I would certainly welcome it), but it is interesting nevertheless. I wonder if the Jags will be doing something similar to what the Bruins did, and use this logo as a primary this year in honor of their 30 year anniversary.

• Like 3

fiowXOD.png

11 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

Also, I associate Lowriders with Los Angeles and Gangsta Rap more than anything else.

Well, Houston is basically Great Value Los Angeles, so yeah.

• LOL 4

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

9 hours ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

Valid. But it would seem strange for them to go out of their way to change it on the site...I don't think they're changing back (although I would certainly welcome it), but it is interesting nevertheless. I wonder if the Jags will be doing something similar to what the Bruins did, and use this logo as a primary this year in honor of their 30 year anniversary.

Remember when the Indigenous Persons wore two separate uniform sets fit a whole year, and the league was a-OK with it because it was some sort of anniversary, but the same season they also nixed the Seahawks having separate helmet colors for home and road? Pepperidge Farm remembers. 

• Like 1

Only thing that really bothers me with the Texans' away uni is the red stripe within the horns on the jersey. All the other red on the uniform is touching white. That kind of inconsistency bothers me so much. Wish they'd either have a white line bordering it, or move the red to be the trim on the outside of the horn (like it is on the numbers).

On 8/2/2024 at 5:04 PM, fouhy12 said:

I like the new Texans font, and I also think I prefer the navy numbers and white socks. I think it needs a bit more red, but I would personally 1) make the red portion of the horn stripe wider and 2) make the NOB red.

Here's the current uniform and a rough edit I did.

2024_HOU_A3.png

IdDhzZk.png

Agree on the Navy numbers and White socks.  I don't think it needs more Red.  If anything, I think the Red stripe on the pant is TOO thick and stands out too much.  I would've preferred a single, thin Red stripe to complement the number outline & sleeve/horn stripe, or flipping the Red & White altogether.

• Dislike 1

Re the Jets.

Lets see if I get this right

-So their new current home and away set are updated retro sets based on their 80's look

-Their 3rd jersey, is an updated black jersey from their (unpopular) last set of jerseys to match the current design template

-Their retro jerseys are the white version they wore only 5 years ago, that were updated sets that they first wore in the 60's? So this is the 2nd time they have revived this look?

For a team that has only really ever had 3 sets of jerseys over a 60 year timespan, they sure made this complicated. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, mafiaman said:

The Texans have the dumbest looking set of horns on a jersey that I have ever seen,  change my mind.

I can't recall ever having seen another instance of horns on a jersey...other than maybe the Arkansas tusk jawns from maybe a decade or so ago. Are there any other instances out there?

Anyway, now that I've gotten a better look at these things in actual game action...

evc_NFL_20240801_no_event_name_7213b408_

01j48e8jtnsh6ga3wew8.jpg

rawImage.jpg

...I have some thoughts, namely this: I like the idea of the horns...I do not love the execution of them. And that last photo really shows why: they're just...there. I know it's a sleeve cap design, but they just don't work the way, say, the sail-esque stripes work on the Vikings' sleeve caps (maybe because those stripes aren't trying to be anything more than what they are: stripes). Maybe if the horns covered more of the sleeve caps?? I mean, they make sense in regards to the brand; the execution is just off. And adding the red stripe in there seems to me like just a way to get some red in there...

...Which illustrates my other issue with the away sets, as seen here:

1920x0.jpg

That is just way too much navy...and it becomes particularly problematic when they play other navy-heavy (or in the case of the Jaguars, potentially black-heavy) teams. Not enough color pop at all...and that pants stripe really doesn't make up the deficit IMO. 

One other observation: looking at that NOB font more closely does confirm what I thought when I saw the number font the first time: the Texans/Nike further customized their already custom team font. A tad bit unnecessary if you ask me, but eh well, it is what it is.

• Like 7

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

49 minutes ago, McCall said:

robert-quinn.jpg

Yep...I forgot all about those. 🤦🏿 

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

The horns look like they are pointing in the wrong direction.

They do look better than before, before they weren’t bad but they looked like Patriots rip offs

The sad thing is the Houston Oilers had one of the greatest identities ever in sports and no matter what the Texans do they aren’t going to match that. And they aren’t even allowed to.

• Like 4