24-25 NBA changes

DJT

22 hours ago, kimball said:

I'm honestly just expected the current City Jersey being promoted to the Icon and then a similar white and black set made for the Association and Statement jerseys.

I think this is likely as well. It will be a much better set then their current one. 

On 5/2/2024 at 8:37 PM, DJT said:

My belief is the Jazz would like to have some of the elements of the rebrand completed before the June 26-27 draft, but I haven’t heard a release date.

So they not finish their rebrand yet, which means it won't likely happen in next season, but what about rumored 5 years rule? Can someone once for good confirm if that rule exist or not? @Conrad.?

4r2eer.png

1 hour ago, pepis21 said:

So they not finish their rebrand yet, which means it won't likely happen in next season, but what about rumored 5 years rule? Can someone once for good confirm if that rule exist or not? @Conrad.?

I think that’s nfl. I think nba you can do what you want

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Froob said:

I think that’s nfl. I think nba you can do what you want

In NFL yes, that rule exist, but if you read that article on mothership: https://news.sportslogos.net/2022/06/22/utah-jazz-unveil-new-logos-uniforms-and-colours-instead-choose-to-focus-on-a-throwback/basketball/

then it look like NBA also has it.

For 100% sure Jazz can change alternate uniform in offseason, because that could be done after every two seasons.

• Like 1

4r2eer.png

Question...

In T-Wolves/Nuggets, all seven games are blue (Den) vs white (Min). The Wolves are scheduled to wear their basic home Association white jersey six times and their white throwback once.  Denver is scheduled to wear various blue jerseys.  

How are these decisions made? I figured it was probably up to the home team, though in that case, I'm surprised the T-Wolves didn't get some blue at home. It's not the top seed deciding the entire series, is it?

• Like 1

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

18 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

Question...

In T-Wolves/Nuggets, all seven games are blue (Den) vs white (Min). The Wolves are scheduled to wear their basic home Association white jersey six times and their white throwback once.  Denver is scheduled to wear various blue jerseys.  

How are these decisions made? I figured it was probably up to the home team, though in that case, I'm surprised the T-Wolves didn't get some blue at home. It's not the top seed deciding the entire series, is it?

I was surprised by this, too. Not for the lack of blue, but because they didn't choose to wear the white Classic jersey more often. Seems to be the overwhelming fan favorite. 

Wearing your throwbacks in two home games in the 1st round but then not using them at all in the 2nd round is a choice. Convinced they literally flip a coin at this point

• Like 2

On 5/6/2024 at 4:22 PM, OnWis97 said:

Question...

I think the home team chooses their uniform first then the away team picks a uniform that clashes. The Wolves have been doing whiteouts at playoff games this year, so that's probably why they're wearing white for their home games. They're also 6-0 now wearing white, which probably influences things too.

I agree the throwback uniforms are definitely the favorite among fans. My guess is there might be some kind of limit on wearing throwback uniforms in the playoffs, but I don't know that for a fact.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, GoGreenGoWhite said:

I've really come around a lot on this set post 2019(?) refresh. Especially the home getup, those colors really pop! That Love's patch is really horrendous though, gotta be the worst in the NBA.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Jersey's are great. The logo is absolute garbage, heck the Love's logo is superior. 

• Like 6

22 hours ago, GoGreenGoWhite said:

I've really come around a lot on this set post 2019(?) refresh. Especially the home getup, those colors really pop! That Love's patch is really horrendous though, gotta be the worst in the NBA.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Time out...when did they switch the "OKLAHOMA CITY" and "THUNDER" scripts around on the blue and white sets? (Furthermore, why did they switch them around???)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

2 hours ago, tBBP said:

Time out...when did they switch the "OKLAHOMA CITY" and "THUNDER" scripts around on the blue and white sets? (Furthermore, why did they switch them around???)

since there’s no home or road designation anymore, they probs wear they blue at home more than white. 

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

On 5/8/2024 at 5:39 AM, GoGreenGoWhite said:

spacer.pngspacer.png

Their colors is really one redeeming thing in all that, especially when the emphasis is on orange. Even though I don't love their color palette at all, and it has a color or two too many. Maybe it's largely in contrast to many other teams that have drifted towards black and navy, on the other hand.

Those uniforms are still trash, however, with the generic font and multiple outlines, and neither did that wordmark flip make any sense. Their whole identity is being "generic", in those colors. It lacks character, and needs a whole proper redesign from the ground. None of the "deviation" attempts we've seen on various alternates have been it.

Well, they finally got onto something proper with their last City jersey, but based on the current brand assets, nevertheless.

I can't believe that glorified travel-team identity has lasted this long, but with as much as teams change these days, they're basically the Boston Celtics of the western conference.  Who'd'a thunk we'd have those for 15+ years?

• Like 2

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

4 hours ago, truepg said:

Those uniforms are still trash, however, with the generic font and multiple outlines, and neither did that wordmark flip make any sense. Their whole identity is being "generic", in those colors. It lacks character, and needs a whole proper redesign from the ground. None of the "deviation" attempts we've seen on various alternates have been it.

I couldn't disagree more. I think the simplicity in the design is balanced out by the boldness of the colors. They're not over design, yet they also don't look semi-professional. 

Other than nostalgia, it's the other reason why I love the Timberwolves' Classic uniform so much. There's character without resorting to gimmicks or novelty. 

A contrast to this would be the Cavs, where there's simplicity but no character. 

22 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

A contrast to this would be the Cavs, where there's simplicity but no character. 

Oh, I couldn't disagree more with this one. Yes, the uniforms are under-designed and basically are "summer league" uniforms, as they have been called. But the Cavs have a very solid and attractive graphic identity and assets (without going into intricacies of how the "global" logo was assembled), and a stylish, distinctive and very cohesive color palette. That's why, while being really bare and lackluster indeed, their uniforms are still more interesting than the Nuggets', for example, and definitely better than OKC's.

As a matter of fact, with all the unnecessary influx of black lately I've been complaining of myself, the Cavs are the one team whose color pattern it actually fits tremendously well and compliments the wine and gold much better than navy which it replaced. In their case adopting black was the right thing to do.

What comes to the Wolves, these Classic uniforms are nothing special nor bad per se, but also don't have the same amount of unnecessary elements thrown together while still remaining generic. I think it's the brighter shade of green that people are fascinated by this time around. They don't have nearly as much character as the tree trim unis, however,  which would be my choice over those any day of the week.

• Like 3
  • Meh 2
  • Dislike 5

6 hours ago, Old School Fool said:

I don't hope the Raptors  don't wear a black and gold alternate next season...

Whats crazy is since 2015 they've had 8(!!) jerseys that have gold on them. Kinda crazy. 

1 hour ago, truepg said:

Oh, I couldn't disagree more with this one. Yes, the uniforms are under-designed and basically are "summer league" uniforms, as they have been called. But the Cavs have a very solid and attractive graphic identity and assets (without going into intricacies of how the "global" logo was assembled), and a stylish, distinctive and very cohesive color palette. That's why, while being really bare and lackluster indeed, their uniforms are still more interesting than the Nuggets', for example, and definitely better than OKC's.

As a matter of fact, with all the unnecessary influx of black lately I've been complaining of myself, the Cavs are the one team whose color pattern it actually fits tremendously well and compliments the wine and gold much better than navy which it replaced. In their case adopting black was the right thing to do.

What comes to the Wolves, these Classic uniforms are nothing special nor bad per se, but also don't have the same amount of unnecessary elements thrown together while still remaining generic. I think it's the brighter shade of green that people are fascinated by this time around. They don't have nearly as much character as the tree trim unis, however,  which would be my choice over those any day of the week.

We're talking about two different things. I agree the Cavs have some unique elements to their branding, but I was referring specifically to uniforms. You said the Thunder's uniforms were terrible, I disagreed, and presented as an alternative a truly awful uniform, which is that of the Cavs, which even you agree look like practice jerseys. I wasn't debating the teams' respective visual identities in the whole; the Thunder logo, as most seem to agree, is pointless. But when it comes to uniforms, the Thunder set provides a bright and appealing color palette with a design that is neither too simple nor adorned with gimmicks. They're great despite the logo. If we're wondering why their uniforms have been around so long, that's the reason. 

To me, the Wolves Classics carry those same qualities and, yes, the brighter neon green certainly adds a new and welcome dimension to the look. But that isn't what makes them great. What makes them great is that they don't rely on novelty or fads to make them stand out. They're basketball uniforms that let the colors and the wordmark do the heavy lifting. 

I understand the nostalgic pull of the KG-era tree-trimmed look, but I've always thought they were too heavy on novelty and a product of their time: A shift toward darker navy at a time when that was trendy, the novelty tree-trim, a cartoonish '90s font, the aggro wolf logo. It was good in as much as it represented an era, but it was far from timeless. 

• Like 1