24-25 NBA changes

DJT

On 5/11/2024 at 11:08 PM, FiddySicks said:

Just for some context here:

The Mavs current brand and base set is only three years younger than the Denver Broncos last uniform set. And I actually think the brand itself debuted like a full year prior to that (I think Cuban released it only for the league to say he had to wait a year to actually use it). 

Yes, the Mavs unveiled their current uniforms/logo in January 2001. I was going to compare it to the timing of the Clippers' unveil this year, but even the Clippers waited until late February.

I believe the earlier than normal announcement was so they could have the new logo on T-shirts/warm-up gear at the All-Star Game and get a head start on the merchandising process.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

3 hours ago, Lights Out said:

Yes, the Mavs unveiled their current uniforms/logo in January 2001. I was going to compare it to the timing of the Clippers' unveil this year, but even the Clippers waited until late February.

I believe the earlier than normal announcement was so they could have the new logo on T-shirts/warm-up gear at the All-Star Game and get a head start on the merchandising process.

I was smack in the middle of my high school years when that set debuted. In my mind, that design will always have a European connotation - I think because Nowitzki was their star player and also because I hosted an exchange student from Central Europe in the 2001-02 school year. 

• Like 4

On 5/11/2024 at 5:59 PM, Dynasty said:

After seeing some of the DAL-OKC series, we have all this talk about the Thunder and their need of change, but the Mavericks have been going on almost a quarter of an entire century in the same look. Their color scheme is the worst of it, like what is their second color after Royal blue? Is it Navy? Silver? Black? Such a mess.

Easy, it's navy. The Mavs' identity was the double blue team before Nike came along and trashed their identity (and everyone else's) with all the useless alts. They do it better than Minnesota does it with their horrid main jerseys, Memphis with their eternally bland look, and Utah during their brief double blue era in the 00s.

Dallas is fine where they are and some of the recognizable main uniforms in the league. The blue-green Cowboy-M logo and all the uniforms associated with it were awful, and I just know that whatever this board would have them rebrand to would look like generic ass.

• Dislike 1
  • Eyeroll 2

2 hours ago, who do you think said:

Easy, it's navy. The Mavs' identity was the double blue team before Nike came along and trashed their identity (and everyone else's) with all the useless alts. They do it better than Minnesota does it with their horrid main jerseys, Memphis with their eternally bland look, and Utah during their brief double blue era in the 00s.

Dallas is fine where they are and some of the recognizable main uniforms in the league. The blue-green Cowboy-M logo and all the uniforms associated with it were awful, and I just know that whatever this board would have them rebrand to would look like generic ass.

I agree with you on the Mavs' identity having been solid from the beginning, until Nike got their hands on the league and made it a mess. The 90s' blue-green cowboy hat brand is a bit lame and not up to par either. However, the current look has run its course, in terms of aesthetics, no less. I would welcome the addition of green to their palette.

I don't put the other "double-blue" teams, as people tend to call them here, in the same equation, since double-blue is not the main thing any of their identity is based on. Memphis used to have a great identity, and a more all around-solid than the Mavs ever from the 00s' rebrand, but got watered down over time first with the removal of the inline in their jersey numbers (one of many downgrades that were introduced with Adidas' Rev30 unis) and blanded out in this latest rendition.

• Like 2

Admiral has mentioned before about how royal/kelly teams tended to be terrible and misuse the color scheme, especially when they were green-first in their branding. I think that holds when we talk about the old Dallas and Minnesota designs.

TARPLEY-obit-superJumbo.jpg

The "Saloon Clarendon" looks terrible, especially paired with a basic sans-serif "Athletic Gothic" font. Double outlines do nobody any favors. The subsequent look let the colors blend together too much. The Wolves looked a little better with their blue set, but still had double outlines at home and a generic Gothic (sans-serif) font.

1995-96-Stadium-Club-Kevin-Garnett-RC.jp

Color blocking, especially in royal/kelly, is hugely important to how a look comes across. The Seahawks and modern Canucks are the closest anybody has come to getting in right. Even the Whalers screwed up their design on the green sweater and then had their navy period.

• Like 4
  • Dislike 1

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

Admiral has mentioned before about how royal/kelly teams tended to be terrible and misuse the color scheme, especially when they were green-first in their branding. I think that holds when we talk about the old Dallas and Minnesota designs.

TARPLEY-obit-superJumbo.jpg

The "Saloon Clarendon" looks terrible, especially paired with a basic sans-serif "Athletic Gothic" font. Double outlines do nobody any favors. The subsequent look let the colors blend together too much. The Wolves looked a little better with their blue set, but still had double outlines at home and a generic Gothic (sans-serif) font.

1995-96-Stadium-Club-Kevin-Garnett-RC.jp

Color blocking, especially in royal/kelly, is hugely important to how a look comes across. The Seahawks and modern Canucks are the closest anybody has come to getting in right. Even the Whalers screwed up their design on the green sweater and then had their navy period.

Both look good to me, even if the blue is an afterthought for Dallas.  Kind of like 80s Rockets where the yellow was barely noticeable.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2

I feel like Dallas should be the blue & green team, while I'd like to see Minnesota ditch the blue and just be a black, green, and silver team. It always seemed strange during the KG era that their primary dark uniform was blue, but there was barely any blue in their other uniforms. Make the blue outline on the name & numbers of this jersey green and you'd have a pretty good start.

spacer.png

• Dislike 3

I get why many people on this board are prone to dismiss the Wolves' classic look for blandness or other design flaws, but it still fascinates me how much the team's fanbase has embraced them during this playoff run. 

Some of it has to do with their performance in those uniforms and the superstition that comes with winning in a certain uniform. But based solely on what I see on TV and social media,  I see a surprising amount of people liking them just for their simplicity and preferring them as a new standard for the team. 

I'm biased and have admitted many times to favoring these uniforms out of childhood nostalgia. I have to think the rest of the fanbase wouldn't be as fond of these if the team's modernist primary sets weren't so uninspiring. Still, I'm enjoying it, and hopeful for a return to the Classics as a full-time look, a la the NY Jets. 

• Like 7

14 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I get why many people on this board are prone to dismiss the Wolves' classic look for blandness or other design flaws, but it still fascinates me how much the team's fanbase has embraced them during this playoff run. 

Some of it has to do with their performance in those uniforms and the superstition that comes with winning in a certain uniform. But based solely on what I see on TV and social media,  I seem a surprising amount of people liking them just for their simplicity and preferring them as a new standard for the team. 

I'm biased and have admitted many times to favoring these uniforms out of childhood nostalgia. I have to think the rest of the fanbase wouldn't be as fond of these if the team's modernist primary sets weren't so uninspiring. Still, I'm enjoying it, and hopeful for a return to the Classics as a full-time look, a la the NY Jets. 

I think it's because the current Wolves white uniforms aren't great. The double blue has been a miss for them and the Wizards-esque look at the shoulders makes it worse. 

I think they would have to update the Classic because of NBA rules preventing straight throwbacks from coming back.

jOfO5Rh.pngaYLRFMy.png1FNdgQe.png

1 hour ago, NOLAPelicans23 said:

I think they would have to update the Classic because of NBA rules preventing straight throwbacks from coming back.

The way around that is simply by adding the tree trim to the classics.* Maybe a super-slight edit to the fonts on the classics, but other than that...boom, set, done.

*To be clear: the tree trim would have to be a la the mixtape City sets or whatever they were called from a year or two ago, blue and green, minus the black.

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I think it's because the current Wolves white uniforms aren't great. The double blue has been a miss for them and the Wizards-esque look at the shoulders makes it worse. 

I'd argue that they've already addressed this by using a more neon-like shade of green than the original set. 

Also, is that really a rule? Has anybody actually tried to revert to a throwback full time and been denied? 

• Like 2

They should try to do something like Philly did then, where they took elements of their old stuff and basically changed just minute details.

b63l7nnxd3bl0cxemi3qahbbp.gifPhiladelphia_76ers_logo.svg

philadelphia-76ers-george-mcginnis-march

1720945083.0.jpgEfPB0X0U4AAbcxj.jpg:large

ss_20240116_223158635_2462201.jpg

• Like 9
  • Applause 3
  • Yawn 1

The wolves would be so easy to change. Keep the current logos, make color scheme black, green, silver, use the KG Christmas tree trim jerseys with current wordmark and number font. Call it a day.

• Like 1
  • Dislike 1

On 5/18/2024 at 4:19 AM, truepg said:

I agree with you on the Mavs' identity having been solid from the beginning, until Nike got their hands on the league and made it a mess. The 90s' blue-green cowboy hat brand is a bit lame and not up to par either. However, the current look has run its course, in terms of aesthetics, no less. I would welcome the addition of green to their palette.

I don't put the other "double-blue" teams, as people tend to call them here, in the same equation, since double-blue is not the main thing any of their identity is based on. Memphis used to have a great identity, and a more all around-solid than the Mavs ever from the 00s' rebrand, but got watered down over time first with the removal of the inline in their jersey numbers (one of many downgrades that were introduced with Adidas' Rev30 unis) and blanded out in this latest rendition.

Reposting what I put in the other thread bc it felt relevant re: Mavs' identity.

I never really thought about it or questioned that the Mavs' only hav blue black and silver on their logos.

But their primary uniforms have always had royal, navy, and silver no black.

Like BFBS doesn't even exist for them, if anything it's NFNS. I can't believe I never noticed that.

Is there a story on the conception of their 2000s rebrand? I'm very curious how they ended up going those routes.

I'm actually now very curious how Minnesotans/Twolves fans would feel if the Wolves axed blue completely out of their colorway. Somehow, I feel that wolf gray (huh!) a bright emerald green like what they have now, and some black trim would be a striking color combo on its own--and unique within the NBA landscape.

Something like this:

Charcoal-Emerald-Green-Color-Palette-102

Or, if a brighter green, maybe something like...this???

1000_F_422309573_A3wN3fkRgPgYQ86disQ3d2G

(Y'all gon' make me come out of concept retirement, ain't y'all? 😆)

• Like 5

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

28 minutes ago, tBBP said:

I'm actually now very curious how Minnesotans/Twolves fans would feel if the Wolves axed blue completely out of their colorway. Somehow, I feel that wolf gray (huh!) a bright emerald green like what they have now, and some black trim would be a striking color combo on its own--and unique within the NBA landscape.

Something like this:

Charcoal-Emerald-Green-Color-Palette-102

Or, if a brighter green, maybe something like...this???

1000_F_422309573_A3wN3fkRgPgYQ86disQ3d2G

(Y'all gon' make me come out of concept retirement, ain't y'all? 😆)

I really like the first combo. 

I thought for a while that something like that would work for the Wild too. For some reason the red in their scheme doesn't do it for me. Something about that first color scheme feels very Minnesota to me. 

• Like 1