24-25 NBA changes

DJT

The Mavericks have one of the worst brands in the league. The logos/uniforms they came with in 2001 weren't great, but they've since been tinkered with into oblivion. I guess they were, broadly speaking, the NBA's preeminent blue team for a while, but the Warriors are now, so there's not even that. You know what the Mavs' brand has really been all these years? Mark Cuban being vaguely annoying. The visuals are secondary.

• Like 14

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

47 minutes ago, DJT said:

so now the teams with new uniform set next season are:

Clippers (we've seen)

Pelicans

Jazz

Are the Pelicans and Jazz confirmed? Jazz are dropping one of their jerseys this year (presumably next too) but has it been confirmed their doing something different?

1 hour ago, WBeltz said:

Are the Pelicans and Jazz confirmed? Jazz are dropping one of their jerseys this year (presumably next too) but has it been confirmed their doing something different?

I don't think any have been confirmed. Just rumors. Jazz beat writer saying what he has heard and he said "new jerseys" not singular. Conrad said not to get hopes up about a rebrand so i'd imagine it will be pretty minimal.

23 hours ago, WBeltz said:

• Like 2

Sorry to quickly pivot, but seeing "global logo" made me think for a second about each team's "global" logo -- and man. 

Is the Houston Rockets technically official logo the worst in American pro sports? 

6830_houston_rockets-primary-2020.png

• LOL 1
  • Hurl 2

7 hours ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

Sorry to quickly pivot, but seeing "global logo" made me think for a second about each team's "global" logo -- and man. 

Is the Houston Rockets technically official logo the worst in American pro sports? 

Gah... how was this approved. 

1. Wordmark style doesn't match the R logo (blocky vs curved). Houston R-Rockets, nice stutter.

2. What is happening behind the K?

3. The lines on the basketball... what are they doing 

4. The ribbon (?) around the basketball is oriented up, while the ring around the R is oriented down

5. The flat side of the ribbon points east-west... while the flat side of the R ring points north-south 

The Rockets have been a disaster starting in 2010 when adidas introduced the rev30 uniforms. Before then they had shiny fabric with a number that matched their wordmark. I imagine there was some sort of manufacturing issue and adidas offered them the pacers font as a fix... Even when they changed the wordmark and got new uniforms in 2019 they STILL didnt change the number. mind boggling

spacer.png

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

No, it isn’t, but I don’t see any reason why they had to come up with this. I’m sure there was a primary logo version with the wordmark included. And it’s not like they had to add a basketball, the logo already featured a basketball motif in the form of the rim.

Looking at the original font now, it sure does look a bit too Chinese in style, but it could’ve been just updated and streamlined to an extent. I like that overall character style for the Rockets which the R logo has too.

The Agency font, on the other hand, is too bland, and has been that for the Pacers as much.

A Pistons uniform tracker account on Twitter is claiming their Statement editions are being retired. I haven't heard that from anywhere else, so I'm not sure if it's just wishful thinking since they are eligible to be changed after two years, or the account has inside information. Certainly hoping it's accurate since I find the current Statement jerseys abysmal. Hopefully they might finally bring back either the 2000s or 90s red jerseys, which for some unknown reason they continually refuse to do.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

25 minutes ago, Conrad. said:

Sadly, they are not.

Figured as much. The organization has been going out of their way to minimize red in their color scheme - even eliminating the classic red and blue court design they'd been using since the Bad Boys days.

I'll take this as a confirmation they are changing the Statement jerseys at least. I'll hold out some hope that the new ones are an improvement, and at least somewhat congruent to the team branding this time.

On 3/28/2024 at 7:20 AM, PK22 said:

spacer.png

Loved the Kansas State lavender uniforms from a few years back. Would really love a team to own lavender as a color.

The Lakers should be the first team to jump on this. The perfect bridge from the two tone blue hardwood classics and a modern city edition, which have often been real stinkers. I'd much rather see a rotation of Yellow/Forum Blue/White/ LAvender (sorry) and occasionally Black

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

khmovcnezy06c3nm05ccn0oj2.png

OKC would like to have a word...

• Like 12

I cannot emphasize enough how wrong of a take that is. Is the Thunder logo a bit generic? Yeah, like egregiously generic. 

But there's a different between stylistically being off and what the Rockets logo is, which is slapping an existing logo on top of some haphazardly thrown together graphic just to retroactively meet a league requirement. 

If anyone on these boards had to actually watch someone make that terrible rendering and then just place a scaled-down Rockets logo on it, you would think it's an April Fool's joke. 

That Thunder logo, whatever you may think of it, took some actual graphic design skills. Not a lot. It's pretty bad. But that Rockets logo is on an entirely different level of bad. 

• Like 7
  • Dislike 2

On 4/2/2024 at 2:25 PM, DJT said:

i'd imagine it will be pretty minimal.

Can they get any more minimal?

• LOL 1

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

23 hours ago, Brave-Bird 08 said:

I cannot emphasize enough how wrong of a take that is. Is the Thunder logo a bit generic? Yeah, like egregiously generic. 

But there's a different between stylistically being off and what the Rockets logo is, which is slapping an existing logo on top of some haphazardly thrown together graphic just to retroactively meet a league requirement. 

If anyone on these boards had to actually watch someone make that terrible rendering and then just place a scaled-down Rockets logo on it, you would think it's an April Fool's joke. 

That Thunder logo, whatever you may think of it, took some actual graphic design skills. Not a lot. It's pretty bad. But that Rockets logo is on an entirely different level of bad. 

The Rockets logo isn't perfect by any means, but you can at least read the full team name which should be one base line for global marks, and you can see some semblance of an abstract planet/ring/space tie in.

I couldn't describe the Thunder OKC logo if I had to. When it initially leaked I thought it was an abstract fish. But it's also not generic enough to work like a Brooklyn Nets type logo.

3 hours ago, shaydre1019 said:

The Rockets logo isn't perfect by any means, but you can at least read the full team name which should be one base line for global marks, and you can see some semblance of an abstract planet/ring/space tie in.

I couldn't describe the Thunder OKC logo if I had to. When it initially leaked I thought it was an abstract fish. But it's also not generic enough to work like a Brooklyn Nets type logo.

Because you are in Houston I am going to give the benefit of the doubt for maybe not being willing to accept it. 

But, there's so much wrong with the Rockets logo. The "banner" stops at the keyline but the words keep wrapping around. The font is not the Rockets font and does not tie into the R monogram that is just lazily slapped on top of the ball. There is black and two separate shades of grey -- and again, a random red logo at a completely different scale with thin white trim just PLOPPED DOWN on top of a graphic that otherwise looks like it was whipped up by an amateur in a high school Graphic Design 101 class. 

The Thunder logo is congruent and professionally done, it's just incredibly generic and boring. It means...nothing. 

Still, one is INFINITELY worse than the other. It actually is kind of hurting my brain that anyone on these boards would be convinced otherwise. 

• Like 4
  • Dislike 1