Inaccuracies that drive you nuts

Gothamite

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Mitchell and Ness Cincinnati Reds Cooperstown Collection jerseys have the white stripe in the collar WAY too wide. It was actually a pinstripe.

Although this jersey looks a bit more accurate, I have seen many Reds throwbacks where the C-Reds logo is too small and too high on the chest, and the player name on the back is way too small. The Reds used huge lettering for player names in the 70s and early 80s.

mn-re76h05.jpg

As a longtime Broncos fan, the inaccuracies that bug me the most revolve around the 1994 throwbacks, which were supposed to be based on the uniforms from 1965-66. The throwbacks used a serif font, as opposed to the more distinctive san-serif style of the originals. The sleeve numbers were much larger and the blue sleeve insert a bit smaller than the throwbacks represented. Also, the original home jersey had a white collar (orange on the throwbacks) and the original road jersey had a blure color (orange on the throwbacks). This may seem like nitpicking (which it is), but it is exactly these details that make all the difference. Mitchell and Ness still sells these inaccurate updates; I'd pay top-dollar if they ever came out with a truly accurate throwback from this era.

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

Here's one I've discussed here before in another thread.

A 1985 Mario Lemieux Sunday Yellow rookie jersey. Mario only wore this jersey one year, so every photo of him wearing it would have the exact same fonts and number placement.

Still, you find this on ebay with the wrong sans-serif font for the name, wrong postion for the sleeve numbers, which are therefore the wrong colors. They are also too thick and not wide enough as well. Then they also slapped a captian's "C" on the chest for good measure, even though Lemieux was not a captain as a rookie.

1098018164457_lemieux_22.jpg

To cut the seller some slack, I assume he gets these pre-lettered from CCM that way, which would make these mistakes that much more inexcusable.

Here is another sellers version, with everything just as it should be for comparison.

05_1_b.JPG

By the way, the yellow color of the jersey and the crest on the bottom one match exactly in person. The fact the crest appears to be brighter is due to the flash photography and the sheen of the stiching being a bit reflective.

JeffB

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

There are a couple that bother me.

The Broncos logo for one, the old 'D' logo. There are actually two different versions, as I have mentioned before in a different thread.

Also, the Reebok replica NBA jerseys don't have any of the 'side piping' that goes on the sides of the jerseys.

Talk about inaccuracies, what about all those T-shirts, pennants and other paraphernalia that say "Kansas City Royals - 1985 World Series Champs"?

GRRR! :P

One of the things that bothers me is baseball hat logos not matching other team logos. The Yankees, Tigers and Royals are the first three that pop into my mind. In fact, Kansas City used a third interlocking "KC" logo on their spring training uniform in the mid-1990s that was completely different from their hat or primary logos.

i tell ya what, while it doesn't bother me as much, there's one thing i've noticed since BP hats were first introduced: the Cubs' versions use the C-walking bear. the one on the jersey and the one on the hat are slightly different: where all of the bear is visible on all the jerseys it's on, the back foot is obscured by teh C on the BP hats. why that is, i have no clue.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

I hate on those generic replica baseball jerseys where they just use a one-color generic font. I also hate those generic football replicas where the striping is usually missing and the main logo, no matter who it is, is on the sleeve. This isn't an incosistency, but I hate the Reebok NFL Equipment shield on the collars of the jerseys. It's too big and it should just be the NFL shield.

KISSwall09.jpg

I noticed last night that the colts still have a blue facemask on the helmet at midfield. That drove me nuts all night since they now have grey facemasks.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Mitchell & Ness' version of the 1978 SF Giants road jersey is wrong in a number of ways including 1) style of lettering and 2) contour of lettering on arch. Other than that it's well worth the $350 at retail. (M&N on right, of course)

1978%20GIANTS.jpg

M&Ns 78 Padres Home jersey SHOULD have the number on the front, but M&N REFUSES to put it on, even after i pointed it out to them. That one really irks me.

Also all the jerks on eBay who sell jerseys as 'Authentic' when they are not.

A replica jersey is worth $350 --when it's wrong?

Even if it isn't--that's overpriced to me, unless it's a collector's item of extreme sentimental value (even then?) or collector's value...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

the NY on the hat is slightly different than the NY on the jersey.

How so. I've never noticed.

the "NY" on the hat is thinner then the "NY" on the jersey. i can understand being upset at a company making an inaccurate throwback, but complaining about the "NY" thing with the yankees is just stupid. i had to have someone show me the logos side by side to see the difference.

Hey, if M&N or anyone else is licensed to sell something like this as "authentic," they should take 7 or 8 minutes, do a little research and get it right. Especially if they are charging big $$ at retail.

You are damn right. M&N brought lots of bucks selling those throwback jerseys... and some of them have inaccuracies!!! Damnit!

With those prices all you expect from the M&N guys is excellency. And excellency is often absent there.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

This one's been covered before, but that thread wasn't as extensive as this one...

The hole in the "R" of the Red Sox home script looks like a "B" (on both the home white and the alt red), but in the logo, on the batting jersey and on the team jackets, the hole in the "R" is a circle.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

the NY on the hat is slightly different than the NY on the jersey.

How so. I've never noticed.

the "NY" on the hat is thinner then the "NY" on the jersey. i can understand being upset at a company making an inaccurate throwback, but complaining about the "NY" thing with the yankees is just stupid. i had to have someone show me the logos side by side to see the difference.

The Yankees do seem to have two separate and distinct interlocking NYs. Look at the NY painted behind home plate, and for the really cheapo replica caps:

NYY_1258.gif

Now, what is on the uniforms and caps is this:

NYY_1262.gif

So, there you have it.

Sometimes inaccuracies work well.

Take, for example, the Detroit Tigers' Olde English D. Well, there are really two different Ds, one for the cap and one for the home uniform. And you know what, they both look good.

Maybe that's an intentional inaccuracy.

Archived