"Gigantes?"

brinkeguthrie

woah! As a fello 24-alohic (cant wait for otmorrow tonight!most actin packed finale yet!) I see what you mean. Looks just like Heller!

Awesome! Great to meet another 24-aholic! I'm having such a hard time keeping away from the spoilers. I seriously can't wait! XP

If that's were Secretary Heller, I wonder who he'd be pitching to... :blink:

galaxy.png

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
:shocked: Woah, i watched the first 7 innings of that game and i didnt even notice.

7 innings? Now I'm watching the game and it's going top 4th inning.

I'm going to patrol eBay.com to catch some "Gigantes" jersey...!!!

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

My next question would have to be where an elephant fits in to the Athletics?

Courtesy TheBaseballPage.com ...

History of the White Elephant

In 1901 Connie Mack and his Philadelphia Athletics helped form the American League. The following year, New York Giants Manager John McGraw dismissed the A's with contempt, calling them "The White Elephants," implying Mack shouldn't be allowed to spend money without supervision. Mack defiantly adopted the White Elephant as the team insignia, and in 1902, the A's won the American League pennant.

The White Elephant remained the team's mascot until later that decade, when it finally made its way to an A's uniform. Its first appearance was on the team's sweaters. In about 1918, the Elephant finally saw game action when Mack had the pachyderm symbol (in blue with a white "A" inside) placed on the left sleeve of every player. By 1920, Mack had fully adopted the A's Elephant as the team's symbol. Gone was the traditional A" on the front of the jersey. In was a blue elephant logo. But after a few poor seasons, Mack decided a change was in order. So, in 1924, the blue elephant was replaced by the white elephant on the team's jersey. The new-look pachyderm seemed to do the trick, as the A's played better ball for the next few years.

In 1928, Mack decided the elephant had worn out its brief welcome on the A's jersey fronts. He replaced it with the familiar "A" on the uniforms, and the A's went on to win two World Championships and an AL crown in the next three years. This resurgence was probably due more to the additions of Jimmie Foxx, Al Simmons, Lefty Grove, Mickey Cochrane, et al., than to the elephant's absence. That was the last year for the elephant on the A's uniform until 1955, when the A's, now in Kansas City, added an elephant patch to their left sleeves. But when Charlie Finley purchased the team in the early sixties, the elephant mascot was once again sent packing, replaced by, of all animals, a mule. That was the last of the loveable A's mascot until 1988. The elephant once again proved to be a "good luck" charm for the A's, as since its return the Athletics have won three American League pennants and one world championship.

What's interesting about the A's elephant is that only on the road uniform in 1988 was the elephant actually white. (Unforunately, it didn't work in World Series) The team switched to the green one to stand out more on the grey uniforms. The logo was changed in 1993 to a meaner looking elephant and the A's collapsed. The original returned in 1995.

The 1993-94 patch was like this without the yellow circle:

OAK_2299.gif

Let it be known as well that the A's still use the "A's" from their 1982-92 days on their caps.

I'll be looking for Gigantes stuff on ebay as well...if I have anymore money for it. :P

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

I couldn't tell when watching the game on TV but was the patch on the sleeve in Spanish also?

no, the sleeve logo was in english still.

Why not take the extra step?

I'd like to see the whole league do this on weekend for the latin players and fans.

Team names in Spanish:

Liga Americana

Este

Medias Rojas

Yankees

Orioles

Azulejos

Devil Rays

Central:

Medias Blancas

Reales

Indios

Mellizos

Tigres

Oeste:

Angelinos de Los Angeles en Anaheim

Marineros

Atleticos

Vigilantes

Liga Nacional

Este:

Bravos

Marlins

Metropolitanos

Nacionales

Filis

Central:

Rojos

Cerveceros

Cachorros

Piratas

Astros

Cardinales

Oeste:

Diamondbacks

Padres

Rockies

Gigantes

Dodgers

1997 | 2003

I wouldn't mind seeing how they pull off all those different jerseys. You'd have to come up with something for the teams who's names don't translate. Would you just exclude them?

How 'bout a Filis concept while you're at it?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Logo server (sorry Chris) has a translation option and for Spanish it gives the teams & logos for Ligas De Béisbol-

It uses babelfish which isn't always too accurate though-

It does give these teams-

Ángeles De Los Ángeles

Gemelos De Minnesota

Guardabosques De Tejas

Montañeses de Nueva York

Trampistas De Los Ángeles

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Archived