The Canadian Football League

ZBoyer

For all of those who are Canadian:

Do you really watch the games and follow the league as closely as one would follow a major sports league? By that I mean, is it one of the major topics of discussion in Canada?

Reason I ask is that I see a lot of topics about their uniforms and logos and such, and I don't know a whole lot about the league but it seems many do.

And, even though this is a remedial question, what are the differences? Is the field measured in meters? I know I've seen the goal posts in front of the endzones, which look REALLY deep, but that's about all I know.

We, Canadians, don't follow it as intensively, as say the NHL or NFL, but it does have quite a bit of media coverage so I'm guessing there is quite a bit of discussion up here.

Just to let you know:

The measurements are in yards

End zones are 20 yards deep

To find out more about Canadian Football, this link would help:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_football

I saw, I came, I left.

We, Canadians, don't follow it as intensively, as say the NHL or NFL

Speak for yourself! I follow it just as, if not more closely than the NHL, and way more than the NFL.

While the top players make more for 18 regualr season games than I'd make in a few years--many of the rank & file players don't make too much more, and most have off season jobs--I've worked with some, and we used to get CFL players as substitute teachers from time to time.

ANd anyone who knows where I got my user name from should realize--I'm a big CFL fan--and not the only one...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Myself I watch CFL football as much as NFL. I know the key players in NFL from the news as well as CFL. I like Ottawa in the CFL cause they're close to my home town and always rooted for Ottawa teams. It's hard to find an NFL team to root for (closest to my home town are the Pats and Bills). I liked the Titans ever since their run in the playoffs against Buffalo in '99. They had heart that year. And that was the year I stared following NFL more closely.

I will always know the difference between players in the NHL (that's a given). CFL I know some, but ask me who's on the defensive line on Saskachtewan and then on Oakland and I wouldn't have a clue.

I Canadian and American football is different as American and European football (or soccer). They're different games that are closely similar.

American football has the run and the dranning of the clock, low scoring. Like the last years of NHL. CFL has less downs, more throwing and higher scoring. What the NHL wants to be. You hardly ever see a CFL team running the clock. Just tonight Ottawa 21-Saskatchwan 16, BC 40-Calgary 27. How many times do you see the NFL score that many on a regular night?

Friar%20Canuck.jpgfriarcanuck.png

American football has the run and the dranning of the clock, low scoring. Like the last years of NHL. CFL has less downs, more throwing and higher scoring. What the NHL wants to be. You hardly ever see a CFL team running the clock. Just tonight Ottawa 21-Saskatchwan 16, BC 40-Calgary 27. How many times do you see the NFL score that many on a regular night?

You see plenty of 21 and 27 point scores in the NFL in a given season. I concede, though, that you see plenty of zeroes and threes as well.

I think the reason you have higher scores in the CFL has a lot to do with a shorter play clock (20 seconds vs. 40 in the NFL) and one less down (3 vs. 4). That combination leads to more plays on offense and as a result, more offensive possessions. Give a good NFL team the same number of possessions a CFL team might get in a typical game and I'm sure it could put 40 points on the board.

Sodboy13 said:
As you watch more basketball, you will learn to appreciate the difference between "defense" and "couldn't find the rim with a pair of bloodhounds and a Garmin."

meet the new page, not the same as the old page.

I may have miss read some of the post but it seems you guys missed the three most important things about the CFL

1. 3 downs, not 4 more special teams involved

2. the sive of the league 9 soon to be 10 teams not 32 even game has a rivarly feel to it.

3. The grey cup. this year is the 93rd grey cup super bowl only been around for 40 years I think.

Argos 4 life WHAT, WHAT! back to back grey cups

untitled-6.jpg

personally, i only watch the CFL because i am so starved for football in the summer. when the NFL season starts, thats all i watch.

now thats not to say it isn't good football. it is. its just a bit different.

Im Canadian and I could not care less about the CFL.

Its a junior league IMO, and I find it kind of lame.

Proud owner of the Utah Pioneers of the Continnental Baseball League.

GBCanada.png

PACKER BACKER FOREVER!

I would say I watch the CFL every week or every other week. It is good, entertaining football.

I am so annoyed by Toronto area sports fans who think it's minor leagueish and want an NFL team. It's a shame cause they've been spoiled with a great Argo's team this year.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

I would say I watch the CFL every week or every other week. It is good, entertaining football.

I am so annoyed by Toronto area sports fans who think it's minor leagueish and want an NFL team. It's a shame cause they've been spoiled with a great Argo's team this year.

The Argos seem to have a habit of going from first to worst & back again....

Over & Over

The football is exciting--the rule differences are positive --overall...

No reason why you can't enjoy both--even if you vastly prefer one over the other...

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

I'm a Yank that likes the CFL...went to a game in Baltimore (I was going to school just over the border in Pennsylvania..it was only a 45 min. trip down from here to Memorial Stadium...) and have kind of followed casually ever since...

If I had to identify with any one team in the CFL, it'd probably be Montreal (seeing they were the old Baltimore team)..but I'm not knowledgeable enough to call myself a fan of the Als.

It's pretty fast paced (love how it's pretty much throwing on every down) and it's pretty exciting...

Glad MSG/FSNY shows a game or two every weekend...

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

I would hate for Toronto to get an NFL team bacause that would mean the end of the Argos.

The NFL doesn't want to stamp out the CFL just yet. The NFL basically not only gets away with using the CFL as their developmental league without having to label it as such, but the NFL also gets away with not being sued by failed pro leagues like the XFL because if they claim anti-trust practices by the NFL, the NFL can turn around and say "Oh ya? The CFL doesn't have any troubles staying alive!"

Archived