MLB 05-06 Hot Stove Thread

KennyRock

• Replies 509
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WSCR reports that the Cubs are taking a look at Milton Bradley (bad call) but he's leaning towards signing with Oakland. The Cubs are 1 of about 10 teams looking at Juan Pierre right now, hopefully we'll get a deal done this week.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

WSCR reports that the Cubs are taking a look at Milton Bradley (bad call) but he's leaning towards signing with Oakland. The Cubs are 1 of about 10 teams looking at Juan Pierre right now, hopefully we'll get a deal done this week.

seems both teams (us and yous) got throw for a loop by our big ticket signing. Should be interesting to see how the Cubs and Cardinals fill out about 5 outfield positions (between the two) when there are about zero decent outfield free agents availible.

I am however hopeful after the Reds traded within the division. I could see Dunn, Kearns or Willy Mo coming to St. Louis or Chicago.

Sorry, but I'm not a huge Pierre fan anymore. You've got to move him to left cause his arm sucks and he's just a speedy guy. He could help out, but I would hope that whoever gets him doesn't give up too much. Unless its the cubs, then I hope its Zambrano ;) (Of course I'm kidding)

Hopefully the Cubs can add Bobby Abreu to the OF. The talk is Prior, but I can't see that happening.

I can hope, though.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Some news:

1. The Cubs and Marlins have reached a tentative deal that would send Juan Pierre to the north side for three minor leaguers. (LINK)

2. The Red Sox and Padres are very, very close to completing a Mark Loretta-for-Doug Mirabelli swap. Ongoing talks are reportedly occuring to try and include David Wells somehow. If Wells is included in the deal, the Padres would likely send either Scott Linebrink or Akinori Otsuka (sp?) to Boston.

3. Johnny Damon and Scott Boras have had extended talks with the Red Sox, Yankees and a "mystery team" (most likely the Tigers).

4. The Braves and Red Sox are discussing a deal that would send SS Edgar Renteria to Atlanta.

Three more

All courtesy of ESPN Radio

--The Mets have pretty much agreed to a deal with Oakland that would land the Mets Barry Zito in exchange for some prospects (I'd have to think Milledge is amongst them). Talks have progressed from the trade itself to working out an extension for Zito (who's scheduled to become a FA after the 06 season).

--Another Mets deal has them possibly sending Kris Benson to the Royals for Jeremy Affeldt and/or Mike MacDougal....The Mets would like to land both guys, while the Royals are more keen on dealing one.

--And it looks like the Astros are NOT going to offer Roger Clemens arbitration by the midnight deadline tonight (that according to FoxSports.com). That would mean The Rocket would be a FA and the 'Stros couldn't negotiate with him until May 1st.

FANTASY TEAMS

Housatonic U. Dragons (NCFA Basketball): 16-6 (8-4 Conf.)--National Runner-Up

Jersey State U. (NCFA Football): Inaugural Year - 2006

Motor City Silverhawks (WArFL): 9-4 (3rd--National Conf.)

Lehigh Valley Ironmen (WAmFL): Inaugural Season--2006

New England Marauders RFC (RLI): 6-0-7 (6th place)

Detroit Spirit (AA): 3-6 (T-4th--Patriot League)

Brooklyn Atlantics (IBF): 10-5 (1st--Appalachian Conf.)

Boston Mariners RFU (WRU): Coming Soon!

New York Americans (SHL): Inaugural Season - 2006-07

"The agent for Nomar Garciaparra, Arn Tellem, met yesterday with the Toronto Blue Jays, according to general manager J.P. Ricciardi. 'Nomar's a player we have interest in,' said Ricciardi, who will now focus on adding offence to his lineup."

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Ricky Nolasco and Renyel Pinto are the minor leaguers that the cubs would send to florida in this fire sale. I'm happy the Cubs finally got this done, but it doesn't improve their lineup. Dusty Baker doesn't coach fundamentals (doesn't really do much coaching at all actually), and unless they utilize the tools Pierre brings to the table, I don't see much improvement. Aubrey Huff is being whispered around in trade talks for Corey Patterson, cash, and prospects. I'd like to see a Podsednik-like effort out of Pierre this season if this trade is indeed pulled off.

Also, look for the Cubs to get at least one more starting pitcher out of free agency, no names have been mentioned as of yet. I'd love to see a Kevin Milwood/Jeff Weaver in Cubby blue.

Here's an article from ChicagoSports.com about the Cubs dealings and rumors:

The Cubs are on hold after making trade proposals to two separate teams Tuesday, one involving Florida center fielder Juan Pierre.

General manager Jim Hendry said either trade could happen Wednesday, or either one could be could declined by the other teams.

"I can't put a time frame on it," Hendry said.

The Marlins were thought to be trying to find a better proposal for Pierre than what the Cubs were offering, rumored to be pitcher Sergio Mitre and Double-A pitchers Ricky Nolasco and Reynel Pinto.

Hendry's second proposed trade also involved one player coming in return for several Cubs. He has been in contact with Tampa Bay, which has left-handed right fielder Aubrey Huff and shortstop Julio Lugo available.

Lugo also was the subject of a rumored three-way deal Tuesday night, with Tampa Bay receiving prospects in return and Atlanta getting shortstop Edgar Renteria from Boston. The Cubs have other pitchers, notably Jerome Williams and Todd Wellemeyer, plus Corey Patterson and Todd Walker who could be included in a trade.

If the Cubs obtained Pierre and Lugo, it would change their lineup dramatically. They would bat first and second, and Lugo likely would play shortstop. Huff would be the power bat to replace Jeromy Burnitz in right field, but the Cubs also have talked with other teams about left-handed hitters.

Players who would fit that mold and might be available include the Mets' Cliff Floyd and the Diamondbacks' Shawn Green, both of whom have Chicago roots, and the Phillies Bobby Abreu, who would command a high return in pitching talent.

As for Pierre, 28, he was paid $3.7 million last season and is eligible for salary arbitration, which could take his salary as high as $5 million for next season despite an off-year statistically. He still stole 57 bases and hit .276.

The Marlins are anxious to dump his salary before leaving the winter meetings Thursday.

Mitre was 2-5 with a 5.37 ERA in 21 appearances with the Cubs. He started seven games and threw one shutout. Nolasco is a highly regarded 23-year-old right-hander who was 14-3 with a 2.89 ERA at West Tenn.

With the loss of desired free agent Rafael Furcal right before the winter meetings, Hendry has been on a whirlwind schedule in an attempt to make up. He was asked if he could end up overpaying in talent because of the Cubs' glaring needs.

Turns out that Sergio Mitre will also be a part of this trade, pending physicals.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Cubs should resign Nomar. Injury risk or not, you gotta try and get some use out of him. NEIFI PEREZ, people.

The Cubs have to decide by the end of today about what they are going to do with Nomar. Either offer him arbatration or let him go. If they let him go he can't be signed until May 1st by the Cubs.

I think the Cubs will be making a trade for a SS.

Johnny Estrada is going to the Dimondbacks in exchange for Lance Cormier and Oscar Villareal (with the Braves). ( link )

Notwithstanding his statistical dip after last season's run-in w/ Darin Erstad, Estrada is a solid offensive player who will hit plenty of doubles and drive in runs at Chase Field.

His salary last season was $460,000 and he cost the Diamondbacks two middle relievers who posted ERAs over 5.00 in 2005 -- so the price is right.

I like this deal. Arizona got a guy whose productivity should be comparable to Paul LoDuca's, but for much less money. Here's hoping they upgrade other parts of the team w/ dollars they might have spent on Ramon Hernandez or Bengie Molina.

For new wunderkind GM Josh Byrnes, this is a solid first move.

The Braves should have given Estrada another year to prove that he is over his collision with Erstad. Not only did he suffered a bad concussion, but his back was injured as well. I had a feeling that McCann was going to be the man at catcher now. This almost gives me another reason to hate Erstad again. :mad:

Cubs should resign Nomar. Injury risk or not, you gotta try and get some use out of him. NEIFI PEREZ, people.

The Cubs have to decide by the end of today about what they are going to do with Nomar. Either offer him arbatration or let him go. If they let him go he can't be signed until May 1st by the Cubs.

I think the Cubs will be making a trade for a SS.

Highly, highly doubtful. Nomar'll probably go to Toronto. The Cubs are trying to wheel a deal for Julio Lugo and/or Aubrey Huff.

twitter

Archived