New Vikings Unforms *merged*

RickV

• Replies 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply
wow please bears and packers, stay the same...

No kidding. The NFL should have years ago implemented a rule that the teams in the Tradition Division (Bears, Packers, Vikings, Lions) were barred from wearing embarrassing uniforms. The Lions and now the Vikings would now be in violation of such a rule.

I mentioned this thought on another board but I think it bears repeating here. I am under the impression that the powers that be in each league should limit the number of teams that are allowed to change thier STYLE per year.

In other words, only one team per year is allowed to give in to the new trend in a given year. Only one team to add black, switch to the unitard, or (heaven forbid) go to the mismatch sleeve, etc. The point being that by the time a second or third team got around to thier turn, the trend would be over (hopefully)

BroncosSig.jpg

that would be a good Idea but I don' think the decison of the NFL to tell a team they can or cant change their jerseys.

And really the Bears did ruin thiers..orange... ugh

As a Packer fan, these new Vikings uniforms worry me.

I'm afraid other teams won't be able to stop laughing and will fall behind early in most games.

Seriously, those pants are awful. I want an official ruling right now that somebody can't be called for clipping or a block in the back unless it's behind the full width of those pants panels with Harry the Viqueen on the side.

Except for the matched-up piping in the back, the jerseys are OK. But they should not have changed the helmet logo. The old one was clean, basic and follows my rule that an 8-year-old should be able to draw it and have it look recognizable. The new one looks like one of those Red Sox batting helmets covered in pine tar.

Not that I'm prejudiced.

(By the way, as with most unis, they look better with someone in 'em and the Vikes have done a good job of updating their web site to show players in the new stuff.)

139775815_cc7da57bca_o.jpg

I got the pics from a couple of chronic football fans like myself. Who knows, maybe this was released so when the real ones come out we will be excited? Cover your eyes...

purple.jpg

white.jpg

These definitely would be preferable. Small changes but still with a similar design.

Oh well...

These definitely would be preferable. Small changes but still with a similar design.

Oh well...

To each their own, I guess.

For me, the only thing appealing about that concept is the striped socks.

I got the pics from a couple of chronic football fans like myself. Who knows, maybe this was released so when the real ones come out we will be excited? Cover your eyes...

purple.jpg

white.jpg

Oh well...

God I'm glad it's not those.

mav23.gif

Totally agreed that the concepts shown above are much better designed and thought out than what the Vikings ended up with. Even with the Viking head on the helmet, seemed to be more traditionally Vikings then the Patriots/Texans knock offs they ended up with.

Totally agreed that the concepts shown above are much better designed and thought out than what the Vikings ended up with. Even with the Viking head on the helmet, seemed to be more traditionally Vikings then the Patriots/Texans knock offs they ended up with.

The concepts above, while not Broncos or Patsies ripoffs, are most certainly regurgitations of unis that have been done repeatedly since the 1960's. It's been done so very much that they're not recognized as ripoffs of newer uniforms, they're now called "old school" or "traditional" styles. This to me is the hypocracy of complaining about the side panels and piping and the like on the new unis. Will this side panel/piping/navy blue avalanche hold out over time?

Dunno.

But I do know that simply doing old standard sleeve/pant stripes isn't necessarily good design, but it is familiar design. To me, that's not really hard to do, nor is it well thought out.

The Victims' new unis seem well done to me for the most part. The pant striping, while not totally new, is still a very cool update with the Norseman Logo in the extended color block.

Speaking as a Viking fan, I absolutely hate those uniforms pictured above. The Norseman doesn't belong on the helmets. The Vikings never wore stripes on the helmets and never should. Those two alone make me gag at the sight of those uniforms.

Now, here's why I like the new look:

It's modern, yet not too modern looking.

They kept the horns on the helmets.

The stripes on the shoulders look pretty darn good, especially when they form horns on the back. I said before that horns don't belong on shoulders, but the way they did it was subtle and it looks good.

The purple pants look fantastic.

Sure, there are some tweaks they could do to the new uniforms. And, yes, I know I don't speak for all Vikings fans when saying they look good. But the majority of the folks in my office (who are almost all Viking fans) sure like them.

It's an interesting thought. Does eveyone love the designs from the 60's because they were great designs or is it the Rose-Colored-Glasses thing? I do love the matching jersey/sox stripes, the simpler logos, all that. It's hard not to argue that the Chargers, the Bills, the Falcons all looked better 40 years ago (40!!...oh, Lord!), but is that really true of every team? And as long as the jersey's are taylored the way the are now, with vertually NO sleeves at all, I'd rather see team address that, like the Vikings seem to have done, than pretend the old designs still fit (Bears, Steelers, Browns).

I believe that the new Viking jersey (like the current Bronco jersey) was left empty from the shoulder down because somebody looked at last year's road jersey, and saw collar, numbers, stripes, and Norseman, all cramed onto about six inches of some huge linesman's shoulders. Not attractive. Look at that classic Jet's jersey (LOVE IT... but...), now the contrasting sleeve isn't even a sleeve anymore... just a patch. The Colts have half stripes, the Bears look like different players are wearing different uniforms! This is the reality... there just isn't room for the Vikings to wear the jersey design they wore in the 60's.

Another thought... during the late 70's / early 80's, baseball went through a bad period, right? Sky blue roads, Pirates wearing softball outfits, the Astros... well what can you say? But now, everything is SO BORING! 15 years ago I never wouldv'e believed I'd say this but now I'd love to see 1 or 2 (Bluejays, Royals) teams bring back the powder blues. And honestly, the Astros aren't the Astros anymore... at least the rainbow bellys were recognizable.

The Vikings face the Cardinals this year. Battle of the Teams With Jerseys That Look Like Each Other. P.S. I love both teams jerseys.

Note to self: Do not watch the Vikings/Cardinals game.

Fact of the matter is, some people are just flat out uncomfortable with change, no matter what it is. The Vikings could have made an incredibly subtle change, and there would be people going all 'OMFG!!! It's not the exect uniform it was in 1974!!!'

Like the design or not, the Vikings won't see any signifigant difference in merchandising income the way things are structered. This was not an issue of greed. This was an issue of an owner with some stones saying 'You know what? Times change, styles change, and what we've had for a long time worked a lot better then than it does now. Time to try something different and suited for current trends.'

I applaud him for it. I applaud the Patriots, the Broncos, the Cardinals, the Buccaneers, and even the Bills, Bengals, et all. Sure, some of the results didn't turn out exactly right, and some did, but at least there was an effort to keep pace with the times and to keep their brands relevent. No one has totally strayed from tradition, and the intent was just, even if the execution was right in a couple cases.

He's not. There's still numbers on the back, names above the numbers, smaller numbers on the front, still two armholes, a neck hole, etc, on all 32 teams' jerseys.

Tradition, in this case, does not mean full-single-color jerseys with one-color numbers and names. Heck, the NFL's tradition back further than the "tradition" of the 60s is much crazier than these designs--the Bears' orange stripes, Packer blue, etc.

Times change.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Times change.

I would just urge change for the better instead of change for change sake. New Vikings is not an improvement. It's just something different manufactured to sell jerseys. Why not go all the way and add black outlines throughout and don't forget the double outlined drop shadow numbers.

Archived