Help me decide

rainmaker17

Usually I have a rooting interest in the Super Bowl, either pulling for a team I like or hoping some one I can't stand gets hammered. This is the first year in a long time I really have nothing against either team. I've never been to either city, have no family ties etc. so who do I root for? Here are some pros and cons for each team.

COLTS

pro-

-city of Indianapolis has never been a Super Bowl winner

-seems like a team with character guys

-I really admire and respect Tony Dungy

con-

-if they win the already constant Peyton Manning worship will skyrocket

-I'm an NFC fan

BEARS

pro-

-storied traditional team

-plays in the NFC (see above)

-might lead to the resurection of Bill Swerski's superfans on SNL

-I also admire Lovie Smith, who is from Texas

con-

-I'm not a fan of Rex Grossman. He seems cocky to me.

-SOME Bears' fans were tasteless to the Saints fans

I know it's not a lot to go on. Your thoughts?

newsig.jpg

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
might lead to the resurection of Bill Swerski's superfans on SNL

yeah, but there would be no Chris Farley. :cry:

The reasons I am rooting for the colts (probably won't help you though):

- Marlin Jackson (who sealed the game against the patriots with an INT) and Cato June of the Colts both played for Michigan.

- Even though he is from my city, Muhsin Muhammad of the bears played for Michigan State.

- The bears play in the NFC North and they are not the lions, therefore, I do not like them.

- I still think the bears aren't the best team in the NFC.

So yeah, it was close but I am pulling for the colts, though I actually dislike both teams, they can't both lose.

MegatronSig2.jpg

I'm a Lions fan, so I have the same decision to make every year at this time, who to pull for. Like you, I usually boil it down to who the good guys and bad guys are. But there's no T.O. type to root against this year. I made up my mind at conference championship time that I was going to root for whoever came out of the AFC. There just wasn't a single NFC team that interested me in any way, and I could easily pull for either Indy or NE. So when the Colts won, I got on board with them. Manning and Dungy are nothing but hard-working, likable types who excel at their jobs. I'd just like to see them both win a title; especially Manning though, because a championship or two before retirement would validate him as one of the best ever.

Short story long, root for the Colts.

I'm cheering for the Bears. I just don't like the Colts, they eliminated the Broncos twice in recent history. Also one of my friend is a Colts fan and he has been driving me crazy with the Colts are so good talk for the last two years.

Edit- The Bears were actually my 3rd playoff bandwagon team, isn't that great?

After the Broncos were eliminated I cheered for the Jets and Saints. If those teams lost I would cheer for the Bears and that is what ultimately happened.

Well Dungy built a Super Bowl Team in Tampa, but could not get over the hump and one year after he left they won it all with his players.

Dungy opened the door for other Black Coaches like Lovie Smith by giving them jobs on his staff.

So if there is any fairness the Colts should win.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

I'm on three boards at work (you know the kind...pick a square get a score. Yes...wagering is involved!). So, since my Pats are out of it, I'm going more for my numbers than a team.

When Bobby Orr was asked why he always wore a cup

but not a helmet,he replied:"I can always get

someone else to do my thinking for me!"

Colts.

Think of which QB you'd rather see hoisting the trophy? Peyton Manning, the ultimate professional and one of the hardest working QB's in the league, or Rex Grossman, who struggled in a game because he partied a wee bit too hard on New Years?

IUe6Hvh.png

I'm another guy who has no interest in either team, and I think I'll be going for the Bears, simply because I like their fans better. Bears fans seem real, whereas a lot of Colts fans seem like bandwagon fans (of the last few years) who can't name anyone on Indy besides Peyton and Marvin.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

This won't help...Count me among the no vested interest crowd. I'm just hoping for a great game. I don't care who wins. I like both teams, I like both coaches, both teams have great uniforms. Personally I'd like to see a 27-24 game that's won in the last minute. I'm with officeglenn's buddy, as long as everyone has fun who cares who wins.

Maybe you should lay down some cash. That will give you a reason to root for one team or the other.

BB52Big.jpg

The Colts have a few former Syracuse Orange on the team. They're my choice. The Colts and some good chicken wings.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

To me, the trump card is the city of Chicago.

It's just hard for me to root for any Chicago team because of that. Chicago, like New York, tries to push its culture on other folks. The people in Chicago are very snobbish about anything outside of the Windy City. They're snobbish about food -- they make a big deal about it and think it's a great sin if you put ketchup on hot dogs, when the rest of the world knows they're just hot dogs, for crying out loud, not filet mignon. And they're extremely snobbish about their sports teams.

Indianapolis, on the other hand, appears to be a better representative middle America -- not presumptuous, not trying to force itself on the rest of America, a place where a guy could get a hot dog with WHATEVER HE WANTS on it.

Now, to be honest, if I had a choice of picking which city I'd rather visit, it would be Chicago. But if I picked a city that I think represent me better, by far it's Indy.

Archived