San Diego Charger Uni changes?

webby17

Is there anyone on this board who wishes they would have gone with a gray facemask (a la the Cardinals)?

The fact that the Chargers didn't do that will allow me to sleep peacefully at night (at least until the next team thinks of reintroducing the gray).

If they put a gray facemask on that beautiful uniform then it would've ruined the whole thing. It already ruined my opinion of the Cardinals (Modern uniform design + gray facemask = WTF?).

I wished it was a gray facemask.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why? Why should a facemask be grey, when there is no single grey element anywhere else in the uniform or identity package? The argument of "grey facemasks are better, because all facemasks used to be grey before manufactures figured out how to color them" holds no water for me. That's like lobbying for baseball teams to go back to wool uniforms with tie-down necks. And no helmets.

Oh, and the first NFL franchise to wear a facemask color other than grey? Chargers.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

That's like lobbying for baseball teams to go back to wool uniforms with tie-down necks. And no helmets.

They're no good without zippers. <_<

[Croatia National Team Manager Slavan] Bilic then went on to explain how Croatia's success can partially be put down to his progressive man-management techniques. "Sometimes I lie in the bed with my players. I go to the room of Vedran Corluka and Luka Modric when I see they have a problem and I lie in bed with them and we talk for 10 minutes." Maybe Capello could try getting through to his players this way too? Although how far he'd get with Joe Cole jumping up and down on the mattress and Rooney demanding to be read his favourite page from The Very Hungry Caterpillar is open to question. --The Guardian's Fiver, 08 September 2008

Attention: In order to obtain maximum enjoyment from your stay at the CCSLC, the reader is advised that the above post may contain large amounts of sarcasm, dry humour, or statements which should not be taken in any true sort of seriousness. As a result, the above poster absolves himself of any and all blame in the event that a forum user responds to the aforementioned post without taking the previous notice into account. Thank you for your cooperation, and enjoy your stay at the CCSLC.

Why? Why should a facemask be grey, when there is no single grey element anywhere else in the uniform or identity package? The argument of "grey facemasks are better, because all facemasks used to be grey before manufactures figured out how to color them" holds no water for me. That's like lobbying for baseball teams to go back to wool uniforms with tie-down necks. And no helmets.

Oh, and the first NFL franchise to wear a facemask color other than grey? Chargers.

Can I get an Amen???

The only thing that may not be good about these is that they have a lot of the same elements of the Titans uniforms. Same color helmet, same color facemask, same color home jersey, same color socks, and with the white pants, same color pants.

Luckily, I think the Titans will be wearing the baby blue pants more often (especially on the road) next year, so it may be a moot point.

Those might just be my favourite numbers in pro sports at the moment.

I love how the navy/powder/yellow/white are balanced as well.

Excellent upgrade that doesn't change their look in any major way, just updated and modernised a bit.

liverpool-1.png

The number font is awful and the addition of powder blue just doesn't work. Those shades of blue are ugly together and anytime you throw in extra trim just to include a color (see Bills) it looks like...well, like you threw in extra trim for the sake of including a color.

Also, is the number font on the helmet going to match the jersey? If so... :wacko:

I like the white helmet but it would be a much stronger set with block numbers and no powder blue.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Hell Yeah!!!!!!!!! Did you hear that Colts, Browns, Cards, USC Trojans, UCLA Bruins, etc. Let's get rid of tie down hockey collars too!!

KISSwall09.jpg

It's a very good set, but I have to confess that I am not completely sold on it.

First, I really liked the navy helmet, the white just doesn't do it for me.

Second, I hate, and always have, when the Chargers put a thick stripe of color around the bolt. I much

prefer when the bolt is an independent element, such as on recent years' navy jerseys. Why does it need

a white stripe, or a dark stripe? The bolt looked fine on the previous navy jersey with no white block, and if it can be on the new white helmet without a huge navy stripe across the helmet, why do they need a wide navy stripe on the jersey or on the pants? Can't the bolt stand on its own? As much as the uniforms are a nice modernization of tradition, I wish they could have kept the jerseys and pants stripeless and just put large bolts on them.

Just one opinion.

I think the Chargers and Chiefs both went with colored facemasks in 1973. This started a trend, as 11 more teams would go to colored facemasks in the next 4 years. 12 more teams would do the same between 1980-85.

Peyton Manning looks ridiculous wearing a grey Revolution facemask. Gray masks are only OK if the team is still wearing the 2-bar facemask. It's called progress, folks...get used to it!

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

I think the Chargers and Chiefs both went with colored facemasks in 1973. This started a trend, as 11 more teams would go to colored facemasks in the next 4 years. 12 more teams would do the same between 1980-85.

Peyton Manning looks ridiculous wearing a grey Revolution facemask. Gray masks are only OK if the team is still wearing the 2-bar facemask. It's called progress, folks...get used to it!

Actually both teams went to colored facemasks in 1974 - in fact, the Chargers still wore the light blue jerseys and white helmets in 1973. The Chargers were the first team to go with the colored face masks when they introduced their dark royal uniforms before pre-season in 1974, and all players wore the yellow masks. The Chiefs began switching to white facemasks during 1974, but if I'm remembering correctly only the players who wore Dungard facemasks wore white all season - it took a while for them to switch the Schutt masks, and I don't think they ever went to white Riddell plastic masks until years later (and then only the single bar for kickers). Back then, the NFL wasn't quite so anal about the facemask color because I don't think it occurred to them that a team might want something other than grey.

Now if the Chargers had done a full throwback, they should have used the grey facemask. Since they went modern, they did the right thing by using navy. I don't mind the grey on the Colts or Browns since they wear old-school uniforms that are only minorly different than what they wore in 1957. I think the Cardinals should have changed to black, white or matching cardinal red when they went modern two years ago.

Archived