2007-2008 NHL Logos & Uniforms

BBM

There is actually a reason for the orca on the canucks logo. The General Motors Place is situated in a place called orca bay.......

The orca also looks like a totem. There is a lot of totems in the vancouver region.

the only problem is with the name: Canucks

The canucks never made any references to Johnny Canuck himself. Not in the logo, or with the mascot....only in the name.....

I think they should make a reference to johnny canuck on their next jersey (even if it's only on the shoulder patch)

Seriously now, if you're just going to talk out of your butt and make up a bunch of crap what is the point of listening to you.

Orca Bay is company, not a body of water.

A totem pole is native art. Ditto for the Orca. What's your point? Because there's a few totem poles in Stanley Park the Canucks have to have a stupid Orca on their jersey?

Johnny Canuck WAS actually featured on the teams jerseys at one point.

later

DEATH TO REEBOK

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If i had to pick jerseys for the Leafs (if i were a diehard fan...)

MapleLeafsHeritageJerseyPlaque.jpg

I'd go with 1st row 2nd from the right and 2nd row 2nd from the right.

Only problem with your selections (while I own the blue one) is that they were worn during a time where our best players were alienated by owners and sent packing. Those are our "dark years", a time of losing and not much hope. Too much bad stigma attached to that look sadly...

dude, those jerseys were the ugliest abominations the Leafs ever wore!

and why bring them in? so we can look like Nashville? ugh

go with the 60's if any changes are made. if they ever return to those ballard years jerseys i'll puke

I live in Vancouver, i was born in Vancouver, i'm not oblivious to our history...which isn't really that deep to begin with. What, at one point we had the tallest building in the british empire (structure still stands today, used in movies plenty of times because of the elaborate design in the lobby/elevator area). The killer whales? When i think Killer whales, i think of seattle or marine world/land, sea world. We might have a few sightings of Killer whales here and there up further north, but aside from that, not much.

Did you never go to the Vancouver Aquarium when they had Orcas? There's a reason this was at one point their logo: VanAquaLogo.gif

Orcas are indigenous to pretty much all BC waters, the transient sub species especially. You aren't exactly going to see them in Vancouver Harbour, but then any large marine life tends to stay out of those sort of areas. I've no idea why you would think Orcas have more to do with Seattle than they do with Vancouver.

So you're saying that because the Vancouver Aquarium once held Orcas in captivity - a situation that was considered cruel by more than a few - they are somehow a symbol of Vancouver?

Huh?

The common belief on this board that Orcas "represent the north west region of BC and Vancouver" is ridiculous. They don't hold any particular significance or have any great importance within Canadian culture and they are NOT in any way UNIQUE to the west coast.

I hate to point out the obvious, but Orcas are indigenous to every continent in the world. You are just as likely to see an Orca in Mexico as you are in BC. Ironically, you won't see any Orcas at all in Vancouver now that the Aquarium has stopped keeping them in captivity.

As for the Orca's suitability as a logo for the Vancouver Canucks I think most outsiders don't realize the connotations that is has for many Canucks fans. Besides the obvious fact that it has nothing to do with the name or spirit of the Canucks, it represents a corporate sellout to many here. Longstanding fans will forever see a link between Orca Bay and that :censored:ing whale logo. You cannot argue against that fact or try to reason with us. We will never see it any differently. It will never be the true symbol of the Canucks.

Never.

I like the Whale logo for a few simple reasons:

1. It forms a "C" which is very clear to see. (Mind you, a "V" would be much better as two other Canadian teams have a C as their main logo)

2. It is done in a style which synonymous to Vancouver and B.C. This kind of "Native Art" is often associated with the west coast and thus represents Vancouver's location well. I don't care if the logo has a whale, bird, duck, etc, its the style in which it is done which to me, represents the city very well. Who knows, a thunderbird coming out of a V could probably make a wicked logo, as long as its done in the same style which makes me think "Vancouver".

3. Its a simple logo. Its a C with a whale coming out of ice. Nothing more than that, no other hidden images or messages. It is effective and works well as a primary logo. It is no "stick n' rink" but at least it isnt just a coloured block with a line through it. Hell, that the kind of logo Patsox could make in Paint if he wanted. It isn't boring and it isn't too busy is essentially what I am trying to say.

I wouldn't be upset to see this logo go but I also would not be bothered to see it remain. The "stick n' rink" logo would suck if used as a full time logo. After about a season or two, the jerseys will become "too plain" and people will start bickering for something more. Its just too plain and should be kept as a shoulder logo where it worked very well. I don't care why people find different reasons to hate the whale logo... because most of those reasons are completely stupid. Who cares if it had a corporate tie... a lot of logos do these days. So what if people believe it doesnt represent Vancouver because whales and ice arent normally seen there... its the fact it represents native art associated to the region and ice, the surface hockey is played on which makes this logo ok with me. I guess we will see in about a month or two what the Canucks truly have in mind for their jerseys... and I am sure some people will love it and some will hate it and this bickering will continue and hopefully get a little more constructive.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

I vcx would like to hereby state that i did not start the latest argument about the "Orca" or "Killer whale breaking through ice" logo that is currently worn by the Canucks of Vancouver. Nor did i reiterate the "Stick & Rink" or "Skate" logo in any way as the logo we should wear, nor did i egg on or light a fire under any said poster to do so themselves (argue about the jersey and/or logo). Thank you for your time.

Signed, yours truly,

VCX.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

I like the Whale logo for a few simple reasons:

1. It forms a "C" which is very clear to see. (Mind you, a "V" would be much better as two other Canadian teams have a C as their main logo)

2. It is done in a style which synonymous to Vancouver and B.C. This kind of "Native Art" is often associated with the west coast and thus represents Vancouver's location well. I don't care if the logo has a whale, bird, duck, etc, its the style in which it is done which to me, represents the city very well. Who knows, a thunderbird coming out of a V could probably make a wicked logo, as long as its done in the same style which makes me think "Vancouver".

3. Its a simple logo. Its a C with a whale coming out of ice. Nothing more than that, no other hidden images or messages. It is effective and works well as a primary logo. It is no "stick n' rink" but at least it isnt just a coloured block with a line through it. Hell, that the kind of logo Patsox could make in Paint if he wanted. It isn't boring and it isn't too busy is essentially what I am trying to say.

I wouldn't be upset to see this logo go but I also would not be bothered to see it remain. The "stick n' rink" logo would suck if used as a full time logo. After about a season or two, the jerseys will become "too plain" and people will start bickering for something more. Its just too plain and should be kept as a shoulder logo where it worked very well. I don't care why people find different reasons to hate the whale logo... because most of those reasons are completely stupid. Who cares if it had a corporate tie... a lot of logos do these days. So what if people believe it doesnt represent Vancouver because whales and ice arent normally seen there... its the fact it represents native art associated to the region and ice, the surface hockey is played on which makes this logo ok with me. I guess we will see in about a month or two what the Canucks truly have in mind for their jerseys... and I am sure some people will love it and some will hate it and this bickering will continue and hopefully get a little more constructive.

I don't understand why a small amount of native art found in touristy areas defines Vancouver to people that don't live here. Actually scratch that. It makes perfect sense to me now.

DEATH TO REEBOK

I vcx would like to hereby state that i did not start the latest argument about the "Orca" or "Killer whale breaking through ice" logo that is currently worn by the Canucks of Vancouver. Nor did i reiterate the "Stick & Rink" or "Skate" logo in any way as the logo we should wear, nor did i egg on or light a fire under any said poster to do so themselves (argue about the jersey and/or logo). Thank you for your time.

Signed, yours truly,

VCX.

You did actually...

Hi, how are you?

Discussion & Argument are 2 different things...I stated facts to back it up and left it as that, notice how i am talking about the leaf jerseys and the penguins logo change?

Yup yup...giggity giggity goo.

OFF TOPIC: gotta go to a picnic tomorrow and there will be kids around, but a lot of people my age (26) and older...would it be okay for me to get hammered out of my mind or should i wait till i get home? It'll be 24 degree's celcius + so i'm thinking bombs away with beer.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

Not that I want to contribute to the derailing of this thread and the complete lack of actual news therein, but these are the things that stick out the most in my mind from my visit to Vancouver...

3. The amazing native art, especially the totem poles in Stanley Park (and the orca statue at the aquarium, which actually reminds me of the Canucks logo)

2. All the buildings appear to have been constructed using an eerie greenish-colored glass

1. The waitresses at Earl's on Robson St. are smokin' hot

Considering those things, I find no objection to the orca logo. I think if they go blue-green with it it will look really sharp.

(And the stick-and-rink logo actually looks like some kind of weird grinning face to me.)

Not that I want to contribute to the derailing of this thread and the complete lack of actual news therein, but these are the things that stick out the most in my mind from my visit to Vancouver...

3. The amazing native art, especially the totem poles in Stanley Park (and the orca statue at the aquarium, which actually reminds me of the Canucks logo)

2. All the buildings appear to have been constructed using an eerie greenish-colored glass

1. The waitresses at Earl's on Robson St. are smokin' hot

Considering those things, I find no objection to the orca logo. I think if they go blue-green with it it will look really sharp.

(And the stick-and-rink logo actually looks like some kind of weird grinning face to me.)

Why don't the Canucks just make their logo a green and blue statue of a really hot chick. :upside:

teamsnew2.png

I forgot how Stanley Park (home to the hobo's, drunk bums, and other shady nutjobs) represents our city...i always forget this part of our city..that and how native art is like totally EVERYWHERE, it's even on my junk, omg help!

Geez, give it a rest...suddenly there are plenty of new tourists to our city and they all seem to be running into inspirations for our logo...amazing how when in the 70's they totally missed this when it was more apparent then, amazing, astonishing, gnarly, totally wicked no?

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

Hey i'm all for getting off the topic for the love of hockey, i tried to.

I think it'll stay on the bottom right, although in the jerseys that have been unveiled, i haven't even noticed it at all, they might just not put it on the jersey altogether.

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

So much debate about all the jerseys the Canucks have had over the years. Let's look at this realistically.

1-The Stick & Rink (aka the smiley face, aka the big ugly block)

Downside:It's a blatant rip-off of the logo for the greatest NHL team ever, the Habs, who have won 24 Stanley Cups. The people of Vancouver wanted a logo that made them look like winners so they ripped off the Canadiens' logo. They had next to no success with that thing on their chest, in fact they were much worse than Buffalo at the time, who came in to existence at the same time in 1970-71. I challenge anyone to look at these times as positive times for the Vancouver Canucks. And lastly, that logo is as boring as watching two flies engage in sexual intercourse. IT'S A BLOCK! Sure, some people will try to tell you it's a rink or the letter C... but it's not, it's a block with a hockey stick stuck up it's butt.

Upside:It seems to have fan approval, but I don't think that has very much to do with the logo. It's their first logo and if you want to erase all this madness of changing logos 57 times, then you should probably go back to the first one. The colours are really nice, the nicest out of all the Canucks' uniforms. It sort of conveys a water theme and what with Vancouver being a coastal city and all, that is quite appropriate. The stripes are simple & classic, making it clear that this is a team with somewhat of a history.

2-The V-neck (aka oww my eyes)

Downside: They look like the bad guys from some disco sci-fi movie. Remarkably ugly, especially the yellow ones.

Upside: Nothing... oh wait, Tiger Williams played in them.

3-The Abstract Skate (aka the planet Saturn, aka the diet Pepsi logo)

Downside: Who even wears skates like that anymore? It looks like a cowboy boot with a blade or, worse yet, to some people, it doesn't even look like anything at all. It does not look like a professional team's logo, it's too weird to be something that all fans will embrace. The colours are really outadated too. I mean come on... orange, yellow, red & black. It's not very cool to wear those colours, unless you happen to be in the 70's or early 80's. Yellow and orange is a really bad combination on any sports uniform.

Upside: It's a work of art. You can't stop looking at this thing, it's a really interesting looking boot/skate thing. The writing they used to write the word Canucks is really old school and that's not something you would see on newer jerseys. The abstract skate yellow jerseys are much nicer than the V-neck yellow jerseys and they kind of make you miss the days when teams wore yellow jerseys at home. They wore that logo for about 10 years and the team had some pretty good seasons. They went to the finals with that logo and with a pretty darn good team , featuring: Pavel Bure, Trevor Linden, Geoff Courtnall & Kirk MacLean.

4-The Orca (aka that friggin whale, aka the loser logo)

Downside: It's a corporate logo. Nobody wants to dish out 90$ to go see some corporation play hockey. And this corporation (Orca Bay) didn't do a good job of keeping a competitive product on the ice. Lots of losing seasons over the years & one or two President's trophies, if any. It represents a whale, not a Canuck, and don't let anybody else tell you otherwise. A whale is an animal that lives in the sea. A Canuck is a canadian citizen that lives on land and plays hockey. Also, those colours have always brought to mind the colours that the Colorado Avalanche use and are not really original considering they both play in the same division. That silver stripe they have on the jersey is one of the ugliest things in the NHL today. They make them look like friggin astronauts.

Upside: It looks like a professional team's logo and that goes a long way. It is clearly a whale and everyone can see that, no room for interpretation. A whale is something to be feared, as opposed to a skate or a hockey rink. The native art they used to represent the whale is a nice touch too, and makes it stand out from other, more generic logos. The Orca "C" is way nicer than the rink & stick "C", because it has some definition to it and is not a block. They have been using it for almost 10 years, giving it almost as long a run as any other Canucks logo. If you were to finally settle for a logo for this team, maybe this should be the one. Besides, the owners like it.

5-Any third jersey they ever had was god awful.

The Verdict: The best colours were the blue & the green, while the best logo was the orca. So what do we do here folks? I know, let's combine them into a jersey that, contrary to all the previous ones, doesn't suck. And guess what? That's what they're doing. So let's just hope they don't screw it up and offer the fans a good uniform because this team has been through enough.

And just thank your lucky stars your not a Senators fan, cause we're still eagerly awaiting for our good jerseys to come.

Maybe this year.

thecatch.jpg

So any new leaks? any new concepts people have made that they want to share in hopes of what they think the jerseys might look like according to rumours?

....i'm resisting the urge people....

LETS GO PENGUINS!

5x Stanley Cup Champions

torontomapleleafsvf3.png

I just found a leaked Leafs jersey. I think it might be real. I don't like it though, it rips off the nashville predators jerseys.

you are an idiot. that is clearly fake. notice how the shading is the exact same as it is on the capitals jersey. obvious photsh..er...ms paint job. ^_^

PvO6ZWJ.png

and my take on the Canucks logos as an outsider comes from my own city's logos. The Columbus Blue Jackets are in a similar situation as the Canucks. They both chose a nickname that has created some trouble for designers trying to come up with something as intangible as a Canuck or a Blue Jacket. At first the Blue Jackets had no clue what they were so when the team was announced they introduced a Bee wearing a civil war uniform. I guess it makes sense in that a yellow jacket was wearing a blue jacket, but it was also totally friggin stupid. This isn't the south, Columbus isn't swarming with Bees and thus the reason why the logo lasted only about five years (98-03). Next came the CBJ logo or the CJB logo. It was another attempt at symbolizing what a blue jacket is, the problem was that it wasn't really anything at all. It was ribbon layed over a hockey stick forming three letters. It was lazy and uninspired, and when spoken out loud from left to right it read, Columbus Jackets Blue. The Jackets were a team without an identity, really. And then the greatest thing ever happened, the third jersey. The third jersey introduced two logos, one that said this is Columbus Ohio, and another that spoke to explain the nickname. The secondary logo even incorporates hockey as it has two crossed sticks on the cap. When you put the two logos together it creates a visual identity that shows outsiders who they are and why they're called the blue jackets.

So why did I say all of this? Mostly because it seems that the Vancouver Canucks have an identity crisis like the Jackets did. The solution could be simple. Make a primary logo that represents Vancouver whether that be a "V" with mountains, lumberjacks, killer whales whatever, as long as it represents Vancouver. The stick and rink logo is not representative of anything at all, it is truly a terrible, terrible logo. The first time I saw it, I had no idea what team it was for or what it meant (I actually thought it was european) which goes to show its ineffectiveness as a logo for anything. It is a horrible secondary logo and an even worse primary logo. Once they have a logo that represents vancouver on the chest, just as representative as a wordmark reading vancouver, then go with a shoulder logo that compliments the chest mark. Put johnny canuck in an oval that says canucks in the border, just for an example. So instead of trying to incorporate both civic identity and team nickname identity into one logo, which can be very difficult with something as intangible as a canuck, use both primary and secondary logos to compliment each other and build a whole identity.

thank you for your time.

PvO6ZWJ.png

torontomapleleafsvf3.png

I just found a leaked Leafs jersey. I think it might be real. I don't like it though, it rips off the nashville predators jerseys.

you are an idiot. that is clearly fake. notice how the shading is the exact same as it is on the capitals jersey. obvious photsh..er...ms paint job. ^_^

I?m pretty sure he wasn?t trying to pass it off as the real thing. For one thing there?s no authentic NHL patch at the bottom and the logo is obviously screen printed on. :rolleyes:

zzPEfBm.png

Archived