2007-2008 NHL Logos & Uniforms

BBM

The Sabres blue is looking a lot lighter this year, Pantone do you have confirmation of this?

when you compare it to last years unis for sale on the nhlshop page it's very noticable.

I know that the Sabres' PANTONE color of blue is lighter than the color of the jerseys last year. I do recall hearing Quinn say something along the lines of "they turned out darker then we expected". Maybe they couldn't match the right color with the old materials.

• Replies 5.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm gonna try something here. I am going to fix as much of the new NHL as I can, in only 10 steps. The only rule I have for myself is that I have to work within the templates that Reebok made (in other words, I have to work within what already exists). Here is what I would do:

1. Edmonton and San Jose swap templates. Although it would be a bit of a downgrade for the Sharks, it has already been shown in this thread that they can look pretty good with the Florida/Edmonton template. This is a MAJOR upgrade for Edmonton. They end up looking a lot like they looked during their Stanley Cup years.

2. The VANCOUVER wordmark is removed from the Canucks jerseys.

3. Minnesota uses their home template (red jersey) for both of their jerseys. Their away jersey is cream-colored, rather than white.

4. Dallas uses their logo on both jerseys. The DALLAS wordmark and front numbers are gone from the home.

5. Nashville uses the same logo on both jerseys (the one without the triangle and wordmark).

6. The t-shirt sleeves are removed from Nashville's home jerseys. They sleeves are now all blue. Since they already have the same logo on both jerseys (step 5), they now have a very nice uniform set.

7. The Leafs get waist stripes.

8. So does Dallas.

9. Atlanta uses their home template for both home and away jerseys. As much as I dislike the one-sleeve design, I hate the discrepancy between their jerseys more. On their away jerseys, the sleeve stripe would be colored light blue. They would finally have a unique and consistent look.

10. Calgary's jerseys are swapped with ANY OTHER TEMPLATE. (I would even accept Buffalo.)

Certainly an overall improvment.

1. Sure. I think that template would hurt SJ less than EDM. Still have patches on SJ, so the top not so bare.

2. Absolutely. Maybe work some green into the logo.

3. How about they use the road template and go to green for the jersey? Makes them unique (not blue, black or red). (OK, plus keeps my green wild jersey looking reasonably not out of date).

4. Absolutely. Maybe make them green too.

5. Absolutely

6. Absolutely

7. Absolutely

8. Absolutely

9. I'd go to the road design because I hate the goofy one-sleeve stripe design.

10. Agreed. And remove the flags.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

HUGE IMAGE

I'm gonna try something here. I am going to fix as much of the new NHL as I can, in only 10 steps. The only rule I have for myself is that I have to work within the templates that Reebok made (in other words, I have to work within what already exists). Here is what I would do:

1. Edmonton and San Jose swap templates. Although it would be a bit of a downgrade for the Sharks, it has already been shown in this thread that they can look pretty good with the Florida/Edmonton template. This is a MAJOR upgrade for Edmonton. They end up looking a lot like they looked during their Stanley Cup years.

3. Minnesota uses their home template (red jersey) for both of their jerseys. Their away jersey is cream-colored, rather than white.

4. Dallas uses their logo on both jerseys. The DALLAS wordmark and front numbers are gone from the home.

5. Nashville uses the same logo on both jerseys (the one without the triangle and wordmark).

6. The t-shirt sleeves are removed from Nashville's home jerseys. They sleeves are now all blue. Since they already have the same logo on both jerseys (step 5), they now have a very nice uniform set.

8. So does Dallas.

9. Atlanta uses their home template for both home and away jerseys. As much as I dislike the one-sleeve design, I hate the discrepancy between their jerseys more. On their away jerseys, the sleeve stripe would be colored light blue. They would finally have a unique and consistent look.

10. Calgary's jerseys are swapped with ANY OTHER TEMPLATE. (I would even accept Buffalo.)

You forgot

• 11. Kings remove the 'Los Angeles'
    12. Flyers uses a similar template to the Blue Jackets and having an orange home jersey
    13. Hem stripes on the Coyotes, Kings and Tampa darks
    14. Calgary removes the flags, piping and hem stripes (they don't need hem stripes since they have different colored pants
    15. Chicago uses an old-school collar
    16. Avs adds a white and black outline to the arm/shoulder pattern and removes the piping
    17. Buffalo gets rid of the banana buffaslug
    18. Not a jersey issue but.. Capitals using red helmets at home!

there's probably more I could come up with but what the hell....

I was going to start a thread, but I figured it'd get graveyarded, so here are my predictions on short and medium term changes. (Not counting additional 3rds)

Short Term (in next 5 years):

-Vancouver. Remove wordmark.

-Islanders. Back to a more traditional look.

-Dallas. A logo at home.

-Nashville. Removal of the T-Shirt look.

Medium Term (5 to 10 years):

-Colorado. Return to old striping pattern.

-Kings. Removal of "Los Angeles" at bottom in favor of stripes.

-Oilers. Moving in the direction of tradition

-League. Move away from laces.

-Calgary. Remove the flags and dump the worst template in the league.

Things I (and many others) want to happen that will never happen:

-Modernized version of old sabres logo

-Philly return to orange as primary color

-Wild go to green home and dump the circle logo

-Flames move away from black.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

NO YUO! Edmonton can borrow the Sharks' new template. :P

Medium Term (5 to 10 years):

-Calgary. Remove the flags and dump the worst template in the league.

From what I've read, the flags are a one-year-only thing.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Alright then... I'm starting this off a little pissed off. Just a little though. Picked up my new Nucks home jersey today (RBK Edge Premier). Celebrate! Great jersey except for on thing. The shoulder patches are vinyl print stitched on. WTF I'm paying $139 + applicable taxes, far more than last year to get a jersey that is lower quality than it's predecessor? Granted this is when I thought i should pick up and Authentic but I can't bring myself the shelling out that kind of coin. Statement made, venting complete.

I have contacted my local embroidery friend to see if he can do up the shoulder patches right. I'll keep you updated.

Interesting little bit of insight on the new jerseys:

Cost price for a full authentic: 125 US

Cost price for the semi-pro or whatever they're calling it: 57.50 US

Retail (at my place of business at least):

Authentic: 225 US

Semi: 105 US

Prices at arena store:

Authentic: Don't know

Sem: 130 US

In short, if you look around you can find lower prices than the $130 for the "semi pro" style.

Observations on the differences between styles:

Authentic seems to be lighter almost, although barely. Crests are exactly the same. Shoulder patches are the same as the crest on the authentic (same construction I mean). On the cheaper versions, the shoulder logos are not as textured I would say, they appear to be one flat piece sewn on. I did think they were better than early descriptions described them as. Fight straps on authentics. Based on feel, I would say these things will tear during the course of games, especially during a fight. I didn't notice too much difference on the elbow stitching.

Feel free to ask any questions, I will try to look into it at work and answer the best I can.

I think Edmonton would look much better with Boston's template, not San Jose. The Sharks would have looked cool in Calgary's template.

Hey, this might be a good game, switching the templates until we find better fits.

gagner3.png

I had closely examined all of the photos through this entire process and was convinced I knew which jerseys I liked and which I didn't like. Until tonight that is.

I'm watching the Rangers vs Devils game on TV and the horizontal lines on the rounded hem line look absolutely terrible on both team's jerseys. Throughout this entire jersey revolution I was convinced that the teams that stuck to the traditional look of horizontal striping on the bottom of their jerseys were the smart ones. Now that I'm seeing them in action on the ice, I'm thinking I was wrong. Now I understand why so many teams dropped the horizontal stripes.

Bottom line - You can't judge a jersey by a photo. You must see it in action on the ice to truly know how it is going to look.

"This sweater, this Bluenote, it's your life. That Bluenote never hits the floor. You wear that sweater with pride." Barclay Plager

plagerbrosdancing.jpg

Okay after seeing the complete jersey grade I have come to a couple general conclusions..... 1) most of the jerseys aren't nearly as horrible as everyone on this board says, and 2) a league can do a redesign and not totally screw it up. With that being said, here are my final grades...

A+

Detroit

Boston

Montreal

Chicago

It's no real coincidence that all of these are classic jerseys. These are really the only four that did the job 100% right.

A

NY Rangers (I don't care for the inconsistent placing of the waist stripe on the home vs. road jerseys. Other than that they are perfect.

Toronto (needs waist stripe)

Los Angeles (for all the moaning and groaning about the Kings' jersey when it first came out, we all ignored the fact that they still kept the slightly more traditional look and resisted the urge of vertical striping)

Philadelphia (only thing that bumps them down is that the home jersey should be orange)

Columbus (very clean, consistent design....also the new logo is a lot better than the previous one)

Carolina (kept basically the same design)

New Jersey (clean and not cluttered)

Phoenix (see Devils)

B

San Jose (unlike most others I like the fact that they strayed from the previous shark template)

Minnesota (the only thing keeping them down is the inconsistent template for home and road. Love the red home jersey though)

Ottawa (I know I'm going to get flack for this, but I like the template. I just wish they kept the 2D logo.)

Tampa Bay (see Ottawa, liked the previous logo better, but the jerseys are fine with me)

Vancouver (the jersey is great... my main issue is that there's green on the jersey and no green in the orca. The navy should be replaced by the royal blue, and the royal blue in the logo should have been green)

Anaheim (I like the striping pattern, it fits the Ducks well)

C

Dallas (I like the "DALLAS" on the sweaters, but they needed to keep the star-shaped pattern of their previous jerseys)

Buffalo (I don't know....I guess the Slug has grown on me)

F minus times infinity

Colorado (why oh why did they have to ditch the mountain pattern?)

Atlanta (jersey templates don't match, sleeves on home don't match, and piping on the road jersey is disgusting)

Edmonton (pointless piping on the front)

Nashville (same)

Florida (same)

So basically there were a lot of okay jerseys, but some really really messed up ones as well.

espnsig.gif

NHLin0708.jpg

8. So does Dallas.

I hate the Dallas Stars design. It looks really bad!

NHLin0708.jpg

8. So does Dallas.

let's all quote giant posts with one sentence posts

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

NHLin0708.jpg

8. So does Dallas.

let's all quote giant posts with one sentence posts

I like to to quote giant posts with one sentence post too.

4kv29i.jpg

Archived