How did you choose your team?

Swiss

Well the Broncos, Avalanche, Nuggets & Rockies are all self explanitory...

Others:

Mariners: Before Colorado had a baseball team, I saw Griffey Jr. playing on TV and for some reason just liked the way he played, and ever since then the Mariners have been my favorite MLB team.

Titans: Eddie George & Steve McNair, watched them play for the Oilers and have loved the team ever since, but not nearly as much as I love my Broncos.

Pistons: When they drafted Grant Hill, I would watch them whenever I could, and with the Nuggets being a horrible team at the time, I had a team to root for. Still not ahead of the Nuggets though.

Now with the Saints & Mavericks, I can't explain it, I just caught interest in them, the Saints sometime in the late 90's and with the Mavs it was right after they changed their uniforms.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm from Cincinnati originally but have spent most of my time in Columbus so my decisions on professional sports franchises were left open because of the lack of pro teams here.

College: I love Ohio State. I grew up in the shadows of Ohio Stadium and my parents are alumni. The football team is the Columbusites' version of the Bengals or the Browns. But now that I attend Ohio University I have as much love for the Bobcats as I do the Buckeyes and since they never play I don't really have to worry about choosing. Although next season OU is playing at OSU and I think I might just have to root for the upset.

NFL: I'm a Cincinnati Bengals fan in a family of Browns and Steelers fans. I lived in Cincinnati early in my life and my father was employed by the franchise. It was a no brainer although it has never been easy.

MLB: Cincinnati Reds. I am told I watched the entire 1990 world series as a small 3 year old. I can't remember a time when I didn't love the Cincinnati Reds. They are without question my favorite team in any sport.

NHL: Columbus Blue Jackets: I went to the first 21 games, and fell in love with the team, arena, and fans.

NBA: Phoenix Suns. I've been to 3 NBA games and they were all in Phoenix. I have an aunt and uncle who live there and they have season tickets to the Suns so every time we've been to their house, they've taken us to see the Suns.

PvO6ZWJ.png

For the Wild, Swarm and Gophers, those are my hometown teams.

In the NFL, I actually started out as a Vikings fan, until around 1995 when (1) the cheap then-owners and then-coach Dennis Green started p|$$ing me off to no end, and (2) the same owners started clamoring for a new stadium. This, mind you, was shortly after the Stars left for Dallas and while the T'Wolves were threatening to move to New Orleans. I became convinced the team would be playing in LA or some other city before they won their first Super Bowl, so I decided to let go of the Queens right there and embrace the team my dad and most of my friends from college (Wisconsin-Platteville) followed, the Green Bay Packers, who weren't and aren't going anywhere.

As for the Premiership, I only started following soccer in the last couple of years. My London-born brother-in-law turned me on to English football (I can still take or leave MLS). He's not a big Gunners fan, but I adopted Arsenal because of (1) their sweet logo (natch) and (2) they were just moving into Emirates Stadium so I figured this would be a fitting time to come on board, as the team started a new chapter in its storied history.

CCSLC signature.png

Why am I a Pittsburgh fan? Simple. I was born here. I was exposed to the teams since birth.

However I put the pens above the others because Ive always liked the sport of hockey better...maybe because of all the constant coverage on TV and radio from making the playoffs all but one year until I was 8.

Pittsburgh Arsenal - Elite Football League (NFL) - est. 2006 

MLB: The Twins are the closest team to North Dakota.

NFL: The Vikings are the closest team to North Dakota.

NHL: The Wild are (or is it is?) the closest team to North Dakota.

NBA: Yeah, the Timberwolves are the closest team to North Dakota, but I also root for any team coached by Phil Jackson, who is from North Dakota.

Major college: UCLA. For the life of me, I have no idea why. Maybe it was because of John Wooden, which would be a good reason. But maybe it was because of a simpler reason like I just enjoy blue, gold and white, which were our high school's colors.

New York Yankees: Honestly, I was born into it. My great-grandfather started buying Sunday tickets for Yankees games back in 1952 (much to the chagrin of my devout Baptist great-grandmother). According to the stories I've heard, it was one of the few places, at the time, where my family wasn't referred to as "negroes" but just as regular fans at a ballgame. Ever since I was born (my first non-hospital article of clothing was a Yankees onesie), I've been brought up as a Yankee fan.

New Jersey Nets: When I was in junior high-school, I was the first person in my class to be able to dunk. So, my friends decided to nickname me Dr. J. I would never allow myself to root for the 76ers, so I decided to root for Julius Erving's other team: the New Jersey Nets.

New Jersey Devils: I don't like Rangers fans for some reason and for some reason I didn't like the Islanders, plus a lot of my cousins were living in Jerz at the time and they took me to a game. I've been a fan ever since.

New York Giants: My whole family is Giants fans. One night when I was about 4, I asked my Pops what would happen if I rooted for the Jets. He looked to me and said, "Boy, if y'all ever root for the Jets, I'ma knock you straight upstairs."

Fédération Française de Football: My mother is of Haitian descent, but because she is very opposed to her country's current government, she calls herself French.

Arsenal: Thierry Henry and William Gallas, stars for l'FFF and also players of African descent, were playing for Arsenal when I went to one of their games on a trip to England. Even though Thierry is gone, I'm still a fan.

Ohio State: My eldest brother went there for college and I, looking up to him, thought to myself, "Wow! If Malik (my brother) goes here, this school must rock!"

Holy :censored:! This could very well be my longest post.

Engine, Engine, Number Nine, on the New York transit line,

If my train goes off the track, pick it up! Pick it up! Pick it up!

Back on the scene, crispy and clean,

You can try, but then why, 'cause you can't intervene.

We be the outcast, down for the settle. Won't play the rock, won't play the pebble.

NFL - Falcons fan because they were the closest team to me when I was living in Columbus, MS. Also, my entire family (cousins included) is comprised of Cowboys fans, and me being the dark sheep, I chose another team just to be different. :P I became a die-hard during the Dirty Bird season. I was so excited because this was actually the first time in my life that the Falcons were REALLY good.

NBA - I became a Hawks fan once my ma got season tickets and dragged me to games. I've been to draft parties, meet-and-greets, and many games in the empty cavern that is a Hawks game at Philips Arena. I'm still iffy on the Hawks, because I still have love for the Hornets because I became a fan while I lived in Biloxi.

MLB - Braves fan since I came out of the womb. I can remember being 5 and watching the Braves on TBS with my Grandpops. I can't imagine rooting for any other baseball team.

NHL - Thrashers because they're the local team; But I also have a passion for the Calgary Flames, since they were my team before the Thrashers came along. I was a Flames fan because they used to be in Atlanta (go figure.).

NCAAF - Mississippi St. because it was 30 minutes away from my childhood home of Columbus. Even though I've become a Georgia fan since I've moved here, I still love Mississippi St., and if Mississippi St. and UGA played each other on Saturday, I'd be wearing the maroon and white.

International Soccer - Netherlands, honestly, because I was a kid watching the '98 World Cup and fell in love with the orange uniforms. Ever since then, I've learned to be a die-hard fan (at least when Euro or WC comes around. ^_^).

La Liga - Valencia. Just love the bats.

koizim, I like alots your post. :)

Ah, since enough people started mentioning more soccer teams here, I'm revealing more favorite soccer teams besides of Independiente.

Clubs:

- Olimpia from Paraguay: nice, odd shirt and it was my team when I lived in Paraguay.

- Internazionale Milano from Italy: was the "Swiss" team in Italy, founded by some compats.

Federations:

- Switzerland: any doubt?

- Argentina: the 1986 and 1990 World Cups.

- France: I always liked les Bleus, almost every Frenchspoken roots for France.

pennants.png

It's great to be young and a Giant! - Larry Doyle

MLB: I grew up a fan of the Yankees, mostly because Dave Winfield and I share the same first name. He was my favorite player, and the Yanks my favorite team. I remained a fan of the Yankees nearly all the way through college, up until they lost the 2001 Series against the D'backs. I was heartbroken at the time, but then incredibly annoyed that they immediately signed Jason Giambi after losing. Something about their wanton ability to spend money after they were barely beat in the Series really bugged me. I then followed the Expos (mostly because of their fun logo), but then they went under. I stopped watching baseball all together, until I went to a few M's games this season. It was fun rooting for the Mariners while they were playing well, but after they tanked the season, I've once again lost interest in baseball.

NFL: I grew up a Giants fan, but became a Bills fan when I was in college. It would have been easier to continue rooting for the Giants, but I'm proud to back my Western New York team.

NHL: Sabres, because of region.

NBA: The New York Knicks and Washington Wizards. Knicks because I'm from New York State and that's the team I grew up rooting for. The Wizards because I interned for the team in Fall of 2002 and obviously have an attachment to the organization.

NCAA: Syracuse Orange first, Big East second, and because I'm currently in grad school here, University of Washington. I lived in Louisville, KY for a couple of years and keep on eye on their progress as well.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Baseball: Grew up loving the local team and though I've had a lot of other teams I liked, never was I NOT a Padres fan first.

Football: Loved the Buccaneers uniforms cause they were different and they were losers. Somehow that appealed to me.

Hockey: Wife was a Flames fan so I latched on. Still don't know enough about the teams and players and league as I want to but I love watching games.

Soccer: Was looking at EPL teams to get into. On one site I noticed Norwich City had a team. My family history goes through there and my family name originates from that area so that's who I chose and stuck with. Now they're in my heart. I also like Reading because the wife follows them. In the US, I love the Galaxy because they're the most local team at the MLS level. Once/If San Diego gets a team, then THEY will become my new favorites...MAYBE.

-Daniel
Check Out My Podcast! Latest Episode 273: The Color Blinky
Latest Photo Upload: January 7, 2012

Indians: No reason really, I just do.

Devils: Hometown team.

Browns: No reason, I just do.

Nets: Hometown team.

Arsenal: Thierry Henry, 'nuff said.

Buffalo Bisons: I don't really follow minor league baseball too much, but I do like the Bisons because they are the Indians AAA team.

College Hoops: I'm really a fan of the game, can't really say I have a favorite team, but I guess I would say Seton Hall because they are from New Jersey. Personally, I like college b-ball more than college football, and college hockey aint popular around here, which leads into my next couple of statements, so...

College Hockey: I usually just watch the Frozen Four. College hockey isn't too popular around here.

College Football: Don't have a favorite team, I'm just a casual fan, watching a few games here or there.

Mines mostly location too, altho being born in Virginia and growing up in Maryland doesnt lend itself to being a hockey fan but thats my passion.

NHL - Capitals, thats kind of the odd one becuz here youre not bred to be a hockey fan. I was bored one day and flipping through the channels. I caught a Caps game on HTS and was immediately intrigued. that game was Peter Bondras 5 goal game, I was hooked.

NFL - Redskins, Redskins are life. grew up a Redskins fan, havent been pissed off bad enough to quit yet.

MLB - Nationals. this grew out of my hatred of Peter Angelos and his futile attempts to keep this market to himself. I grew up an Orioles fan watching the likes of Cal Ripken, Mike Mussina, BJ Surhoff, Rafael Palmeiro & Brady Anderson (unfortunately), but when the Nats came along and Angelos tried his damnest to keep the Nats out, i grew into a Nats fan out of spite. not to mention my loyalties are to DC and not to Baltimore.

NCAA Basketball - Maryland Terps, Gary Williams is Marylands basketball God.

NCAA Hockey - I lived in Colorado for a few years and grew into being a Denver Pioneers fan, 2 straight National Championships can do that.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

Forced by both parents into the Jets and Mets...this kid never even had a fighting chance.

Rangers: growing up, the Devils were on sportschannel, which by me was a premium channel, so I only got the Rangers...as did all of my friends (who for the mostpart are also Yankee/Giant fans...)

Nets: Didn't get into basketball really until the time I was in middle school, and by then we got the Nets, and being from Jersey, there it be.

Penn State: Currently a senior here....that's obvious enough...

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

NFL- Bears, I've always lived in the suburbs and my parents are from Chicago, so I'm a Bears fan.

NBA- Bulls, same as Bears it's because of area.

MLB- Cubs, my dad is from the north side, by mom grew up on the south side. Although I used to like both, the Cubs just a little more I've faded the Sox out as I got older and am all Cubs now.

NHL- Blackhawks, same as the rest but this is the only sport where I like another team too. I used to watch the Mighty Ducks movies when I was younger, I'd even dress up in hockey equipment sometimes, so I like the (Mighty) Ducks too.

College- It's Illinois for everything, because that's where my dad went. In a couple years I'll have a new favorite team or become a bigger Illini fan. I also like Indiana, but that's just for football for the next three years because my cousin is on the team right now.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

MLB- White Sox. I didn't choose the Sox. They were embedded in my DNA.

NHL- Blackhawks. And, hey, I have hope again!

NBA- I'm a casual fan at best, but it'd have to be the Bulls. I follow the Jazz, too, mainly to keep up on Deron Williams and Dee Brown. Speaking of...

College- Illinois. The alma mater.

And here's where things get dicey. The Bears would seem the logical fit, but my family is far from logical. My grandpa was an old Chicago Cardinals fan. As such, he hated the Bears. When the Cardinals moved, they were dead to him, but he couldn't bring himself to root for the Bears. So, he chose the Bears' natural enemy. Two generations laters, I'm a Packers fan.

AFL - St Kilda - because my old man grew up near Moorabbin and it's like passed on in the family. Thats like most supporters over here, they'll go for a team because their dad did.

NRL, Domestic Cricket, A-League, AIHL - Storm, Bushrangers, Victory, Ice - local team.

NBL - South Dragons - I was a South East Melbourne Magic fan and couldn't stand supporting the Melbourne Tigers.

International Sport - Australia (any sport).

EPL - Manchester United/Derby County - the best and worst (have a soft spot for Derby).... United wear St Kilda colours

NBA - Sonics - when I was 5, my cousin gave me his Sonics singlet.

NFL - Seahawks and Saints - no idea why

MLB - Diamondbacks - cos Eric bought me a Diamondbacks cap!

NHL - For some reason don't care

twitter.com/thebrainofMatt

Isles - everyone in my house generally follows the islanders so it came natural.

Cowboys - i've always had a fixation on Texas and the Cowboys. SO they were always a secondary team i followed when i wasn't follow Tuna coached teams around.

Brewers - 3 words. Ball. In. Glove. The logo is the sole reason i was a fan. didn't care for them when they had the crossed bat set, but when they went to the current set i liked it and fell in love with it. I probably couldn't name a brewer player from the last 15 years, its the weird obsession over the logo which has me following them.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

Living just outside of Cleveland, Ohio... the answer is obvious. I grew up rooting for the Indians, Browns, Cavaliers and whichever Minor League hckey team they have... Currently LE Monsters. I like Ohio State because my dad always did. I also pull for the MAC (Mainly Ohio teams) schools in other College sports because they were usually underdogs.

Oddball teams: Seattle Seahawks. When I was little, I just though they had the coolest helmets. Follwed them since. I was they guy with the Seahawks shirt or hat that people looked at funny. This was in the 80s and 90s. Now, since they went to the Super Bowl... I've finally lost interest becasue I don't want to look like a bandwagon guy.

Dallas Mavericks: My dad worked with a guy who knew Brad Davis (in the 80s). We watched him play the Cavaliers. So I followed them since, but have lost interest.

Hershey Bears: Back in 1988 or so I had a friend who played Indoor Soccer for the Hershey Impact. While visiting him and watching his games, we would also go to Hershey Bears game the next day. Followed them ever since.

Archived