The OFFICIAL Weekly NFL Uniform Notes, Rants & Raves Thread

tBBP

NYJets65.gif

If I were a Jets fan, there is no way I would ever purchase a Titans jersey. The New York Titans were abominable. You don't see the Packers selling late '50s jerseys, do you?

I wouldn't buy that either, since the throwbacks are basically a lighter shade of green with the "NY JETS" patch removed. Buying that would basically mean buying a plainer version of the current Jets jersey for more money.

Same with the Cowboys jerseys. Their white jersey from then is basically the same as it was now, save for the number font change. We must remember, most of the casual fans who spend money like that aren't going spend their money quicker on this throwback than they would with the doublestar throwbacks. Same with the Titans/Jets. If it makes them more money, then they'll find a way to do it.

And we'll probably never see those Raiders throwbacks because it would basically be the same to Al Davis, the poor, colorblind soul.

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I for one am getting sick of the Broncos in their all-blue unitards every time they have a home game at night. They only wore those stupid things twice between 2002 and 2005...now they have been inflicted on us SEVEN times in the last two seasons. :blink:

How ever will you survive?

As a Donks fan, I was hoping for the orange alts, but I have a feeling we'll never see those again as long as Shanahan is in charge. We lost both games in those, and he's superstitious. But it has become a standard set for home night games now - and I imagine it will be for the foreseeable future. They're certainly not terrible, but it'd be nice if we got a dose of orange every so often to offset the all-blues.

Agreed, I would like to see the Orange alts for at least 1 home game.

lynch112804.jpg

I don't know. I never smoked AstroTurf. ~Tug McGraw, when asked if he preferred grass or artificial turf.

I for one am getting sick of the Broncos in their all-blue unitards every time they have a home game at night. They only wore those stupid things twice between 2002 and 2005...now they have been inflicted on us SEVEN times in the last two seasons. :blink:

As a Donks fan, I was hoping for the orange alts, but I have a feeling we'll never see those again as long as Shanahan is in charge. We lost both games in those, and he's superstitious. But it has become a standard set for home night games now - and I imagine it will be for the foreseeable future. They're certainly not terrible, but it'd be nice if we got a dose of orange every so often to offset the all-blues.

lynch112804.jpg

I must be part of the minority...but I still think they should have made the orange jerseys their primaries. Two reasons:

#1. They look far superior to the Navy IMO.

and #2. They wouldn't need to have two different pairs of white pants. I've always found it strange that they did that.

lynch112804.jpg

I must be part of the minority...but I still think they should have made the orange jerseys their primaries. Two reasons:

and #2. They wouldn't need to have two different pairs of white pants. I've always found it strange that they did that.

The Broncos ARE orange and their uni should reflect that. Barrel man, the Orange Crush, snow at Mile High, it all screams ORANGE. A damn travesty that they wear those boring navy duds.

lynch112804.jpg

The Broncos ARE orange and their uni should reflect that. Barrel man, the Orange Crush, snow at Mile High, it all screams ORANGE. A damn travesty that they wear those boring navy duds.

You're preaching to the choir, brother.

I'd also love to see them have a navy set of pants for road games. All-white is just too plain.

lynch112804.jpg

I'd also love to see them have a navy set of pants for road games. All-white is just too plain.

You know, I've always wondered why the Broncos haven't worn navy pants. Of course they'd probably have to go out and make new pants since they are the most worried about coordinating stripes in the NFL, but I bet it would look nice. I too also miss the orange unis. I agree, when I think of Broncos, I think of Elway in orange.

lynch112804.jpg

You know, I've always wondered why the Broncos haven't worn navy pants. Of course they'd probably have to go out and make new pants since they are the most worried about coordinating stripes in the NFL, but I bet it would look nice. I too also miss the orange unis. I agree, when I think of Broncos, I think of Elway in orange.

BINGO! Pretty ridiculous to have 4 sets of pants IMO....so I'm kind of glad they don't go that route.

I think they should just throw away the navy pants altogether. The monochrome looks horrendous, and since we've already determined that they are pretty useless on away jerseys, its pretty obvious that they don't need them.

lynch112804.jpg

I'd like to see the Broncos add orange pants to the current uni. This would be a problem though: if the orange pants had a blue stripe on them, they would look fine with the white jerseys, but not the blue ones. They would have to wear plain orange pants with the blue jersey, or it would look FUBAR.

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

This is what I don't understand about throwbacks (other than the illogic of trying to tie yesterday's uniform designs with today's uniform styles, i.e. no sleeves to speak of):

DallasC60.gif

The Cowboys' "throwback" harkens to the first days of the franchise, where they veered between bad and wretched. Not until they added silver/silver-blue to their unis did they start winning more games than they lost.

NYTitans60.gif

The Jets' Titans throwback harkens to the first days of the franchise, when they were horrid. Not until they changed their name, adopted the green colors and, by the way, signed some Alabama QB named Namath did they start winning more than they lost.

The point: Besides being ugly, these uniforms are symbols of bad football. You don't see the Broncos adopting their old yellow and brown look for throwbacks, do you? So why do the Cowboys and Jets (and Steelers and others) want to remind fans of their bad old days?

Are you honestly asking this? As if it matters how they played in those uniforms?

Well here's your answer. Money. Money. Money.

Merchandise revenue.

That and it was the first seasons for them, so they're paying respect, terrible team or not.

Yeah, well, I bet we never see these in the Coliseum:

Oakland60.gif

I really want them to wear this, and I'm not even kidding. It was awesome using them in NFL 2K5.

bSLCtu2.png

billscowboys.png

something i kinda noticed and i'm not sure if its the lighting or what but the bills helmets seem a bit cream colored. unless its always been this way and i just now noticed it.

It is the lighting - the Bills throwbacks are just plain white shells. These days a lot of the teams with white helmets have "dazzle" finishes so they appear a more brilliant white under the lights - like the Chargers new helmets, for example. Now when you see a plain white helmet it appears less "white" compared to the "dazzle" finish.

Not normal white but some god-like white you've never seen before?

Umm - no. What I mean is the helmet manufacturers have several different "white" colors ranging from plain white plastic to "Extra Bright Metallic White" (Schutt's name, not mine). Schutt has a color called "New York White" which is what the Jets use and may be what Buffalo is using for their throwbacks. This is supposed to be like the plain white plastic used in the 1970s-early 1980s. While not a true cream color, it would appear to be a bit "off-white" when seen next to either "Extra Bright Metallic White" or "Pearl White" (again Schutt's name, which is what I was calling "dazzle" white above). It also would be a little less white than the current plain white plastic (and Schutt's plain white may have always been a bit "whiter" than Riddell's plain white plastic).

Actually, I was just seeing if anyone picked up on the obscure reference to this:

I noticed that Cincinnati done broke out the Pumpkins look today versus the Titans. An interesting matchup of colors...predominant orange versus predominant insert-whatever-shade-you-wanna-call-it blue. From a color standpoint, it may be one of the better-looking matchups going on in the NFL today.

Also, as was already mentioned in another thread, the Browns are in their "throwbacks" today. And, in other news, the Saints are back in their black pantyhose--er, pants--today.

Also...the Jaguars rediscovered their teal roots today versus the Bills. IMO, that Jag home look might be one of the most underrated looks leaguewide.

That's all for now...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Also...the Jaguars rediscovered their teal roots today versus the Bills. IMO, that Jag home look might be one of the most underrated looks leaguewide.

100% completely agree with you on this. Though I think it looks MILES better with white pants than when they do it with the black pants.

Compare:

FP3588~Jacksonville-Jaguars-Fred-Taylor-Posters.jpgp1_taylor.jpg

No competition as far as I'm concerned.

Also... man do I miss this look:

347840.jpg

366678430_f28e9d99de_o.jpg

100% completely agree with you on this. Though I think it looks MILES better with white pants than when they do it with the black pants.

Compare:

FP3588~Jacksonville-Jaguars-Fred-Taylor-Posters.jpgp1_taylor.jpg

No competition as far as I'm concerned.

Also... man do I miss this look:

8062402.jpg

366678430_f28e9d99de_o.jpg

The Vikings have apparently ditched their purple pants, which is a shame because it's a good look for them IMO.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I noticed that Cincinnati done broke out the Pumpkins look today versus the Titans. An interesting matchup of colors...predominant orange versus predominant insert-whatever-shade-you-wanna-call-it blue. From a color standpoint, it may be one of the better-looking matchups going on in the NFL today.

Any game involving any Bengals uniform cannot be considered a "better looking matchup." Those things are simply awful in any combination.

Also, as was already mentioned in another thread, the Browns are in their "throwbacks" today.

And they looked great.

BB52Big.jpg

Gold pants again today.

And the Rams are doing fairly well.

Gold pants again today.

And, another loss.

I just love the whole "pants = luck" stuff that some people have. Switch the combos around and have some fun with it. These teams have the combos. Use them.

BTW, the Dolphins have worn white pants for 10 games this year. They are 0-10 in them.

I don't get on this site as often as I once did, so I may have missed a thread on this. But I know it's been talked about a lot in the last few years. Still, I have never seen an OFFICIAL (i.e., from the teams themselves) explanation for these two decisions:

When Seattle and Buffalo introduced their new uniform sets, each showed non-monochrome looks. The Bills and Hawks both had white jerseys with blue pants, and blue shirts and white pants. These sets looked fairly good. Chris' main site still shows these combos as the main ones, with monochromes officially shown as alternates. But we NEVER see the original sets anymore. Did either team ever give out an explanation for the changes -- both of which are virtually universally loathed?

Do we have any pictures of the Patriots 2007 AFC East Divison Champions hats? I want to preview theirs before I can get a Steelers one.

You might want to check the standings before heading out to the store... the Browns don't seem quite ready to concede the division title, esp. with the Steelers yet to play the Patriots.

nav-logo.png

I don't get on this site as often as I once did, so I may have missed a thread on this. But I know it's been talked about a lot in the last few years. Still, I have never seen an OFFICIAL (i.e., from the teams themselves) explanation for these two decisions:

When Seattle and Buffalo introduced their new uniform sets, each showed non-monochrome looks. The Bills and Hawks both had white jerseys with blue pants, and blue shirts and white pants. These sets looked fairly good. Chris' main site still shows these combos as the main ones, with monochromes officially shown as alternates. But we NEVER see the original sets anymore. Did either team ever give out an explanation for the changes -- both of which are virtually universally loathed?

Good luck on getting an official explanation...but from what most have heard and have been told, the decision to go mono-dark was players' preference, for both teams. Sooner or later, that bug caught flight leaguewide, which is how now we have looks like the Arizona Bloodclots, Gang Green (for REAL) up in New York/Jersey-A, and, if memory serves me correctly, even midnight-green-from-head-to-toe Philly Eagles (I wanna say they pulled that stunt against the 49ers during a prime-time game a couple years back, maybe '04--but I do remember shaking my head in disgust at that look, though).

If the Vikes ever gut up the courage to trot out onto the field looking like a pack of grapes, Paul Lukas and the rest of the PAP Coalition (People Against Purple) might just vomit their insides out. (I actually wouldn't mind seeing that, just to see how it'd look.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived