The OFFICIAL Weekly NFL Uniform Notes, Rants & Raves Thread

tBBP

Gold pants again today.

And the Rams are doing fairly well.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Niners are wearing the throwbacks again. I dont know if it was planned, or a Nolan tribute, but they look great.

That's about the only thing that looks good about them.... :P

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

It may be a little too early for this but do we have any word on the Thanksigiving throwbacks:

Green Bay at Detroit

NY Jets at Dallas

Indy at Atlanta

i've said once but i'll say it again. there will be no throwbacks on thanksgiving. Dallas will wear their throwback-alternate but thats it. and thats really not even a throwback as their original was a lighter shade of blue. so to answer the question again, throwback thanksgiving is over its has been and will continue to be.

DallasC60_tn.gif

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I've noticed this before but not with any other team til' last night that some of the Patriots (Tom Brady) wears red facemask clips against the side of the helmet and clear one's that hold to the forehead. Teddy Bruschi, had all clear one's but he also wears a different style of helmet than Brady, and IMO it look's much better the way Bruschi, has his helmet. I think that the Patriots, facemask is already too ''out there'' with the bright red but I also noticed that some of the Bills, players last night had the same style going with the clips. I looks weird to have it that way I guess it's because I'm a perfectionist but too me clear clips allow you to see the facemask somewhat so there wouldn't be a need to have color matched clips in their place. Just my rant for this thread but I don't know if anyone else feels the same!

I've noticed this before but not with any other team til' last night that some of the Patriots (Tom Brady) wears red facemask clips against the side of the helmet and clear one's that hold to the forehead. Teddy Bruschi, had all clear one's but he also wears a different style of helmet than Brady, and IMO it look's much better the way Bruschi, has his helmet. I think that the Patriots, facemask is already too ''out there'' with the bright red but I also noticed that some of the Bills, players last night had the same style going with the clips. I looks weird to have it that way I guess it's because I'm a perfectionist but too me clear clips allow you to see the facemask somewhat so there wouldn't be a need to have color matched clips in their place. Just my rant for this thread but I don't know if anyone else feels the same!

I think those red clips Brady wears (and a lot of players wear them) are "shock blockers" - they are designed to have a bit more "give" than the standard clear side clips to distribute the force of a hit to the facemask better and not transmit as much of the force to the head/neck. I don't know why they were never made in clear; only colors.

Bruschi wears a Revolution helmet which has its own style of side facemask mounting; the Riddell attachment assembly on the Revolutions acts in a similar manner to disperse force but only come in clear plastic.

It may be a little too early for this but do we have any word on the Thanksigiving throwbacks:

Green Bay at Detroit

NY Jets at Dallas

Indy at Atlanta

My guesses for the uniform combo's.....

Green Bay- white jersey's, yellow pants, green socks

Detroit- black jersey's, silver pants, black socks

Jets- white jersey's, green pants, green striped socks

Cowboys- navy retro (kinda) jersey, white pants, blue stripes socks

Colts- white jersey's, white pants, blue socks

Falcons- red jersey's, black pants, black socks

This is what I don't understand about throwbacks (other than the illogic of trying to tie yesterday's uniform designs with today's uniform styles, i.e. no sleeves to speak of):

DallasC60.gif

The Cowboys' "throwback" harkens to the first days of the franchise, where they veered between bad and wretched. Not until they added silver/silver-blue to their unis did they start winning more games than they lost.

NYTitans60.gif

The Jets' Titans throwback harkens to the first days of the franchise, when they were horrid. Not until they changed their name, adopted the green colors and, by the way, signed some Alabama QB named Namath did they start winning more than they lost.

The point: Besides being ugly, these uniforms are symbols of bad football. You don't see the Broncos adopting their old yellow and brown look for throwbacks, do you? So why do the Cowboys and Jets (and Steelers and others) want to remind fans of their bad old days?

Packers-2.png

billscowboys.png

something i kinda noticed and i'm not sure if its the lighting or what but the bills helmets seem a bit cream colored. unless its always been this way and i just now noticed it.

It is the lighting - the Bills throwbacks are just plain white shells. These days a lot of the teams with white helmets have "dazzle" finishes so they appear a more brilliant white under the lights - like the Chargers new helmets, for example. Now when you see a plain white helmet it appears less "white" compared to the "dazzle" finish.

Not normal white but some god-like white you've never seen before?

This is what I don't understand about throwbacks (other than the illogic of trying to tie yesterday's uniform designs with today's uniform styles, i.e. no sleeves to speak of):

DallasC60.gif

The Cowboys' "throwback" harkens to the first days of the franchise, where they veered between bad and wretched. Not until they added silver/silver-blue to their unis did they start winning more games than they lost.

NYTitans60.gif

The Jets' Titans throwback harkens to the first days of the franchise, when they were horrid. Not until they changed their name, adopted the green colors and, by the way, signed some Alabama QB named Namath did they start winning more than they lost.

The point: Besides being ugly, these uniforms are symbols of bad football. You don't see the Broncos adopting their old yellow and brown look for throwbacks, do you? So why do the Cowboys and Jets (and Steelers and others) want to remind fans of their bad old days?

Are you honestly asking this? As if it matters how they played in those uniforms?

Well here's your answer. Money. Money. Money.

Merchandise revenue.

DallasC60.gif

NYTitans60.gif

Are you honestly asking this? As if it matters how they played in those uniforms?

Merchandise revenue.

That and it was the first seasons for them, so they're paying respect, terrible team or not.

bSLCtu2.png

billscowboys.png

something i kinda noticed and i'm not sure if its the lighting or what but the bills helmets seem a bit cream colored. unless its always been this way and i just now noticed it.

It is the lighting - the Bills throwbacks are just plain white shells. These days a lot of the teams with white helmets have "dazzle" finishes so they appear a more brilliant white under the lights - like the Chargers new helmets, for example. Now when you see a plain white helmet it appears less "white" compared to the "dazzle" finish.

Not normal white but some god-like white you've never seen before?

Umm - no. What I mean is the helmet manufacturers have several different "white" colors ranging from plain white plastic to "Extra Bright Metallic White" (Schutt's name, not mine). Schutt has a color called "New York White" which is what the Jets use and may be what Buffalo is using for their throwbacks. This is supposed to be like the plain white plastic used in the 1970s-early 1980s. While not a true cream color, it would appear to be a bit "off-white" when seen next to either "Extra Bright Metallic White" or "Pearl White" (again Schutt's name, which is what I was calling "dazzle" white above). It also would be a little less white than the current plain white plastic (and Schutt's plain white may have always been a bit "whiter" than Riddell's plain white plastic).

Merchandise revenue.

That and it was the first seasons for them, so they're paying respect, terrible team or not.

Of course. But if the Cowboys wanted to make money on throwbacks, all they need to do is go back to these (note different number font and lighter blue):

Dallas66.gif

Ditto with the Jets (lighter green):

NYJets65.gif

If I were a Jets fan, there is no way I would ever purchase a Titans jersey. The New York Titans were abominable. You don't see the Packers selling late '50s jerseys, do you?

Packers-2.png

DallasC60.gif

NYTitans60.gif

Merchandise revenue.

Yeah, well, I bet we never see these in the Coliseum:

Oakland60.gif

Packers-2.png

I for one am getting sick of the Broncos in their all-blue unitards every time they have a home game at night. They only wore those stupid things twice between 2002 and 2005...now they have been inflicted on us SEVEN times in the last two seasons. :blink:

How ever will you survive?

As a Donks fan, I was hoping for the orange alts, but I have a feeling we'll never see those again as long as Shanahan is in charge. We lost both games in those, and he's superstitious. But it has become a standard set for home night games now - and I imagine it will be for the foreseeable future. They're certainly not terrible, but it'd be nice if we got a dose of orange every so often to offset the all-blues.

Archived