NBA All-Star Arizona 2009

Shroinke

It was mentioned on Outside the Lines today that Phoenix has been selected to hose the 2009 NBA All-Star Game.

As you know, the last time they hosted, this was the logo:

NBA-AS_4755.gif

A little '90s, yeah, but a decent enough logo given the team's purple and orange color scheme.

But my question is will they break out anything like these beauties again? :P

g_richmond_g.jpg

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any idea of why they are hosting the event again? I'm just asking, because its not like they have a new arena or anything. You would think that the league would want to showcase a new arena or finally take the All-Star game globally like they've been hinting at for a while.

Any idea of why they are hosting the event again? I'm just asking, because its not like they have a new arena or anything. You would think that the league would want to showcase a new arena or finally take the All-Star game globally like they've been hinting at for a while.

Based on the poor reputation the All-Star Game has with Civic Leaders nowadays, I wonder how many cities actually bid for the game. That may play a role in why its in Phoenix.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

WTF!! They should have it in Chicago!! They haven't had the all-star game there since Jordan and Wilkins had their slam-dunk contest!

It's about time to show off the United Center; it's been open for 13 years without any All-Star games.

WTF!! They should have it in Chicago!! They haven't had the all-star game there since Jordan and Wilkins had their slam-dunk contest!

It's about time to show off the United Center; it's been open for 13 years without any All-Star games.

Is that true? :blink:

There's a PERFECT example of a major market that needs to host an All-Star game ahead of Phoenix. What the hell is the NBA doing? Talk about a league in turmoil.....crooked referees....bad faux leather ball.....no All-Star games in Chicago. Whats next? An All-Star game in Vegas?

.....Oh wait a minute

If I was on the committee, I would have been lobbied for Chicago to get the All Star game. That will make it 6 years in a row the Western Conference has play host to the Alls Star Game. Atlanta in 2003 was the last host in the East. Toronto or Chicago better get it in 2010

The last time Chicago hosted was right before the United Center opened, so that explains why it didnt go right back when the new place opened. I agree its probobly due there, but maybe the Bulls just dont want it and the Suns really do. Coleangelo has alot of pull, much more than whoever owns the Bulls has.

Perhaps Mayor Daley has politely asked the Bulls ownership not to lobby to host the game...because of the "problems" it would cause. :blink:

EDIT: Thought of another possibility...maybe they want to wait a couple of years before hosting it, because it could then be used as a small-scale dress rehearsal for a certain large scale sporting event.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Sixers (and Flyers) chairman Ed Snider said that the NBA ASG will never again be in Philadelphia as long as he's involved with the team, due to all of the hastles that they had to go through when it was here a few years ago. Basically, he didn't like the way that the NBA pretty much comes in and takes over control of everything, and he was upset that he couldn't distribute very many tickets to his own season ticket holders. He said that there was too much BS to put up with to ever put in another bid to host the game.

Maybe other owners feel the same way.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I remember reading an article a while back specifically about why the Pacers never bid on the all-star game. The article mentioned the amount of extra work the franchise takes on in order to host the event for basically no financial gain. I believe the team has to use its staff to organize/promote the events, plus the NBA would come in and take all the luxury boxes and seating away from the home team's sponsors and fans. I think there is some financial consideration given to the host, but nothing significant.

The article (which I can't find right now) basically made it seem like it was tons of work to throw on your normal staff for no real gain. Maybe the other leagues (specifically MLB) has a league owned group that coordinates their events.

The reason the article was written was to explain why Indianapolis never has bid for the game since the Fieldhouse was opened in 1999. If I recall correctly, Indy also doesn't have enough strip clubs to fulfill Pacman Jones' "makin' it rain" needs.

Also according to the SI article, Toronto, New York, Oakland and Milwaukee wore the other contenders for this years game.

The reason the article was written was to explain why Indianapolis never has bid for the game since the Fieldhouse was opened in 1999. If I recall correctly, Indy also doesn't have enough strip clubs to fulfill Pacman Jones' "makin' it rain" needs.
:D
Also according to the SI article, Toronto, New York, Oakland and Milwaukee wore the other contenders for this years game.
That's crazy! 'Cause I remember back when the Bucks were in the Eastern Conference Finals, Stern was interviewed at the BC during a game. He basicly said that Milwaukee would NEVER host an ASG unless they got a new arena.

Kyle

packchampionslfroh.png

:D
That's crazy! 'Cause I remember back when the Bucks were in the Eastern Conference Finals, Stern was interviewed at the BC during a game. He basicly said that Milwaukee would NEVER host an ASG unless they got a new arena.

Kyle

And you'll notice Milwaukee's bid wasn't rewarded. Can't blame them for trying, though.

Today, we are all otaku.

Would putting it in OKC, make it look as if Stern/NBA was endorsing the Sonics move? I do agree that rotating it through non-NBA cities would be a great way to bring the game (not to mention all the big names, not just a lame pre-season game) to some new markets. Other suggestions... San Diego, Cincinnati, Kansas City, Pittsburgh, Nashville, St. Louis...

Would putting it in OKC, make it look as if Stern/NBA was endorsing the Sonics move? I do agree that rotating it through non-NBA cities would be a great way to bring the game (not to mention all the big names, not just a lame pre-season game) to some new markets. Other suggestions... San Diego, Cincinnati, Kansas City, Pittsburgh, Nashville, St. Louis...

I'd love it in Cincinnati, but no one would come to Cincinnati because our town sucks.

Also, those jerseys in '95 are awesome.

Archived