Fresh out the box

Joe

It would be hard for any original team identity to be anything other than a step up here. So far, all I really see is a cap, though it's probably safe to make assumptions about the jersey script. It's at least an interesting color scheme. And although the cap logo is not the direction I would have gone, it's at least fair-to-average by MiLB standards. The cap logo is a little more complicated than I would prefer, but its simplicity of lines and forms and compact shape prevents it from being too busy.

The team is going for a 1950s retro sci-fi vibe here, and on those terms it's hard to call the team logo and the cap anything other than a success. The likely uniform script is promising, too.

20082614447.png

This is absolutely stupid.

Great Falls has SUCH a strong relationship with the Lewis and Clark Expidition. It was at Great Falls where the Corps of Discovery spent a lot of time portaging the falls. Why doesn't Great Falls carry a Lewis and Clark-oriented name and logo instead of a stupid UFO thing?

Given the city's geography and history, I think I would have gone with the frontier exploration theme over the chosen one (I think an obvious reference to the famous Voyager spacecraft). Nice rendering, though. You can always count on Dan for that much.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I for one like the hat logo. I looked around the site and can't seem to find any script logos, so I'll have to wait for my judgement on that.

EDIT: Nevermind, my computers just slow. I think that the script is achieving what it's going for, as t's mixing MiLB style into that 1950's UFO feeling.

nhlvquebec2mw0.pngnhlpittsburghmo1.pngmlsnewenglandei8.pngnflbaltimoreff1.pngncaaohiostatepx4.png

Interesting Baseball fact: In 1960: Baltimore, Milwaukee, Cincinnati, and Pittsburgh had 2 AAA affiliates, while Los Angeles had 3 teams...and the New York Yankees had the Kansas City Athletics.

Interesting Hockey fact: In 1974, the Buffalo Sabres draft Taro Tsujimoto of the Toyko Katanas with th 183 pick in the draft. It was later revealed that Taro didn't exist, but Taro is still listed as an offical draftee of the Buffalo Sabres in their Media Guide.

The story of the evolution of the logo is interesting (pdf file on the website). It's neat how the UFO sightings inspired the logo.

Heres the primary logo:

GreatFallsVoygers_2008.gif

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Why doesn't Great Falls carry a Lewis and Clark-oriented name and logo instead of a stupid UFO thing?

While a Lewis and Clark-themed name would certainly work for a Great Falls-based team, it's not as though the UFO theme is without strong local ties... particularly to baseball. As pointed out on the Voyagers' web-site, Nick Mariana was General Manager of the Pioneer League's Great Falls Selectrics when he spotted and filmed the UFOs that inspired this new identity.

While a Lewis and Clark-themed name would certainly work for a Great Falls-based team

Doesn't their CBA Basketball team have the Explorer logo - a lewis & clark looking pioneer for their logo??

I can't post the logo right now - I will later.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

While a Lewis and Clark-themed name would certainly work for a Great Falls-based team

Doesn't their CBA Basketball team have the Explorer logo - a lewis & clark looking pioneer for their logo??

I can't post the logo right now - I will later.

And thus why this is a nice departure. While "Voyagers" continues Great Falls' explorer/pioneer/cowboy theme, Dan did a very nice job removing it from the absolutely droll, boring and pigeon-holed branding of only Wild West themes.

While I do not know who had the final say as to the design's direction, this is an exceptional logo package from a great designer. All of the pieces fit together perfectly (I'm talking to you, Quad Cities)...the secondary logos (martian in ship) look great and the color pallette is unique.

IMHO, this is a solid A, teetering on A+.

Cards.png

My gut reaction was that it was a well done logo that wasn't that inspiring. (have you ever noticed that even the "bad" logos by good designers are still in a league of their own?)

But the more I look at it, the more I like it. I think a big part of the initial reaction was how it was used on the website. The gray with a green background does nothing good for this logo. But on white, it looks much better.

The V logo is pretty sharp and for some reason, i really dig the UFO logo.

Archived