Do you find this offensive?

footballfiji

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Might as well reply to this first

And that my friend is 90% of your problem. Right about when you think you have just one more thought to add is exactly the time when you should just shut the :censored: up before you say something off the charts stupid yet again. You get "jumped all over" all the time because you say some of the most profoundly idiotic things I have ever read on this board, and believe me that's saying something. You look for trouble at every turn and when you can't find it you create it. The fact that you are surprised by some of the reactions you have gotten makes you all the more ridiculous. Like a piece of fine art, you sir, are priceless.
I shoulda just stopped there, or only read the last 4 words, lol.

Anyway, I would understand this if you said why what I said is profoundly idiotic. Obviously when we are talking about the Pats people are gonna disagree and think I'm an idiot even though what I'm saying isn't stupid(just biased :P), but the other things especially, how are they so stupid? I'm not looking for/creating trouble anywhere, nor was I here. I was going to reply anyway, and I don't get why it's so stupid. I guess you may think a whole line of basically the same response is more interesting than that AND a related anecdote, but I don't feel that way at all and I don't think many people do. Yes I am surprised I get some of those reactions because obviously with the Patriots I expect them for the most part from people who aren't Pat fans, but that's a given with any sports team/bias debate. But why would something like that be regarded as stupid and idiotic(plus it's only you and somewhat DG who feel that way about whatever I say)? I don't know.

The problem is that you have no self-control. You respond to EVERY single post that concerns you or something you like. Eventually, you'll learn to let things go and not feel the need to go off the deep end every time you're even moderately slighted.

Obvoiusly I don't reply to every single post, but I see your point. contrary to popular belief, I don't take much of it personally unless it's directly at me and completely serious. I try not to go off the deep end in anger, and I think you'll see that, but it can piss me off sometimes. I'm never going to reply to every single thing, or else I'd be here until your Seahawks win a Super Bowl(Oooh...). But yeah, I probably won't reply to as much later on down the road.

Although, I hope that day takes a while, because the train-wreck nature of your posting here can be pretty entertaining. Especially when infrared shames you.

Wait, so you actually do value me?

:'-)

Or am I getting ahead of myself?

Either way, all this free entertainment is gonna have to start costing ya. B)

GBM, quit while you're ahead. For your own good. Please.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

Yessuh, right away suh.

Just some advice. Think 30 seconds before posting. That may prevent many problems for you.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

And as far as his name... if only Harry Caray was still alive...watching him butcher that name would be comedic gold.

I'm sure Santo won't get it right. "Mark Delarosa has been struggling this past week at the plate."

"Ron, it's just DeRosa."

"And Delarosa ends the inning grounding out to short."

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Yessuh, right away suh.

A word to the wise: only ass holes laugh at Jim Crow humor. But you're not wise.

And yes, infrared, I do so enjoy watching you give gingerbreadman the business. No joke -- total sincerity. He needs to be taken to the woodshed very frequently, and you do a nice job of doing it.

How come all of our jerkbag posters invariably come from the greater Boston area?

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Is there a stink being raised about this, or what's the deal?

Yeah, the article is here: http://www.on205th.com/2008/01/chicago-cub...-offending.html

I realized that I already posted here, but I thought what I was supposed to be offended by the translator bit, not the flag bit. I didn't realize the player was Japanese. In that case, it's in pretty poor taste.

Why?

If you read the article, towards the end it mentions:

"This flag is often considered offensive in countries which were victims of Japanese hostility, particularly China, Australia, United States and the Koreas, where it is seen as alarming, nationalistic and hostile."

I could have certainly seen myself using imagery like this in a design. I might have thought twice about putting the cubs logo at the center of it however. But, considering their who the intended target was (Japanese and Japanese-Americans) I would have run it by a few Japanese folks, or Fukudome himself, before proceeding, just to make sure. You'd think if the flag was indeed that offensive, they would have mentioned it. And perhaps that did happen and it got through no problem. I certainly did not know that the flag was considered offensive because you see those design elements used all the time.

That's the reason I asked - I'm American, and I don't find that imagery offensive. The website says that my country does, but I don't, and I don't know anyone else who would.

If someone does, okay. But the majority of the posters in this thread (admittedly, as Lamicus said, a lot of white people) don't. So as far as I can tell there's no issue. The only time anyone even considered it offensive is when they read the part of a person's blog explicitly stating that it is.

Yessuh, right away suh.

Just some advice. Think 30 seconds before posting. That may prevent many problems for you.

This advice can also be applied to the 'CCSLC Loveline' thread.

I saw, I came, I left.

Yeah, the article is here: http://www.on205th.com/2008/01/chicago-cub...-offending.html

I realized that I already posted here, but I thought what I was supposed to be offended by the translator bit, not the flag bit. I didn't realize the player was Japanese. In that case, it's in pretty poor taste.

Why?

"This flag is often considered offensive in countries which were victims of Japanese hostility, particularly China, Australia, United States and the Koreas, where it is seen as alarming, nationalistic and hostile."

I could have certainly seen myself using imagery like this in a design. I might have thought twice about putting the cubs logo at the center of it however. But, considering their who the intended target was (Japanese and Japanese-Americans) I would have run it by a few Japanese folks, or Fukudome himself, before proceeding, just to make sure. You'd think if the flag was indeed that offensive, they would have mentioned it. And perhaps that did happen and it got through no problem. I certainly did not know that the flag was considered offensive because you see those design elements used all the time.

That's the reason I asked - I'm American, and I don't find that imagery offensive. The website says that my country does, but I don't, and I don't know anyone else who would.

If someone does, okay. But the majority of the posters in this thread (admittedly, as Lamicus said, a lot of white people) don't. So as far as I can tell there's no issue. The only time anyone even considered it offensive is when they read the part of a person's blog explicitly stating that it is.

"The ironing is delicious."

Why?

Perhaps I read that wrong. I saw that meaning that the use of the flag by America, China, Austraila, and the Koreas was offensive. But re-reading it, I probably read way too much into that.

I personally don't find it offensive. The only offense I could see being taken would be by people of Japanese decent.

Obviously when we are talking about the Pats people are gonna disagree and think I'm an idiot even though what I'm saying isn't stupid(just biased :P)

I might as well get this out here for the record - this guy does not speak for me as a Patriots fan.

Ahh, there, that feels better.

Why?

Perhaps I read that wrong. I saw that meaning that the use of the flag by America, China, Austraila, and the Koreas was offensive. But re-reading it, I probably read way too much into that.

I personally don't find it offensive. The only offense I could see being taken would be by people of Japanese decent.

I don't even see it as people of Japanese descent, but the nations who were directly affected by the Japanese aggressions in WWII- Australia, Philippines, etc etc etc.

But this flag is still in use by the Japanese navy, is it not? If it's a symbol that's still in use, then AFAIC it's fair game. Even if it were retired, banished or decommissioned (similar to, but not drawing comparisons to, the Nazi flag, since it isn't my intention to go down that road), then....then there could be an argument. But as it stands, it's a Japanese player being promoted via usage of a Japanese war flag, and in that aspect, I think it's fine.

I'm Whitey, and I apologize

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Why?

I don't even see it as people of Japanese descent, but the nations who were directly affected by the Japanese aggressions in WWII- Australia, Philippines, etc etc etc.

But this flag is still in use by the Japanese navy, is it not? If it's a symbol that's still in use, then AFAIC it's fair game. Even if it were retired, banished or decommissioned (similar to, but not drawing comparisons to, the Nazi flag, since it isn't my intention to go down that road), then....then there could be an argument. But as it stands, it's a Japanese player being promoted via usage of a Japanese war flag, and in that aspect, I think it's fine.

I don't think the JMSDF uses that flag either....Fred could probably help us out on that.

Upon further reflection, this most likely could torque off Koreans at the least, as well as possibly others from East Asian countries not named Japan or Taiwan. However, those demographics most likely weren't exactly going to be buying Cubs tickets anyway.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

In any case, I wish I could make one post here without getting jumped all over for no real reason.

Then stop saying stupid things. Everything you say is so stupid. Say something educated and thought out next time. Take your time when posting.

Eagles/Heels/Dawgs/Falcons/Hawks

Why?

I don't think the JMSDF uses that flag either....Fred could probably help us out on that.

Upon further reflection, this most likely could torque off Koreans at the least, as well as possibly others from East Asian countries not named Japan or Taiwan. However, those demographics most likely weren't exactly going to be buying Cubs tickets anyway.

The flag is still used as the Naval Ensign.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

Archived