NHL Jersey Discussion - 08-09 3rds

oakland ehs

The Sens new third is horrible but its not any worse than their current home and third. All their revamped logos look bad. I think a modern barberpole jersey would probably satisfy 90% of fans but they will probably turn out 2 more third jerseys before they even attempt one. By that time their original unis could be in play again.

This got me thinking:

It's pretty clear that Reebok and the league doesn't want to come up with classy designs that actually look good and stand the test of time. Their goal seems to be turning out new uniforms and logos as much as possible. In the rare case that a new third is popular and there is a movement to institute it as a regular uniform such as Vancouver and Boston, they still redesign the damn thing just enough so they can resell it!

This is why teams like the Leafs Oilers and Canucks got new uniforms that any fan with microsoft paint could improve upon by simple addition or subtraction and why teams like the Flames replaced a top five uni with some abstract thing with a side panel that looks like a camisole. Of course it got even worse with Buffalo where they put a yellow slug on their uni which the fans seemed to really hate. They never want to perfect the look of any team that needs it because they know they can keep turning out new uniforms. The NHL puts out all these crappy jerseys knowing that many wont be incredibly popular in the long term. Its planned obsolescence.

As a fan of the NHL I am extremely annoyed by this. I understand the need to make money with merchandise, but do they have to treat their main uniform brand like this and confuse everyone that actually watches the games with all these different looks and colours? Can't they just settle on home and road uniforms and limit the experimentation to third unis instead?

Probably the best synopsis I've read on this subject.

Bravo.

SigReflect.png

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Senators, since their inception, have had the potential to look great. They've rarely done anything with this potential. 17 years of mismatches, illegible numbers, swirly sweaters, minor-league 3-D cartoons, Edge templates, and nicknames in Agency Bold as crests. I'd make a "gridlock and compromise, what else is to be expected from Senators?" joke, but that would only work in my country, because Canadian Senators are appointed and just sit around doing nothing. They may wear funny wigs. I don't remember.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The Sens new third is horrible but its not any worse than their current home and third. All their revamped logos look bad. I think a modern barberpole jersey would probably satisfy 90% of fans but they will probably turn out 2 more third jerseys before they even attempt one. By that time their original unis could be in play again.

This got me thinking:

It's pretty clear that Reebok and the league doesn't want to come up with classy designs that actually look good and stand the test of time. Their goal seems to be turning out new uniforms and logos as much as possible. In the rare case that a new third is popular and there is a movement to institute it as a regular uniform such as Vancouver and Boston, they still redesign the damn thing just enough so they can resell it!

This is why teams like the Leafs Oilers and Canucks got new uniforms that any fan with microsoft paint could improve upon by simple addition or subtraction and why teams like the Flames replaced a top five uni with some abstract thing with a side panel that looks like a camisole. Of course it got even worse with Buffalo where they put a yellow slug on their uni which the fans seemed to really hate. They never want to perfect the look of any team that needs it because they know they can keep turning out new uniforms. The NHL puts out all these crappy jerseys knowing that many wont be incredibly popular in the long term. Its planned obsolescence.

As a fan of the NHL I am extremely annoyed by this. I understand the need to make money with merchandise, but do they have to treat their main uniform brand like this and confuse everyone that actually watches the games with all these different looks and colours? Can't they just settle on home and road uniforms and limit the experimentation to third unis instead?

Probably the best synopsis I've read on this subject.

Bravo.

This also makes me very glad to be a Devils fan. They've had the same jersey for basically my whole life and they're not planning on ever changing. I think Lou actually said something along the lines of that the day the Devils get a third jersey will be the day they start putting players names on the front.

But what also happens is that fans get eager to see them switched to primary status. They are shown a brand new jersey and all it really does is bring out flaws about the home and road. It's always the two same scenarios. Either 1-the jersey is blasted by their fans and deported to the land of misfit uniforms, joining Mooterus and Wildwing or 2-the fans start complaining about how the current logo/uniforms suck and how management are idiots for not making it the primary. The disadvantage in all of this is that certain teams feel an increasing need to change their look every seven five three years. How many times have the Flames changed their look?

I already know who will making the switch whenever they get the signal. The teams who I'm sure of are Buffalo and Vancouver. Other uncertain possibilities include NY (Islanders), Edmonton, and Dallas...so far. Toronto kept the same 3 jerseys overall for the past 10 years because it's a more like a vintage tribute to the past instead of a quick money grab. The NYRs have too much history to give Lady Liberty more ice time, once it's reintroduced.

But what also happens is that fans get eager to see them switched to primary status. They are shown a brand new jersey and all it really does is bring out flaws about the home and road. It's always the two same scenarios. Either 1-the jersey is blasted by their fans and deported to the land of misfit uniforms, joining Mooterus and Wildwing or 2-the fans start complaining about how the current logo/uniforms suck and how management are idiots for not making it the primary. The disadvantage in all of this is that certain teams feel an increasing need to change their look every seven five three years. How many times have the Flames changed their look?

I already know who will making the switch whenever they get the signal. The teams who I'm sure of are Buffalo and Vancouver. Other uncertain possibilities include NY (Islanders), Edmonton, and Dallas...so far. Toronto kept the same 3 jerseys overall for the past 10 years because it's a more like a vintage tribute to the past instead of a quick money grab. The NYRs have too much history to give Lady Liberty more ice time, once it's reintroduced.

Sorry, but who exactly is Mooterus?

2dd5.jpg

That is the Mooterus as it is so politely nicknamed, lol.

2ly2w09.jpg

2dd5.jpg

That is the Mooterus as it is so politely nicknamed, lol.

I did not know that. Thank you.

Due to the large number of complaints about the Sens new third jersey, they have decided to make a few changes in order to appease the public.

SensFail.gif

:D

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Hmmm, I changed my mind, the Thrashers third is not the worst ever. Both Anaheim's Wild Wing alternate and LA's "Pissed off Burger King" alternate were much worse than the Thrashers and Sens.

How sad, the greatest goal-scorer the NHL has ever seen had to wear possibly the worst jersey the NHL has seen:

kings.jpg

:blink:

I actually kind of liked that jersey. With a couple of tweaks, I think it could look really good.

4114313717_ee13929eec_o.png

Due to the large number of complaints about the Sens new third jersey, they have decided to make a few changes in order to appease the public.

SensFail.gif

As well as to correctly summarize their tradition as a team....

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

SensFail.gif

Heh! You said it, not me this time. :P

I also have ideas to put SUCK, SOFT and LIMP on there, but I'm waiting until I get my hands on some actual photos of the jersey in action and give them the treatment I gave one of the older ones a few years back.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

The more I see the Sens alternate the more and more I hate the organization...

It seems that they not only choke in the playoffs, but also in the uniform design process.

Hahahah, that actually had me laughing out loud.

2ly2w09.jpg

SensFail.gif

Heh! You said it, not me this time. :P

I also have ideas to put SUCK, SOFT and LIMP on there, but I'm waiting until I get my hands on some actual photos of the jersey in action and give them the treatment I gave one of the older ones a few years back.

I merely said what you were thinking. ;)

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Not NHL, but also not really big enough to justify a separate thread, this Friday the WHL Vancouver Giants are going to wear the 1915 Vancouver Millionaires' jersersys.

Not sure if it will be the reds or whites

vancouver-millionaires-maroon-1915-sweater.jpgvancouver-millionaires-natural-1915-sweater.jpg

Those aren't the exact jerseys they'll wear I'm sure. I doubt they'll be hitting the ice in wool.

considering that the maroons never wore a white jersey, I'd say the maroon one.

DEATH TO REEBOK

Archived