NHL Jersey Discussion - 08-09 3rds

oakland ehs

Is it so hard for Reebok to make a jersey that doesn't look like total crap? :mad:

Senators jerseys: Terrible, and "SENS" across the front is beyond stupid. That concept I've seen here (the black jersey with the O on red and white stripes) is so much better.

Thrashers jerseys: Worst in hockey history, period. The socks look horrible, the stripes on the jersey are a mess, the shoulder logo is too big. I could go on and on. Epic failure of a third jersey. :blink:

Sharks jerseys: Okay, but it really needs hem stripes and to lose the SJ logo in favor of the shark fin logo. The main logo is great!

Bloodhound.gif

felix_thinking_zps5e4863e9.gif?t=1380931

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The 2D logo's on the shoulders !

That 2d logo is GREAT, and they felt that that was the best way to apply it. Wow. Nice job, Ottawa Senators. Haven't had a decent looking uniform other than the pre-EDGE black alts.

A refresher:

BINB.jpg

The 2-D Senator remains completely absent, as part of the Sens' apparent continued commitment to screwing up their uniforms.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The Sens new third is horrible but its not any worse than their current home and third. All their revamped logos look bad. I think a modern barberpole jersey would probably satisfy 90% of fans but they will probably turn out 2 more third jerseys before they even attempt one. By that time their original unis could be in play again.

This got me thinking:

It's pretty clear that Reebok and the league doesn't want to come up with classy designs that actually look good and stand the test of time. Their goal seems to be turning out new uniforms and logos as much as possible. In the rare case that a new third is popular and there is a movement to institute it as a regular uniform such as Vancouver and Boston, they still redesign the damn thing just enough so they can resell it!

This is why teams like the Leafs Oilers and Canucks got new uniforms that any fan with microsoft paint could improve upon by simple addition or subtraction and why teams like the Flames replaced a top five uni with some abstract thing with a side panel that looks like a camisole. Of course it got even worse with Buffalo where they put a yellow slug on their uni which the fans seemed to really hate. They never want to perfect the look of any team that needs it because they know they can keep turning out new uniforms. The NHL puts out all these crappy jerseys knowing that many wont be incredibly popular in the long term. Its planned obsolescence.

As a fan of the NHL I am extremely annoyed by this. I understand the need to make money with merchandise, but do they have to treat their main uniform brand like this and confuse everyone that actually watches the games with all these different looks and colours? Can't they just settle on home and road uniforms and limit the experimentation to third unis instead?

DEATH TO REEBOK

Just a heads up that the Canuks are wearing their 3rd Alts tonight. Watching the pre-game on CBC and saw them in action.

They look pretty good, nothing big though.

*edit*

And the Habs are wearing their "Vintage Jerseys" ( the white ones from last year ).

But they're not in rbk style or at least I didn't notice...

4kv29i.jpg

Just a heads up that the Canuks are wearing their 3rd Alts tonight. Watching the pre-game on CBC and saw them in action.

They look pretty good, nothing big though.

I agree, they looked all right. Personally, I wouldn't have minded if they were green. :hockeysmiley:

Bloodhound.gif

pre ordered my Sharks 3rd.... first RBK jersey i have.... freakin edge crap!

If you're voluntarily parting with $135 for one, you don't really have much room to complain about the quality of the Edge jerseys.

Unless, of course, he means that if there were better designs he would have purchased more jerseys and that this particular design happens to be the first he likes enough to spend his $$ on.

exactly! and i'm actually dummer.....i'm getting authentic and #20 Nabokov to match my old Sharks Nabby jersey

Cool, you should post some pics when you get it in the 'post pics of your jerseys' thread.

As for the poster above you, I've never seen an authentic and replica side by side, so I can't really say what the difference is between the two. I know the premier replica Flyers jersey I have looks just fine. Some one would have to visually show me the difference and it would have to be earth shattering for me to ever lay out the dough for an authentic.

there are just a few major differences.... Authentic: sewn all logos-no screen prints, heavier material (i think), solid bottom hem, and no fag tag on the bottom.....

Replica: tag on the bottom of hem, rounded slits on the bottom hem along the sides, sewn on logos, but screened on details....a low quality material if you ask me

tn_CoorsDog.jpgSharks_signature.jpgtn_five_hole_design_logo_copy.jpg

pre ordered my Sharks 3rd.... first RBK jersey i have.... freakin edge crap!

If you're voluntarily parting with $135 for one, you don't really have much room to complain about the quality of the Edge jerseys.

Unless, of course, he means that if there were better designs he would have purchased more jerseys and that this particular design happens to be the first he likes enough to spend his $$ on.

exactly! and i'm actually dummer.....i'm getting authentic and #20 Nabokov to match my old Sharks Nabby jersey

Cool, you should post some pics when you get it in the 'post pics of your jerseys' thread.

As for the poster above you, I've never seen an authentic and replica side by side, so I can't really say what the difference is between the two. I know the premier replica Flyers jersey I have looks just fine. Some one would have to visually show me the difference and it would have to be earth shattering for me to ever lay out the dough for an authentic.

there are just a few major differences.... Authentic: sewn all logos-no screen prints, heavier material (i think), solid bottom hem, and no fag tag on the bottom.....

Replica: tag on the bottom of hem, rounded slits on the bottom hem along the sides, sewn on logos, but screened on details....a low quality material if you ask me

I own a pro Leafs home from last season. The materials are TOTALLY different, particularly on mine (got it the 3rd day after they became available - it repels water!!). It has a lighter, more flexible twill crest which is stitched onto the jersey. It has a full bottom hem without the slits in the sides. It has a slightly different cut (more contoured to fit on equipment) and is more flexible to wear.

A side note - those Canucks jerseys look very slick, but they look almost identical to their current set if you were just casually watching the game. I do agree that they should be green, BUT, I have a feeling that these will replace the current homes sometime in the near future. Luongo is also wearing his normal mask, not the special white one.

And Letterform, European Soccer Teams change jerseys every few years, so if they can do it, why can't the NHL?

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Another thing about the new Canucks alternates... aside from Johnny Canuck on the helmets, I think they also have new socks which have the same striping scheme as the uniform. I paused the telecast and I'm pretty sure.

I'm glad Luongo stuck to his regular mask; from what I saw of the one he was going to wear, it looked pretty darn fugly.

The Sens new third is horrible but its not any worse than their current home and third. All their revamped logos look bad. I think a modern barberpole jersey would probably satisfy 90% of fans but they will probably turn out 2 more third jerseys before they even attempt one. By that time their original unis could be in play again.

They'll never do that because the barberpole has become a trademark of the Ottawa 67's (they're even referred to as "the Barberpoles" informally) and the Senators wouldn't dare tread on that. Besides, I can't stand the barberpole jersey. I don't understand what people like about the concept. It's a horrid idea. I don't even like it on the 67's.

I realize it's a small, blurry image, but the font of that "SENS" wordmark looks suspiciously like Agency to me.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

new sens 3rd

sens.jpg

wildwing laughs at this.

worst. jersey. ever.

Hmmm, I changed my mind, the Thrashers third is not the worst ever. Both Anaheim's Wild Wing alternate and LA's "Pissed off Burger King" alternate were much worse than the Thrashers and Sens.

How sad, the greatest goal-scorer the NHL has ever seen had to wear possibly the worst jersey the NHL has seen:

kings.jpg

:blink:

Bloodhound.gif

The 2D logo's on the shoulders !

That 2d logo is GREAT, and they felt that that was the best way to apply it. Wow. Nice job, Ottawa Senators. Haven't had a decent looking uniform other than the pre-EDGE black alts.

They didn't apply it at all. It's the 3D logo on the shouders.

If anyone has comparison pictures, I'd still like to see. The heavier material isn't a big deal for me personally because I have no plans to have 220 pound men smashing me against glass. The "fag tag" as you call it takes literally 5 minutes to remove with zero harm done to the jersey. I'm still trying to figure out the screen printed thing. The logo on mine seems fine, though I know (just like past replicas) it's heat sealed on, not sewn around the edge.

edit:

Found This Link

Pretty useful and informative (with pictures). Pretty much unless you're right up on them you can't tell the difference aside from the a person screaming "my jersey may look just like yours but it's better because my wallet is lighter than yours." Sweet.

Don Cherry (if anyone cares what he says lol) gave a nod to the Johnny Canuck V logo on the shoulder, saying the original Johnny Canuck logo was a much better logo than (in his words) "the shark thing or whatever that is" they have now.

Wade-sig.png

Archived