NHL Jersey Discussion - 08-09 3rds

oakland ehs

What are the dates for the rest of the teams? I heard LA is in November.

San Jose will be debuting their 3rd tomorrow at their annual, Teal and White game.

Although is pretty much going to be the same 3rd Black we had before the Edge came out, but with the full body shark (which I'm not a fan of).

Hopefully they put the new fin on the sleeve though - that will make it hella sharp

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That Sabres front crest is WAAAAAAYYY too busy. It doesn't need everything outlined, ridiculous. If you did outline some items in silver, at least rescale the logo so it's not cramped inside the circle. That is just third rate graphic design. Just give us the old log without the outlines, why is it so hard for RBK and the Sabres to understand this? The jersey gets a B from me, nice but ditch the damn piping and pit stain. Kudos for bringing back the old logo, now lose the outlines.

We had the white version for the New Years day game, why couldn't we have that for a few select home games instead??

Agreed about the new logo. You can add some silver accents, but outlining everything in silver just looks ridiculous and lazy. Use some discretion. That, along with the ridiculous pit stains and random piping, keep it from being great.

St. Louis, on the other hand, actually seems to understand that making your jersey as busy as possible is not a good idea. The new Blues look is phenomenal.

Why is there a separate thread for this? I mean seriously...like THIS board wouldn't already know about a new NHL 3rd jersey...

:hockeysmiley:

Yea this was discussed.

I do really like this jersey. It's pure beauty.

But I refuse to type "IBTL."

Never have, never will, other than now.

Just a way to jack up your post count. <_<

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

I like everything about it except the logo. I agree with whoever it was that said that Minnesota did a much better faux-vintage logo. Maybe if the arch wasn't even in it it would look better. I would've loved to have seen a trumpet revival :P

I'm trying to find a reason why they couldn't center the blue note inside the circle, but I'm coming up short.

To balance the logo. Because St. Louis is longer than Blues, having the dots higher up would make the logo feel unbalanced as the only thing on the bottom would be Blues. It's a visual balance thing. If you take the dots out, it'll still look unbalanced, so the dots are actually very necessary where they are.

I'm not talking about the dots, more about the fact that the blue note is overlapping the logo's inner ring. Just seems incredibly sloppy. I tend to agree with the thought that it was done in an effort not to cover the arch, but if that's the problem the designer is faced with, having the blue note overlap the ring is the very last resort. There are a multitude of much better options the designer could have went with instead of the finished product. And I now realize that this is going to stick in my craw for as long as the Blues use the jersey.

teams will be wearing their third jerseys for like 15 times this year which is alot more than they use to wear them. Before they wore them for a couple of games, now they actually will wear them for alot more games and probably sell more jerseys.

Are you sure about that? I thought 15 was the number established for the maximum amount of times a team could wear a third jersey when the thirds first came about.

mets.png

I'm trying to find a reason why they couldn't center the blue note inside the circle, but I'm coming up short.

To balance the logo. Because St. Louis is longer than Blues, having the dots higher up would make the logo feel unbalanced as the only thing on the bottom would be Blues. It's a visual balance thing. If you take the dots out, it'll still look unbalanced, so the dots are actually very necessary where they are.

I'm not talking about the dots, more about the fact that the blue note is overlapping the logo's inner ring. Just seems incredibly sloppy. I tend to agree with the thought that it was done in an effort not to cover the arch, but if that's the problem the designer is faced with, having the blue note overlap the ring is the very last resort. There are a multitude of much better options the designer could have went with instead of the finished product. And I now realize that this is going to stick in my craw for as long as the Blues use the jersey.

The Bluenote is also heavier/busier on the left side than the right side where it tapers to a point. If it was pushed over to the right to be "centered" more, it would look unbalanced.

Think of the Red Wings logo. The focal point is the spoked wheel. If that logo was dead center on the jersey the wheel would be too far to the left and the center of the logo would be more of the wing area than the wheel. That's why the tip of the wing is closer to the arm than the spoked wheel is so that it doesn't look off balance on the jersey.

The hem stripes on the Blues jersey reminds me of the hem stripes they had on their last sets before the league went EDGE.

Still, a very nice jersey. I'd have made the stripes on the sleeve as thick as the ones on the hem, but then again, that incosistency in the stripe thickness was something they had on that set too, so it's a nice nod to that. I feel it could definitely use some Royal Blue in there, even if only in the actual bluenotes or in that blue ring in the logo along with that space between the stripes on the sleeves or along the bottom of the jersey itself.

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

teams will be wearing their third jerseys for like 15 times this year which is alot more than they use to wear them. Before they wore them for a couple of games, now they actually will wear them for alot more games and probably sell more jerseys.

Are you sure about that? I thought 15 was the number established for the maximum amount of times a team could wear a third jersey when the thirds first came about.

The wings jerseys used to have the wheel part of the logo centred on their jerseys. They just made it smaller. Personally, I think I looked better that way.

DEATH TO REEBOK

I think it's totally legit that the Bluenote isn't centered in the logo.

But had they simply shrunk the note a little bit or centered it a little more, they could have avoided the awkward overlap.

And yet, I know the designers aren't that oblivious, so there's some reason they decided this was the right call.

What that logo would be perfect for is center ice. As a sweater crest, it's too busy.

Best Blues look was the early 1990s with just a little bit of red to go with the blue and yellow, it's all been downhill from there.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived