NHL Jersey Discussion - 08-09 3rds

oakland ehs

What that logo would be perfect for is center ice. As a sweater crest, it's too busy.

Best Blues look was the early 1990s with just a little bit of red to go with the blue and yellow, it's all been downhill from there.

I did like that look, but I think you'll get tons of disagreement with the end of your statement. The best look was hands down the one employed from 1998-2007.

I really like what they have currently, too, though.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
alternate_logo.jpg

This may be my new fav logo in the NHL!!!

Bring back the Copperplate Abuse thread. ;)

Yeah, negative points for the Copperplate.

Also... the beveled yellow outline is really throwing me off. Especially since the yellow outline on the other side of the St. Louis script isn't beveled. And yes, the logo placement is a little weird.

But overall it's pretty good.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

Here it is.

sUTvn7iFaybluesthird.png

3LniCXqBFpblues3rd2.png

#1 Remove the Arch

#2 Remove the bezel

#3 Center the Bluenote so that it does not overlap

follow those three steps and you have the best 3rd so far.

Would this have been a good opportunity to put a re-colored trumpet logo on the shoulder?

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

I think the beveling really contradicts the whole faux-retro thing they're going for here. Get rid of the beveling and change the font, and it's really not a bad alternate logo. Unfortunately, the beveling and font really ruin it for me.

In a way, it kind of reminds me of the old Flyers third - not a bad concept, but ruined because they tried to "3D" the crest.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Would this have been a good opportunity to put a re-colored trumpet logo on the shoulder?

Absolutely. I hate it when main crest logos are repeated on the shoulder, and the trumpet is too good not to use. The Blues are one of few teams to have two really strong logos, they should make the most of them.

I also wish they would've stuck with royal, if they were going for an old-time feel.

The Blues are one of few teams to have two really strong logos, they should make the most of them.

I'd have loved to see the trumpet make a return, but the Blues haven't had that as a logo since 1998.

We've all seen beautiful re-colorings of it in royal, gold, and navy, but the only version it ever existed in was royal, gold, and red.

alternate_logo.jpg

This may be my new fav logo in the NHL!!!

Bring back the Copperplate Abuse thread. ;)

Yeah, negative points for the Copperplate.

Also... the beveled yellow outline is really throwing me off. Especially since the yellow outline on the other side of the St. Louis script isn't beveled. And yes, the logo placement is a little weird.

But overall it's pretty good.

That's my reaction to it as well - solid logo, but with a couple problems. And I really hate the beveled ring - extremely awkward and overdesigned.

Interesting that so many have a negative take on the bevel. Obviously I'm looking for positives in the logo, but the bevel doesn't bother me at all. The fact that it introduces another color into the mix that may or may not be necessary bothers me a bit, but the manner it which its introduced (the bevel) isn't all that disturbing to me.

For me it kind of relates to the bevel of the arch.

EDIT: On second though, there's just no way they'd have only done the little bit if they wanted to relate it to this. But I'll leave up the post and image.

If this were indeed the case, I think it could have been executed in a way better way, but perhaps the overlap was in some way related to this logo?

1e94_1.JPG

Sorry, I can't find a better image online, and I don't have any of my memorabilia with the logo here at school.

You don't add needless aspects to a uniform. It's like football teams with two pairs of white pants. You don't do it.

See Broncos, Denver.

The curvy stripes might not fit perfectly with the uniform, but because the striping pattern is the same, it in no way negatively impacts MY view of the uniforms. And the royal Bluenote on the pants is simply something you deal with. It's small enough that it doesn't stick out too badly.

Ultimately finished product matters, but I'd almost guarantee the designers didn't overlook these things, they simply decided less is better.

Maybe so. But taking a look around the league, Buffalo, Carolina, Pittsburgh, and (one would presume) Edmonton are all wearing new pants, specifically designed to go along with their alternate jerseys. At some point, the decision was made with all of these that a new set of pants needed to be made to truly bring the uniform together from top to bottom. Someone working on the Blues' design either ignored this possibility or consciously deemed it unnecessary. And either way, I think that hurts the overall look.

Now, if the Blues were wearing solid colored breezers to begin with, like Boston, or were sporting a set with straight striping components, this would not be an issue.

That's the killer about this Blues uni - it's not flat-out terrible, it's more of a "death by a thousand cuts" issue. There are many points where I just go "they could have" or "they should have," and they didn't.

I will agree with you on this - the Blues' look from '98-'07 was their finest by far. I especially loved the early years of it, with the navy parts done in dazzle nylon.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Oh, I know the double white pants thing is done, but it kills me. In the broncos case, though, I've spent lots of thought trying to figure out a good solution to it, and I usually come up empty.

As for all these teams deeming it's necessary to go with different pants, that kills me. Actually, Carolina and Edmonton (if it's the vintage) are in the clear as they're different colors.

But wearing two of the same colored pants is unnecessary IMO.

Would the uniform be better with a different pair of pants? Marginally.

And I realize these teams have lots of resources. But I guess I still think in a manner of efficiency. And to me, wearing two pairs of pants that are only a hair different isn't worth it.

I get your point, and I like I said, it'd look a little better. But if I were the designer, I'd have also made the choice to let it be.

Now, the logo, that's not the case. I would have done something else with the placement of the Bluenote, whether centering or shrinking, to prevent the overlap.

I've also started to get over the "death by a thousand cuts" thing a little I guess. Don't get me wrong, I stand by my desire for consistency, but there's so many cases of little things on otherwise great uniforms that I've started to grow numb to it.

The Auburn-LSU game the other night for instance. It kills me that these two teams don't make their pant and helmet stripes match. So I guess I'm not totally numb to it. But I'm willing to recognize the greatness and beauty of the design even while wishing they'd make the fixes.

Here it is.

sUTvn7iFaybluesthird.png

3LniCXqBFpblues3rd2.png

I'm already anticipating that there's gonna be more than a few times when the Blues wear this alt and I'm going to mistake them for being the Sabres' alts. I know once you get to the nitty gritty details, they don't look that much alike, but on TV and from afar, they might as well be the same, IMO.

Still, it's better than their primary jerseys.

Archived