Oklahoma City .....

jhans203

Can they even use Energy? The D-League already has the Iowa Energy team.

I'm seriously wondering if the double-l Marshalls name was a typographical error or something.

Well the D-League is a part of the NBA, the NBA essentially owns the rights to the name. The Dakota Wizards and Washington Wizards share a nickname, so I don't see why OKC and Iowa can't share Energy. That sentence just sounds weird.

My bet is either on the Thunder or Barons.

rbze43.jpg

23vhpba.jpg11r3n9f.jpg

• Replies 685
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1) Barons

2) Thunder

3) Bisons

4) Marshalls

Hell No to Wind and Energy

Agree. What the heck were they smoking when they came up w/ the Wind and Energy? :blink:

Anyway, what exactly was the source for the whole "Thunder" news leak before? Was the leak from an inside person or did the reporter just scour that from the online trademark database too? Depending on which, I'm holding out a very, very small hope that "Barons" can still be picked.

1) Barons

2) Thunder

3) Bisons

4) Marshalls

Agree. What the heck were they smoking when they came up w/ the Wind and Energy? :blink:

Anyway, what exactly was the source for the whole "Thunder" news leak before? Was the leak from an inside person or did the reporter just scour that from the online trademark database too? Depending on which, I'm holding out a very, very small hope that "Barons" can still be picked.

Okay, Wind and Energy are fine names for a WNBA team....so, I guess Barons, Marshalls, or Thunder are better.

Can they even use Energy? The D-League already has the Iowa Energy team.

I'm seriously wondering if the double-l Marshalls name was a typographical error or something.

Well the D-League is a part of the NBA, the NBA essentially owns the rights to the name. The Dakota Wizards and Washington Wizards share a nickname, so I don't see why OKC and Iowa can't share Energy. That sentence just sounds weird.

My bet is either on the Thunder or Barons.

Well, the Wizards situation was different, since the Dakota team had existed for years under that name in the CBA before being acquired by the D-League. The OKC situation means the NBA would have chosen to brand two teams in its leagues with the exact same nickname in consecutive years.

oakqb4.jpg

Well, the Wizards situation was different, since the Dakota team had existed for years under that name in the CBA before being acquired by the D-League. The OKC situation means the NBA would have chosen to brand two teams in its leagues with the exact same nickname in consecutive years.

I've mentioned this before, but the Dakota Wizards actually trace their roots back to the old International Basketball Association. They played in that league from 1995-1996 through 2000-2001 before joining the CBA for the 2001-2002 season.

1) Barons

2) Thunder

3) Bisons

4) Marshalls

Hate to be "that guy" but I hink it would be just Bison. In a similar way to Moose. Funny enough though the Colorado Buffaloes is also wrong. They should be the Colorado Buffalo.

2014Event7_Medal.pngEvent5_Medal.pngSDLureFT1L2.pngwb9iz8.jpg

1) Barons

2) Thunder

3) Bisons

4) Marshalls

Hate to be "that guy" but I hink it would be just Bison. In a similar way to Moose. Funny enough though the Colorado Buffaloes is also wrong. They should be the Colorado Buffalo.

I hate to be "that guy," but Buffaloes is grammatically correct. You are right in that it should be Bison instead of Bisons.

1) Barons

2) Thunder

3) Bisons

4) Marshalls

I hate to be "that guy," but Buffaloes is grammatically correct. You are right in that it should be Bison instead of Bisons.

"...where the buffalo roam..." not "...where the buffaloes roam...."

Webster says acceptable plural forms of buffalo are buffalo, buffalos and buffaloes. So everyone is "that guy" now.

Cards.png

1) Barons

2) Thunder

3) Bisons

4) Marshalls

"...where the buffalo roam..." not "...where the buffaloes roam...."

Webster says acceptable plural forms of buffalo are buffalo, buffalos and buffaloes. So everyone is "that guy" now.

Also, it is typical for many Southerners and Midwesterners to use singular names for animals instead of the correct plural ones. (for example; I spend my weekends huntin' duck and hog.)

Union.png

Wow, Wind was the name I was talking with Chicago WNBA Team owners and management about for a while. I agree it would only fit in the WNBA, and it sounds more and more like Thunder will be the choice here.

1) Barons

2) Thunder

3) Bisons

4) Marshalls

Awh!!! GO Buffs!!!

Romans 5:8

NikoLazar.com

Apparently Yahoo is getting into it now. You can vote for one of the 6 here:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/ball_dont...n?urn=nba,96375

Just came here to post that... it's actually fairly entertaining, with mascots, dance teams and cheesy arena song ideas. And with Snoopy on board as the mascot for the Barons, how can you vote against that? Still my favorite.

(And with the addition of Marshalls with two Ls... OKC NBA must be reading this thread, right?)

Just came here to post that... it's actually fairly entertaining, with mascots, dance teams and cheesy arena song ideas. And with Snoopy on board as the mascot for the Barons, how can you vote against that? Still my favorite.

(And with the addition of Marshalls with two Ls... OKC NBA must be reading this thread, right?)

So lemme get this straight -- Because OKC's chosen nickname was leaked, the NBA said screw it and started up a "name the team" contest?...

Idiots.

Well on second thought, I guess it does give them a reason to backtrack and go with 'Barons' this time around.

6uXNWAo.png

Well on second thought, I guess it does give them a reason to backtrack and go with 'Barons' this time around.
god i hope so. for me, Thunder is "okay" at best, but definitely not a top choice. Barons just sound so much cooler IMO

So lemme get this straight -- Because OKC's chosen nickname was leaked, the NBA said screw it and started up a "name the team" contest?...

Idiots.

Just to be clear, the NBA isn't holding a "name the team" contest. Yahoo! is holding its own informal Web poll, but the NBA isn't involved in it.

Archived