OKC NBA to announce nickname, logo, colors September 3

Burmy

AAO, for your own good, relax. You are talented and you'll get your stuff out there, but if this and the UniWatch contest reaction are any indication, no one is going to want to work with you if they get ripped mercilessly every time you don't see eye-to-eye.

I'm not a fan of the Thunder logo and I appreciate that you worked hard on some logos and connections for this, but trashing the organization will not make you any friends in professional circles. The customer is always right. And you won't have any if you treat the potential ones like this -- before, during or after the fact. Keep your head up and don't dwell on the missed opportunities. Instead, build off the experience and use those connections and/or logos to wow the next client.

Now, my real reason for coming back in this thread. I think I've read all of the posts in here, but and I haven't seen this conspiracy theory: Remove that O in OKC and what's left is an almost perfectly centered KC. Swap Thunder for whatever local Kansas City nickname you prefer and, voila, an easy (and likely cheap) transition to this franchise's next home if the Oklahoma thing doesn't work out. It's so generic in can work in two cities with any name!

(I'm only partially serious.)

• Replies 699
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Calm down? Man I spent months trying to perfect the different options I had for these guys.

No offense intended, but if this...

OKCThunderBlue.gif

... represented perfection to your mind, than you were misleading yourself. Was this, in fact, the concept you submitted to the Oklahoma City Thunder? If so, read on.

While the choice of linking the Thunder name with the image of a bison is the one I would have made, and the wordmark you created was solid, the rest of this concept leaves a great deal to be desired. To put it bluntly, the rendering of the bison isn't close to being anatomically correct. The creature's body is too elongated. Its legs don't meet the body accurately. The posture in which the bison is depicted is far too stiff and static. In short, the quality of artwork in this concept is nowhere near good enough to be given even remote consideration by a major-professional sports franchise.

Worked with an Oklahoma based company who kept telling me they were trying there best to get in front of Clay with my ideas and their flash presentations.

Frankly, the people at the "Oklahoma based company" are either rank amateurs, self-delusional as to the ways in which the graphic design field works in conjunction with major sports properties or they were selling you a bill of goods.

The odds of a major-professional sports franchise and/or league accepting unsolicited logo submissions from a company specializing in Flash presentations, let alone a college student, are the proverbial "slim and none". If you, as someone who aspires to work in the design industry, aren't aware of this by now... well, frankly you should be.

Again, I'm sorry if this critique strikes you as harsh, but it does you no good to allow yourself to believe that this concept was of professional-grade quality. It simply wasn't. Certainly not for use by a "Big Four" pro sports franchise.

You may find the logo that the Oklahoma City Thunder actually adopted to be derivative and uninspired. Truth be told, so do I. That doesn't mean that your bison-based concept is better. If it were, I'd be the first person to say so. Simply put, it is not. If that is the source of your frustration over the unveiling of the Thunder's logo, it is misplaced.

jersey wordmarks:

okc_wordmarks.gif

fwiw, they are using "Industria Solid" as their typeface

also, they have this redundant-beyond-compare "alternate primary mark":

okc_primary.gif

woohoo.

Are those actual wordmarks, or just what you suspect they'd look like?

Cuz gotta tell ya, the supposed "road wordmark" is not the same font as "Thunder" and "Oklahoma City" in the logo. Look at the 'A' if you need proof.

With a little tweek they could have just gotten straight to the point.

OKCFailed.png

I used to think "fail" memes were cute, but you guys have run them into the ground in a single day. I'd like to not hear or see that word for a long while.

Well, I believe that's a task with the potential of epic failure.

:D

(Sorry, had to.)

I sit here today after what happened and I still can't stop laughing.

I can't stop laughing at what a horrible piece of crap this is. All Sonic fans should either be ashamed or hiding in recluse for letting that heartless bastard Bennett steal the Sonics and turn them into this... this... this joke!

May this team go 0-82 and have Mr. Stern pull the plug on Bennett and this failure from hell and bring back the Sonics in Seattle... Where they freaking belong TO BEGIN WITH!

Archived