MLB 2009

mania

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was hoping they would go back to their old road uniforms without the cuffs or the white trim. Just plain blue "NEW YORK" and numbers.

Um, yeah...because BORING is good. So very, very good.

Even after buying every available free agent pitcher on the market this offseason, they'll still be able to afford that 2nd layer of twill on the road jerseys. Hell, maybe one day, they'll really splurge, and put NAMES ON THE BACK of the road jerseys.

Oh, wait. They're the Yankee$, and we're all supposed to have their 40-man roster memorized.

My bad.

Is there something you are holding back regarding your dislike of the Yankees????

Anyway, I agree with the admiral, I would love to see the sleeve stripes and the white background leave the Yanks road jerseys. I have been thinking the same thing for a long time.

Twins 1982 throwbacks (couldn't find the actual unveiling pics yet):

twinsthrowback.jpg

Like the Brewers 1982 throwbacks these have been updated to a button down front and a belt.

I am glad to see the red cap getting some use. Thought it was a waste when they brought it back a few years ago as a 3rd had but barely worn them. Now maybe I will finally buy a new one to replace my throwback version.

Love them, should be their full time look. IMHO.

While I prefer any Twins uniform that doesn't include pinstripes, the "Twins" script is just awful.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Once again, the Brewers are the fashion vanguard.

Who's next for the updated retro alt?

Aren't the Brewers ditching the "retros?"

Where did you hear that?

I haven't seen confirmation that they'll be back, but I would be shocked as hell, given how staggeringly popular they are with fans.

The post in question is here, not in this thread but in another one started back in September. According to an article quoted by DrBear 29 posts in, "several players" asked to get out of wearing them on the last Friday after BP with the owner's approval.

It may not carry over into next season, but there is something to be said about the 2008 team wanting make their own mark. Probably just a one-time thing though, that will be repeated late in the 2009 season if the team is in similar shape. As with the new Twins if they were to keep it for more than one year, I'd like to see them incorporate the retro set into their current uniform style to eliminate the "living in the past" factor. As in, do what the Chargers eventually did, not what the Cowboys continue to do.

And as far as the Brewers being the vanguard? I'm afraid the White Sox's "modernized throwback" 1917 Sunday alts in 2001 predate the Brewers' effort.

Once again, the Brewers are the fashion vanguard.

Who's next for the updated retro alt?

Aren't the Brewers ditching the "retros?"

Sorry, just thought I saw something on here about that. Although I do understand the Brewers' W-L record isn't so great in the retros.

Maybe not, but take a look around the ballpark - easily 50% of the fans are wearing retro gear at any game.

I was in Milwaukee during the pennant chase, and while it seemed as though everywhere I went had people in Brewers jerseys, t-shirts and caps - from Rock Bottom on the river to the Zoo to Discovery World to Mo's in Wauwatosa - I saw exactly one person in a current jersey. If Miller Park was split 50/50, then the fans on the street were 90/10 or greater.

Add that to every single poll conducted on the subject, indicating that Milwaukeeans prefer the old look in a landslide, and it's a receipe for more throwback, not less.

Like the Brewers 1982 throwbacks these have been updated to a button down front and a belt.

. . . and, apparently, by making the sleeve stripes much narrower. I can understand going with the button front jersey and belt. However, you would think they could at least make the sleeve stripes accurate.

I think these look better than the original...and let's not forget Majestic's tendency to make the retro sleeve stripes too fat.

Maybe not, but take a look around the ballpark - easily 50% of the fans are wearing retro gear at any game.

I was in Milwaukee during the pennant chase, and while it seemed as though everywhere I went had people in Brewers jerseys, t-shirts and caps - from Rock Bottom on the river to the Zoo to Discovery World to Mo's in Wauwatosa - I saw exactly one person in a current jersey. If Miller Park was split 50/50, then the fans on the street were 90/10 or greater.

Add that to every single poll conducted on the subject, indicating that Milwaukeeans prefer the old look in a landslide, and it's a receipe for more throwback, not less.

I'm in the minority, then. I have a shirt and cap, and I'll get my jersey if MLB store decides to get on their game, but I only have modern swag.

I certainly know what you mean, though. Retro sells.

And as far as the Brewers being the vanguard? I'm afraid the White Sox's "modernized throwback" 1917 Sunday alts in 2001 predate the Brewers' effort.

Here are the Sox unis I was referencing. Took me a while to find a photo. Worn every Sunday in 2001.

42954337.jpg

Changes include the logo on the cap and, of course, no wool. A 1917 look modernized for 2001. I prefer this look to any of those 4th of July logos. I think the Nationals should have considered this star treatment for their DC alt.

. . . and, apparently, by making the sleeve stripes much narrower. I can understand going with the button front jersey and belt. However, you would think they could at least make the sleeve stripes accurate.

I think these look better than the original...and let's not forget Majestic's tendency to make the retro sleeve stripes too fat.

Having seen the real thing, I think the smaller sleeve stripes do look better than the original ones. Since this is being billed as "updated retro", I guess it is acceptable to change the stripes.

That being said, I still want stirrups with the TC logo showing. No pajama pants.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Here are the Sox unis I was referencing. Took me a while to find a photo. Worn every Sunday in 2001.

42954337.jpg

Changes include the logo on the cap and, of course, no wool. A 1917 look modernized for 2001. I prefer this look to any of those 4th of July logos. I think the Nationals should have considered this star treatment for their DC alt.

Dont forget adding numbers to the back, which were not originally used in 1917. I loved this uniform, and I really wish they had used it for more than one year.

The White Sox were also the innovators of the basic idea of throwbacks at all, when they wore the old uniforms the last few games at Old Comiskey in 1990. Their current set is also basically a modernized version of a classic look, so this trend has been around for a while.

dbacks.gif mariners.gif

Having seen the real thing, I think the smaller sleeve stripes do look better than the original ones. Since this is being billed as "updated retro", I guess it is acceptable to change the stripes.

That being said, I still want stirrups with the TC logo showing. No pajama pants.

I love the 1917/2001 Chisox hat. I wish that style of hat would be used again somewhere, with the lines coming down from the button.

The Jays have to come up with a Ted Rogers memorial patch.

I wouldn't be surprised if it would be along the lines of the Black circle TC patch they wore a couple of years ago when broadcaster Tom Cheek passed away.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

I wouldnt mind seeing some pullovers make a comeback. some of the recent throwbacks have looked really nice with and updated, baggier cut.

Agreed on your first point about pullovers, absolutely disagree with the "baggier" cut looking better than a fitted cut. Baggy = sloppy, sloppy, sloppy. Keep that junk on the basketball court with their floaty pantaloons, please.

Any more news of the Red Sox new cap for 2009? How about the long-rumored road jersey change? Is there an official date when images of these items could be released to the public? I know the Christmas at Fenwa event (which will be one week from Saturday) could have some type of unveiling. I went to the 2003 CAF, and that's when they unveiled the green St. Patrick's day BP jersey. Thanks!

The Jays have to come up with a Ted Rogers memorial patch.

I wouldn't be surprised if it would be along the lines of the Black circle TC patch they wore a couple of years ago when broadcaster Tom Cheek passed away.

Neither would I -- they did it for Sam Pollock too. Within the organization we all called him 'Uncle Ted' but I doubt we'd see that on a patch.

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

Archived