MLB 2009

mania

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes - they should add red trim to the lettering on the roads. Keep the red undershirts on the road and go back to blue undershirts at home. Bring back the old school red/blue striped socks for both sets and call it a day.

Actually, I kind of like the red undershirts at home, but agree with you on the other points.

I would've liked your 2nd logo - the one with Boston in navy and Red Sox in red - to be the new primary. That looks classy and is only a minor deviation from the old logo (the only change being the script "Boston" is in), and would've been a very cohesive logo that properly builds on the tradition of the old logo.

1923 1927 1928 1932 1936 1937 1938 1939 1941 1943 1947 1949 1950 1951 1952 1953 1956 1958 1961 1962 1977 1978 1996 1998 1999 2000 2009

What may be lost here is that the "hanging socks" logo is also new - it's a slightly modifed version of the original.

Do you know for definite if the roads and/or alternates have names on them? Are the numbers given the same color treatment as the team name/city on the front?

Any news clips and photos I've seen were inconclusive.

The pics in the "Red Sox new logo" thread show very clearly that both road jerseys have names, and no nameplates on the greys anymore.

The greys have the name and number in Navy only (numbers are Red Sox font), and the blue alt has the name and number in red with white trim (numbers in Red Sox font).

Go Astros!

Go Texans!

Go Rockets!

Go Javelinas!

I'm glad to see the Red $ox add a road alternate, but they missed the boat by not having sleeve and placket piping, and by removing it from the home alternate.

The new primary road is a nap waiting to happen...the sartorial equivilent of watching paint dry.

They had a chance to do great things. They blew that chance.

It makes no sense to me that the Red Sox would update their circle logo with a red Boston in the correct font, then ditch it from the roads. Why not leave Boston blue but change it to the correct font? Well, other than the fact the new one looks better. To me, the way to go is the old roads and the new circle logo.

As others have said, the blue lettering needs a red outline at the very least, and I don't think the socks cut it alone as a primary. Nice alt/sleeve logo, but not a primary. They've really made a mess of things.

I don't know why, but I always looked at the block Boston of the '80s as a design limitation (technology, expense, whatever) that they never bothered to fix because it became tradition. Then they finally did, and it worked really well. Why they've moved away from that is a mystery.

It makes no sense to me that the Red Sox would update their circle logo with a red Boston in the correct font, then ditch it from the roads.

It seems to me that they're being wishy-washy. Unwilling to ditch the logo altogether, they just fix it and shunt it way off to the side.

When you redesign uniforms, they're suppose to become more harmoniously designed, not less. This whole "at home we're a red team, away we're a blue team" thing that the Cardinals and Nationals do is ridiculous. Add the Red Sox to the ridiculousness, I guess. The Cubs do it to some extent as well, also bad.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

When you redesign uniforms, they're suppose to become more harmoniously designed, not less. This whole "at home we're a red team, away we're a blue team" thing that the Cardinals and Nationals do is ridiculous. Add the Red Sox to the ridiculousness, I guess. The Cubs do it to some extent as well, also bad.

I don't know that you can say that about the Red Sox or the Cubs - the Cubs are getting rid of the road cap and the Sox are apparently still wearing the red undershirts on the road.

I can say it about the Red Sox: there's no more red on the grey jerseys, but there's plenty on the whites. I don't get why they'd try to re-enact 1986 after 2004 and 2007, but who are we to question the mighty Fenway Diversified SportsEntertainment Holdings Cabal.

The Cubs one is a bit of a reach, admittedly. I just think there's too much red on the greys right now. Good riddance to the road cap, now use blue trimmed in red on very light grey with more progressive lettering than athletic block and the Cubs' visual identity will be clear.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Earlier in this thread, we discussed if the Phillies were going to continue the trend of the champs wearing special gold-trimmed jerseys on opening day. There was an awesome suggestion that instead of gold trim, they should go with gold stars. Well today, I saw authentic jerseys that had the World Series patch on the sleeve, just like they wore in the WS. Except these also had a little bar sewn on underneath the patch that read "Champions". I'm not sure why they'd put that on an authentic if it wasn't... you know... "authentic." I wonder if this is what they're going to wear on opening day?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Earlier in this thread, we discussed if the Phillies were going to continue the trend of the champs wearing special gold-trimmed jerseys on opening day. There was an awesome suggestion that instead of gold trim, they should go with gold stars. Well today, I saw authentic jerseys that had the World Series patch on the sleeve, just like they wore in the WS. Except these also had a little bar sewn on underneath the patch that read "Champions". I'm not sure why they'd put that on an authentic if it wasn't... you know... "authentic." I wonder if this is what they're going to wear on opening day?

No. They put the "champions" bar under the WS patch just to sell jerseys that aren't authentic. When the Cardinals won, they sold the same thing, but had a different patch that they wore in 07 at home. They actually had 2 WS Champs logos, but only wore the one that MLB made previous to the 06 Series.

Archived