NFL Considering Playing Games In the Spring

buzzcut

As reported by this Yahoo! Sports article

[sarcasm Mode]Personally, if this happens, the NHL, NBA, PGA Tour, NASCAR and every MLB team NOT named the Yankees or Red Sox should just throw in the towel and fold.[/sarcasm Mode]

Actually in all seriousness, it might just happen. Oh, and they're thinking about adding 2 games to the regular season schedule and expanding the playoffs.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

There's a reason why Spring games are only at the high school and college level...it's basically them getting in some snaps because they have an extremely limited number of chances to get it done. It's way too amateurish for the NFL to be doing it.

And yeah, like J.A. Adande said on PTI today...the NFL already gets a lot of attention during the Spring, it's called the NFL Draft.

Drew22 and TFoA took the words right out of my mouth.

Football is best in cold weather.

It's too amateurish for the NFL.

There is a reason College and High School does it. Limited time. The kids also have school. It's not their job (as much as some coaches want to think it is <_<). They're not getting paid.

Plus I'm sick enough with the year-round 24/7/365 coverage the NFL gets anyways. First its OTAs, then training camp, then preseason, then regular season, then playoffs, the pro bowl, then college workouts, then the combine, then the draft, then rookie camp, then spring camp, then back to OTAs... etc.

The amount of coverage the NFL gets is absurd at times.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

ESPN's angle to this idea.

And after thinking about this, I'm with you guys. No way on god's green grass do I want to see a spring game in the NFL. Unfortunately as I see it unfolding, the sheep will lap it up and more spring games will arise from it.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

Drew22 and TFoA took the words right out of my mouth.

Football is best in cold weather.

It's too amateurish for the NFL.

There is a reason College and High School does it. Limited time. The kids also have school. It's not their job (as much as some coaches want to think it is <_<). They're not getting paid.

Plus I'm sick enough with the year-round 24/7/365 coverage the NFL gets anyways. First its OTAs, then training camp, then preseason, then regular season, then playoffs, the pro bowl, then college workouts, then the combine, then the draft, then rookie camp, then spring camp, then back to OTAs... etc.

The amount of coverage the NFL gets is absurd at times.

Their coverage is not absurd, it is deserved as it is the advertising boon for networks. They all want it, therefore they cover it. Roger needs to get the CBA issue settled before talk of a spring scrimmage. NFLPA will want to get paid for it, plus the schedule for OTAs and possibly even the draft would have to be moved. Get the players and owners on the same basic page before adding to what you do.

An expanded regular season I'm OK with. I don't want to see expanded playoffs or spring football beyond a scrimmage. As I see it, the amount of coverage is fine. It is the number one sport in the US, so it isn't far-fetched.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

please god no. i can barely tolerate the nfl now. it gets too much coverage from what i want to follow (hockey and college basketball) as it is. i don't want it ruining my other favorite sport (baseball) at the beginnings and ends of the season.

please god no. i can barely tolerate the nfl now. it gets too much coverage from what i want to follow (hockey and college basketball) as it is. i don't want it ruining my other favorite sport (baseball) at the beginnings and ends of the season.

What he said. We don't need any more NFL. Period. I also agree with BCBoy, get rid of two preseason games and leave the rest alone.

The NFL has to be careful. There are slowly working their way towards "too much of a good thing" status. I don't care how great or popular something is. If you push it too far it will bite you in the ass. The NFL isn't immune to it.

BB52Big.jpg

I'm all for an 18-game regular season, but can we please move the start of the regular season to the first week of August rather than Labor Day weekend? The idea of playing Super Bowls in February is already one I don't like, and knowing the NFL this would result in the season somehow being stretched out to mid-February or perhaps even early March.

nav-logo.png

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...no games in Spring, no 18 game season, and especially no games overseas or outside the US!

(MLF) Chicago Cannons,  (IHA) Phoenix Firebirds - 2021 Xtreme Cup Champions

(WAFL) Phoenix Federals - WAFL World Bowl XII Champions (Defunct)

I'm all for an 18-game regular season, but can we please move the start of the regular season to the first week of August rather than Labor Day weekend? The idea of playing Super Bowls in February is already one I don't like, and knowing the NFL this would result in the season somehow being stretched out to mid-February or perhaps even early March.

Apparently, the plan would be the Super Bowl to be scheduled the third week of February, with the Pro Bowl the week before.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

The best case would be to have the Super Bowl played the day before Presidents day, when public employees are LIKELY to be off (I know some schools are open, necessary public works, etc...) but it is the day of the year with the most people calling in sick.

That being said, if they're NOT going to do it like that, then it should still be the last Sunday in January like it had been, just move the season start date to August or the first Sunday in September and eliminate the stupid 2-week hiatus between the championship game and the Super Bowl.

And for the record, I'm a private employee...so I personally wouldn't have Presidents Day off...I'm just saying it would be a great idea.

65caba33-7cfc-417f-ac8e-5eb8cdd12dc9_zps

Archived