Rams to wear '99 throwbacks in 2009.

rams80

I don't know if I'd like yellow with navy. I don't have favorable impressions in my head, but I don't mind it on the Blues alternate jersey as a real case example, so maybe it'd be okay.

But I think I'd rather see them just go with a darker royal I think.

But I also don't share the negative opinion of the old gold that some of you have

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't know if I'd like yellow with navy. I don't have favorable impressions in my head, but I don't mind it on the Blues alternate jersey as a real case example, so maybe it'd be okay.

But I think I'd rather see them just go with a darker royal I think.

But I also don't share the negative opinion of the old gold that some of you have

If you need another reference for navy and yellow, take a look at Michigan.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I always loved the dark jersey from the blue and white years, too:

1972_Broncos-Rams_Gabriel.jpg

Saints1967JimTaylorgame.jpg

That second photo was, from a uniform standpoint, one of the greatest looking games in NFL history IMHO.

I actually bought a Roman Gabriel 1969 from an HR-Derby auction on eBay awhile back:

1969_Rams_Blue_FrontJPG.jpg

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

That second photo was, from a uniform standpoint, one of the greatest looking games in NFL history IMHO.

I actually bought a Roman Gabriel 1969 from an HR-Derby auction on eBay awhile back:

That is what a football uniform should look like. Clean and classic. Why anyone would prefer the other Rams uniforms over these is beyond me.

BB52Big.jpg

The current Rams unis would look FANTASTIC with the yellow gold. The old gold is so boring.

No, the old gold (vegas gold) is UNIQUE. Vegas gold, works, whether its Notre Dame or Colorado or Navy or Wake Forest, especially when paired with a dark primary color.

That is why it is so puzzling, that the gold pants have been kicked to the curb this regular season (except for 1 game).

I like mixing and matching the looks, but the fact that the best look the Rams have (navy jerseys/gold pants) have not been worn yet in the regular season, and we are almost to Thanksgiving, is ridiculous.

In all honestly... how the HELL does anybody switch their jerseys after winning a championship? Houston Rockets and St. Louis Rams boggle my mind.
Because the jerseys were originally supposed to be worn in '99, but the Rams missed the deadline for the change.

So, then, the thing to do is to change the plans, because the underlying circumstances have changed.

If a team wins a championship while wearing a uniform set which had originally been planned to be scrapped, then that uni set now "means" something different. This event should change the whole calculus of whether to ditch the uni.

The current dull-coloured Rams set, therefore, should rightfully have been placed alongside the snazzed-up 49ers helmet in the "planned changes not implemented" file.

Here is another example of this phenomenon that has always annoyed me: the 1985 San Diego Padres. While this team didn't win the World Series in 1984, it did capture its first NL championship in completing its most successful season ever.

That Padre uni set now no longer symbolised a hapless, floundering expansion team, the trading away of Ozzie Smith, and whatever other follies which people had associated with it before, and which no doubt had led to the decision to dump it. After 1984, the "meaning" of that uni set was the emergence of Gwynn, the arrival of Gossage and Nettles, the Garvey home run capping the first-ever comeback from 0-2 in the playoffs against the heavily-favoured Cubs, and the Bevacqua homer in the World Series.

To put it in brand-speak, a uni set gains equity with a championship season like the Rams' in 1999, or even the Padres' in 1984; and it is foolish to throw that equity away.

The fact the both of these changes dumped vibrant colour schemes that were instantly-identifable markers of these teams for muted, dull, nondescript colours only adds to the absurdity.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

That is what a football uniform should look like. Clean and classic. Why anyone would prefer the other Rams uniforms over these is beyond me.

beacause the rams are blue and gold, with exception of this brief hiccup

In all honestly... how the HELL does anybody switch their jerseys after winning a championship? Houston Rockets and St. Louis Rams boggle my mind.
Because the jerseys were originally supposed to be worn in '99, but the Rams missed the deadline for the change.

So, then, the thing to do is to change the plans, because the underlying circumstances have changed.

If a team wins a championship while wearing in a uniform set which had originally been planned to be scrapped, then that uni set now "means" something different. This event should change the whole calculus of whether to ditch the uni.

The current dull-coloured Rams set, therefore, should rightfully have been placed alongside the snazzed-up 49ers helmet in the "planned changes not implemented" file.

You fail to take into account the inherent miserliness of the Frontiere regime. Once they spent the money to make those uniforms, you can bet they were going to wear them.

Besides, I'm sure they spun it as "folks will want to buy the new merchandise; the franchise's brand is at an all time high. Even the old fans will want to upgrade. And the bandwagoners will want to buy both new and old."

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The current Rams unis would look FANTASTIC with the yellow gold. The old gold is so boring.

No, the old gold (vegas gold) is UNIQUE. Vegas gold, works, whether its Notre Dame or Colorado or Navy or Wake Forest, especially when paired with a dark primary color.

That is why it is so puzzling, that the gold pants have been kicked to the curb this regular season (except for 1 game).

I like mixing and matching the looks, but the fact that the best look the Rams have (navy jerseys/gold pants) have not been worn yet in the regular season, and we are almost to Thanksgiving, is ridiculous.

You can't call something UNIQUE and then name 4 teams that use it....

Royal Blue and Yellow are unique, because most teams are kicking these classic colors to the curb to appease the mouth breathing "black is awesome" crowd. Dull, edgy colors are not always better....ESPECIALLY when you play under the dull lights of a dome.

rams3_zps8ezugnuj.jpg

You can't call something UNIQUE and then name 4 teams that use it....

Royal Blue and Yellow are unique, because most teams are kicking these classic colors to the curb to appease the mouth breathing "black is awesome" crowd. Dull, edgy colors are not always better....ESPECIALLY when you play under the dull lights of a dome.

I was about to say...UNIQUE? Put down the pipe, folk.

New Orleans, San Francisco, St. Louis (all of which to be in the same division, no less), hell--even the Ravens and Jag-offs use it (albeit as a trim)...and that's just the NFL. College ranks? Yeah...Notre Dame and the U.S. Naval Academy BOTH use navy and vegas...just like the Rams. Real unique color combo there. Colorado and Wake Forest? BLACK and vegas...just like New Orleans.

Yeah...real unique there, pal.

[Apu from The Simpsons]THANK YOU...COME AGAIN![/Apu from The Simpsons]

P.S. I'm almost positively certain that "old gold" and "vegas gold" are NOT the same shade.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Vegas gold is unique and a better looking color, in 2008, then yellow is.

Again, anyone who thinks royal blue and yellow, look better then navy blue and vegas gold, is probably blind.

The Rams look 100 times better now, with their scheme, then they used to. Its not even close.

The reason the Rams suck, is because of the front office, coaching and players. Not the colors.

And, these colors went to the Super Bowl in their first year, only to lose because Mike Martz is an idiot.

And, these colors went to the Super Bowl in their first year, only to lose because Mike Martz is an idiot.

Second year. :censored: Az Hakim.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Again, anyone who thinks royal blue and yellow, look better then navy blue and vegas gold, is probably blind.

The Rams look 100 times better now, with their scheme, then they used to. Its not even close.

The reason the Rams suck, is because of the front office, coaching and players. Not the colors.

Hmmm... I didn't know colors changed how good they look based on the year. Is this another of your "in" things? Navy and vegas gold was dull when it debuted... now its just totally played out. You want to talk about unique? Name one pro team in any sport that is still wearing Royal and Yellow Gold. The Rams would be smart to go back to their REAL color scheme. And than you can go on being the apparently ONLY non-blind person on this board.

Hmmm... I didn't know colors changed how good they look based on the year. Is this another of your "in" things? Navy and vegas gold was dull when it debuted... now its just totally played out. You want to talk about unique? Name one pro team in any sport that is still wearing Royal and Yellow Gold. The Rams would be smart to go back to their REAL color scheme. And than you can go on being the apparently ONLY non-blind person on this board.

Well the Blues wear Royal and Yellow, but they also trim it with a ton of navy. In fact, while their colors are Blue, Gold, and Navy, it's really more of Blue, Navy, and Gold at this point. But I'm not complaining, they look great.

Whatever, though, I think it's a silly argument.

Navy and Gold and Royal and Yellow are both excellent color schemes, and the current design (striping--save those stupid white and navy pants) is quite a bit superior to the Royal and Yellow.

What's interesting about those 1964-72 Rams unis is how rarely they wore the blue jersey at all: only 18 times in 9 seasons, and that includes 7 times in 1972. The Rams hold the unofficial record of wearing the same uniforms for 47 consecutive games, as they wore their white jerseys from Week 11 of 1967 until the first game of the 1971 season! :blink:

NorthernColFightingWhites4.GIF

P.S. I'm almost positively certain that "old gold" and "vegas gold" are NOT the same shade.

When referring to "Vegas Gold", it is almost always in reference to a non-metallic, Beige. About 95% of the time, this is what I'm seeing.

"Old Gold" can sometimes refer to a non-metallic dark brownish Yellow, or - more often than not - a metallic Gold.

The Rams use a metallic Gold, as do the 49ers (same shade), and the Saints. The Jaguars use a non-metallic Gold (although they DO use a metallic Gold for their helmet decals), and the Ravens use a different blended Pantone metallic Gold.

Again, thanks for forcing your opinion on everyone else, jack.

Think what you want, I'll think what i want, and everyone can think what they want. That's what's so great about individuality.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

I think part of the problem is they play in a horribly-lit boring-ass dome. Under natural sunlight, the navy / gold looks much better than under the artificial lights of the dome. They need to tear the roof off that mother, then they'll look a'ight.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived