World Baseball Classic 2009

Breakwood

I think Canada focused too much on beating the USA, and when they lost it took everything out of them emotionally, because if they played as good as they did Saturday, when they played Italy they would have never lost.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think Canada focused too much on beating the USA, and when they lost it took everything out of them emotionally, because if they played as good as they did Saturday, when they played Italy they would have never lost.

Really they lost to USA twice.

PvO6ZWJ.png

A flat-out, utterly embarrassing performance by the boys in Red. They were thoroughly outplayed in all three phases of the game by the Italians. Kudos to them.

Canada Baseball better work hard at convincing all the M.I.A. arms to come out for 2013. A couple of middle infielders who can hit worth a lick would help too.

I can't work out the brackets on the WBC site. Every pool follows a similar path except for the pool containing USA and Canada.... why? It's confusing and I can't work it out.

The brackets work the same except the scheduling is different. That is that the winners of the first 2 games was played on the second day instead of having the day off like the other brackets. The reason for this is probably for TV, so that ESPN could air that game that probably was (and did) feature the US. Because of College basketball tournaments this week most of the the games the today and yesterday have been on MLB network in the States, which is in far less homes than ESPN.

BTW, Dominican Republic-Netherlands tied at 0 in the 9th.

WOW WHAT AN ENDING!

The Dominican Republic took the lead in the top of the 11th. Then in the bottom against Marmol the first Dutch hitter hit a double. Then he was advanced by a ground ball. Then A wild pick off thorugh advaced that runner to third. The next batter struck out and Simon was walked. Then a hit off the first basebman's glove ona 3-2 pitch scores the winning run.

The Netherlands advances to Miami, the Dominican Republic is eliminated.

Final score 2-1 in 11 innings. They beat them twice.

So did Italy really just beat Canada? Wow. This Classic is turning out to be, well, classic.

How about the nontraditionals though? Italy, Australia, and the Netherlands have made some pretty big strides since the last tournament. I'm impressed as hell.

I went to all of Italy's games in the 2006 WBC. They had a decent team back then, they beat Austrailia 10-0 and played the Dominican pretty close for a while. They were very good with the fundamentals and you could tell they could beat a good opponent if a few things went right for them. I think part of the improved success this year was playing for actual Italians as opposed to some of the minor league Italian American scrubs. Hopefully this tournament can help grow the game in Italy and Europe.

WOW WHAT AN ENDING!

The Dominican Republic took the lead in the top of the 11th. Then in the bottom against Mardol the first Dutch hitter hit a double. Then he was advanced by a ground ball. Then A wild pick off thorugh advaced that runner to third. The next batter struck out and Simon was walked. Then a hit off the first basebman's glove ona 3-2 pitch scores the winning run.

:o

No :censored:-in way. WOW. So if this was a best of 3, the Netherlands would've swept them. WOW.

I guess most of the teams with Dominican national team players on them must be happy to get their guys back...and I can imagine that the DR is PISSED right about now.

WOW WHAT AN ENDING!

The Dominican Republic took the lead in the top of the 11th. Then in the bottom against Mardol the first Dutch hitter hit a double. Then he was advanced by a ground ball. Then A wild pick off thorugh advaced that runner to third. The next batter struck out and Simon was walked. Then a hit off the first basebman's glove ona 3-2 pitch scores the winning run.

No :censored:-in way. WOW. So if this was a best of 3, the Netherlands would've swept them. WOW.

I guess most of the teams with Dominican national team players on them must be happy to get their guys back...and I can imagine that the DR is PISSED right about now.

The Netherlands is the best example of what's cool about the WBC. This game was like watching baseball's version of The US vs. USSR in hockey in 1980. There's no :censored: -ing way The DR should have lost to that team once let alone twice. It was just very cool to see those guys get that excited about winning a ball game.

BB52Big.jpg

WOW WHAT AN ENDING!

The Netherlands is the best example of what's cool about the WBC. This game was like watching baseball's version of The US vs. USSR in hockey in 1980. There's no :censored: -ing way The DR should have lost to that team once let alone twice. It was just very cool to see those guys get that excited about winning a ball game.

These games is a good example of what good pitching and defense can do. The Netherlands pitching might be young but that staff has couple of arms that look to be future solid major leaguers. Most imprtantly outside the 8th inning against PR, they threw strikes and made the hitters get themselves out. They also played good defense with the only defensive lapse of note was the mis play that lead to the only DR run tonght. Meanwhile the DR made I think 6 errors in the two games which basically scored all but 1 of the Netherlands runs against them. they also made a lot of running mistakes ithe first game they played. It shows you can't win game while making errors and mental mistakes no matter who you play.

Dutch for the WBC I doubt they'll get through Miami though. If they beat Puerto Rico they'll most likely play Venezuela and with the U.S. and Puerto Rico waiting anyways they love the small ball but it's probably not enough to get by the big bats of the U.S.

Here's how goes down

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_World_Ba...dens.2C_Florida

Scroll up for Group D

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

WOW WHAT AN ENDING!

The Dominican military is dusting off plans for invading Aruba and the Dutch Antilles as we speak.

UPDATE: Operacion Beisbol has been suspended due to lack of a (viable) amphibious assault capability.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Archived