World Baseball Classic 2009

Breakwood

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just learned something from ESPN. They flashed up a graphic about Pudge Rodriguez and on it it stated that the Florida MArlins won the 1993 World Series! That made them the first expansion team to win the whole thing in thier first season!

Holy :censored: ! A Bernie Williams sighting! I thought he has been retired the last 2 years.

Electric atmosphere at the Roger's Centre today. Especially when Philip Aumont came back to retire the side after loading the bases with 0 outs. Crazyyy....enjoy Mariners.

Side note: This was the first meaningful game played at the Skydome/RC since 1993. Been a while, I forgot how it felt.

Totally agree with TFOA... Feels like October.

Electric atmosphere at the Roger's Centre today. Especially when Philip Aumont came back to retire the side after loading the bases with 0 outs. Crazyyy....enjoy Mariners.

Side note: This was the first meaningful game played at the Skydome/RC since 1993. Been a while, I forgot how it felt.

Totally agree with TFOA... Feels like October.

I love Joey Votto on the Reds. Thank you Canada.

PvO6ZWJ.png

If Steve Phillips is the color commentator...then lmao @ Steve Phillips ether-ing the Mets. "Jimmy Rollins just showed why the Mets always miss the playoffs." Holy crap.

This has been a great game. The Canadian fans are REALLY into it, making it a great atmosphere. Feels like October in March.

Steve Phillips always rips the Mets hes a bitter bitter man over being fired for signing that fat :censored: Mo Vaughn

Dude, you're like 2 Mo Vaughns.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

If Steve Phillips is the color commentator...then lmao @ Steve Phillips ether-ing the Mets. "Jimmy Rollins just showed why the Mets always miss the playoffs." Holy crap.

This has been a great game. The Canadian fans are REALLY into it, making it a great atmosphere. Feels like October in March.

Steve Phillips always rips the Mets hes a bitter bitter man over being fired for signing that fat :censored: Mo Vaughn

Dude, you're like 2 Mo Vaughns.

Come on now.... it's more like 1-1/2 Mo Vaughans....

I saw, I came, I left.

Well I am not a professional baseball player who was paid to stay in shape, and joined the Mets and could not bend over on ground balls.

Instead, you helped pay for a professional baseball player who was paid to stay in shape, and joined the Mets and could not bend over on ground balls.

I saw, I came, I left.

The USA vs. Canada game sure was a fun one to watch. The atmosphere and intensity was such a dramatic change of gear from the spring training games I've been watching!

And Holland winning? The Miracle on The Diamond?. Holy cow! :boogie: Three hits and none of them left the infield! Talk about Small Ball. :o

HansonsSig.jpg

Click here to read Third String Goalie - The Hockey Jersey of the Day Blog

Click here to see my hockey and baseball jersey collection online

?You don?t like to see 20 kids punching 20 other kids. But it?s not a disgrace, It?s hockey.? - Michael Farber

Italy played Venezuala tough, through 5 the game was scoreless. Then Jason Grilli came into the game. Venezuala got 4 that inning and went on to shutout Italy.

US plays Venezuala tomorrow to advance to the second round. Italy moves to to play Canada in an elimination game.

just got back from toronto.

ill start off by saying this....the Canada/US game was the best atmosphere of any baseball game ive ever been to. the big difference was that it was a bunch of baseball fans who simply LOVE the game and love their countries (crowd was probably about 80/20 for canada)

the thing with jays crowds, is that 1/2 the people are just there for something to do. they know nothing about the jays or the game in general, and say "hey, how bout we go to the game tonight". with todays' WBC games, its fans who genuinely care about baseball. it was such an awesome experience, and i can only hope toronto gets another round of games in 4 years.

for the italy/venezuela game, the crowd was understandably more thin (42,000 for the early game, only 13,000 for the night tilt). But man, do Venezuelan fans come out in full force. taking out the attendees who were there with no rooting interest (like myself), it had to be a 90% crowd in favour of Venezuela. Face painting, 10' wide flags, cow bells, noisemakers and tons of chanting. simply awesome.

i love baseball. i love this tournament. and anyone who still thinks that the WBC is a farce because players shouldn't risk injury and should report to meaningless games in Florida and Arizona, would have had their minds changed if they were there today.

now.....on to italy. i think the canadians should be able to handle them easily on monday, but then again no one have the dutch a shot this morning either.

I'm looking at the Italy roster and are any of them actaully from Italy? I see guys from Pensylvania, New Yprk, Michigan, and Florida. Last time I check none of those places are remotly close to Italy.

I think that anyone of Italian heirtage is eligible for dual citzenship. Therefore many of those players may not be from Italy, but they are citizens.

Regarding the eligibility rules. I think the rules should be stricken. What Arod is doing should not be allowed. You shouldn't be allowed to play for two different teams. Also you really should be from the country you play for or at the very least your parents should be from the country. Not your grandparents.

I agree that the eligibility rules should be stricter. Once you "pick" a country, you should have to stay with it.

Correct me if i'm wrong, but didnt Mike Piazza play for Italy last time just because his grandfather was an immigrant or something? I just remember reading it and thinking it was bogus, then sure enough seeing Piazza in an Italy uniform.

Jimmy Eat World

jimmysig.jpg

realsaltlake.pngsaltlake-1.png

Back from a 13 hour shift, and can't wait for bed. The Rogers Centre was packed for the first game, and empty for the second. Though both had quite a bit of atmosphere. The Venezuelan fans came out in full force even if their team didn't. If Canada can come within a run of the US, then I feel that they could beat Venezuela, assuming that they can beat Italy, and the USA can beat Venezuela.

R  H  E
Netherlands 3 3 0
Dominican Rep. 2 8 3

R  H  E
Canada 5 7 1
USA 6 9 0

R  H  E
Panama 0 5 2
Puerto Rico 7 13 0

R  H  E
Italy 0 8 1
Venezuela 7 11 1

1zqy8ok.gif

With all of us CCSLCers at these games anyone feel like meeting up during one of the games, possibly to combine up to harass Break-Wood while he's working?

By the way I think I saw you....Did you happen to give me a tip about some people drinking on the staircase? If so they indeed had a 40 of some sort of liquor, Thanks!

But yes if anyone wants to say Hi, I work at Gate 11 all game, just ask for Patrick.

As for the tournament, the second team eliminated is China.

R  H  E
China 0 2 2
Korea 14 10 0
*Game ended after 7 innings

1zqy8ok.gif

The Oranje lead the Dominicans 3-2 in the 8th...

Quick...name a Dutch player.

It was funny that Andruw Jones played for the Dutch in 2006....

From what I remember hearing last WBC the Dutch have a pretty strong pro league.

From what I understand, Italy and the Netherlands are the "powerhouses" of European baseball. They have the best leagues and always seem to face each other for the European Cup. Which is why I'm surprised the Italians don't use more of there own league players. I'm glad to see that Dallospedale, Chiarini, Mazzanti were all in the starting lineup last night. I don't think they started a single Italian league player during the last WBC.

I wonder if the Netherlands win made headlines in Amsterdam, yet?

I checked a Dutch newspaper yesterday and honkbal (baseball) was on the home page. Baseball isn't all too popular in the Netherlands, so it's a pretty big deal. I really hope the Dutch and Europeans begin to embrace baseball.

In regards to European baseball, BaltimoreFan is right. Spain and Germany are also known for having "good" teams, but definitely not on par with the Netherlands.

Tampa Bay Everybody Loves Rays

Go 'Nova | Go Irish

Archived