49ers are officially changing unis next season

In 5..4..3..2..1

It's not that they look horribly bad, but if I was grading them on effort, they'd get an F.

Which is my opinion exactly.

And of course, they refused to rectify my #1 pet peeve for NFL uniforms: :evil: GREY FACEMASK :evil:

It's like they really don't get it: Teams didn't wear grey facemasks because it looked good, they wore it because THAT'S ALL THEY HAD. This is 2009, there are more colors that can go on the facemask than grey. It just screams laziness to me.

It's better than what the Jaguars did, but come on.

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks good to me. You guys seem to want them to put undue energy and effort into something that doesn't need it. That's how mistakes are made (see: Lions, Jaguars)

It looks good.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

I feel like I can't really make a judgment on this set until I actually see it on shoulder pads and players walking around in them. But I was HOPING for them to go back to the 80s scarlet red and not keep the current color.

But to say that these are just old Arizona home jerseys and Giants road jerseys is lazy. These jerseys tend to look a lot different sandwiched between a gold helmet and gold pants.

Add a state of Arizona patch and you've got the Cardinals' old jerseys!
You'd be missing the two Blue stripes on the Cardinals' old jerseys however.

I can't help but see a little bit of the Arizona flag in those sleeve stripes.

666koy.png

p5898976dt.jpg

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

I watched some of the feed on the Niners site unvieling the unis, it's hard to tell on the postage stamp screen but it seems the sleeve stripes look far better on the players than they do on the replicas. I think it's an attempt to make the stripes work on non-existant sleeves, like was said before.

Also doesn't look like anything earth shattering. I didn't see red belts like in the Madden screenshot though.

500newuni.jpg

from http://www.49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=5258

After months of speculation, the San Francisco 49ers revealed brand new uniforms as the main attraction of the team’s annual Draft day party at the Santa Clara Convention Center.

The five-time Super Bowl Champions introduced new threads with a number of aesthetic enhancements that modernize the popular look from the 49ers storied past, with the return of the signature color of the franchise, 49ers Red.

“The new uniforms represent the 49ers in a manner that allows us to connect with our past, but also keep an eye on our future,” team President Jed York said. “Our decision to change the uniform is just another opportunity to show our fans that we are always striving to improve our team, in every way possible.”

For the fans and media in attendance at the party, plus others watching via webcast on 49ers.com, the event hosted by team radio broadcasters Ted Robinson and Gary Plummer, included Pro Bowl linebacker Patrick Willis, Josh Morgan, Joe Staley, Dashon Goldson and Moran Norris modeling the uniforms.

Alumni players Keena Turner, Eric Davis, Tom Rathman, Jesse Sapolu, and Jamie Williams were also on hand wearing their jerseys in the new design.

Besides reintroducing the classic color of the 49ers, the uniform also brings back the grey facemask to the helmet, which was a part of the throwback uniforms from recent seasons.

“What we wanted to do was try to go in and make changes to our uniform that will allow us to evolve it to what the players in the NFL look for today with some of the designs and performance-enabling features they have created,” 49ers Vice President of Marketing, Michael Williams said.

The elements from the past make the look of the uniform appear classy, clean, and professional. The redesign also stresses where the 49ers organization is headed.

“I think the new jerseys are awesome,” starting left tackle Joe Staley said. “I really like the change. I think going back to our old uniforms is great for the tradition of the 49ers franchise. Getting back to our winning ways in our red uniforms – we’re all really excited about it.”

Turner, the 49ers Vice President of Football Affairs took part in redesigning of the uniform and has been pleased with the changes throughout the process.

“It’s exciting for me to see us going back to the future in a sense and seeing the original red and how the uniforms will take on a flavor of the past,” Turner said. “I think wearing any uniform, there’s a sense of pride. You wear that uniform it stands for what it represents as well as what you do in it. I think the guys would be proud to wear this modern version of it. I think there’s a sense of pride for those guys to see it represented again in an old but new fashion.”

Besides current and former players having input on the changes to the uniform, fans were also involved in the redesign process by serving as panel members in multiple confidential focus groups.

“Our fans are as much a part of the history of our team as the players and coaches who battle on the field,” said York. “That’s why we felt it was necessary to involve them from the beginning of this process in various forums. It’s a way to reconnect our fans to the rich history of this organization.”

Some of the significant changes include: the addition of the 49ers ligature on the chest of the uniform, the thinning out of the red and white stripes on the pants, the grey face-mask, changes to the functionality of the uniform, returning the traditional three-striped sleeves, and the numbers of the players being located on the shoulder pads.

The lower cut neckline is a new feature and. the 49ers will be the first NFL team to make the uniforms available to be purchased. They’re available at shop49ers.com with the first replica jersey with the same cut line available for fans.

I watched some of the feed on the Niners site unvieling the unis, it's hard to tell on the postage stamp screen but it seems the sleeve stripes look far better on the players than they do on the replicas. I think it's an attempt to make the stripes work on non-existant sleeves, like was said before.

Also doesn't look like anything earth shattering. I didn't see red belts like in the Madden screenshot though.

The 2010 Madden for Wii screenshot have the wrong pants color.... The uniform on the 49ers unveiling looks like an odd mix of the colors of 1996-2008 and the design of the 1964-95.togs. Certain differences of course such as the tweaks (shoulder pad numbers, narrower stripes). The buff/beige no longer exists but replaced with a different shade of a lighter yellowish-gold (Crumpacker was wrong - no buff pants). The red is not Cherry Red but in between that and cardinal red.... This is definitely not a throwback uniform or the uniform of the past year - but a compromise of the two. If they want to do that - they might as well keep last year's uniform. Colorwerx was correct. The only comparison I can make to this new look is way back in 1958 when the 49ers had actual cherry red jerseys and a gold not beige pants look.

500newuni.jpg

from http://www.49ers.com/pressbox/news_detail.php?PRKey=5258

After months of speculation, the San Francisco 49ers revealed brand new uniforms as the main attraction of the team?s annual Draft day party at the Santa Clara Convention Center.

The five-time Super Bowl Champions introduced new threads with a number of aesthetic enhancements that modernize the popular look from the 49ers storied past, with the return of the signature color of the franchise, 49ers Red.

?The new uniforms represent the 49ers in a manner that allows us to connect with our past, but also keep an eye on our future,? team President Jed York said. ?Our decision to change the uniform is just another opportunity to show our fans that we are always striving to improve our team, in every way possible.?

For the fans and media in attendance at the party, plus others watching via webcast on 49ers.com, the event hosted by team radio broadcasters Ted Robinson and Gary Plummer, included Pro Bowl linebacker Patrick Willis, Josh Morgan, Joe Staley, Dashon Goldson and Moran Norris modeling the uniforms.

Alumni players Keena Turner, Eric Davis, Tom Rathman, Jesse Sapolu, and Jamie Williams were also on hand wearing their jerseys in the new design.

Besides reintroducing the classic color of the 49ers, the uniform also brings back the grey facemask to the helmet, which was a part of the throwback uniforms from recent seasons.

?What we wanted to do was try to go in and make changes to our uniform that will allow us to evolve it to what the players in the NFL look for today with some of the designs and performance-enabling features they have created,? 49ers Vice President of Marketing, Michael Williams said.

The elements from the past make the look of the uniform appear classy, clean, and professional. The redesign also stresses where the 49ers organization is headed.

?I think the new jerseys are awesome,? starting left tackle Joe Staley said. ?I really like the change. I think going back to our old uniforms is great for the tradition of the 49ers franchise. Getting back to our winning ways in our red uniforms ? we?re all really excited about it.?

Turner, the 49ers Vice President of Football Affairs took part in redesigning of the uniform and has been pleased with the changes throughout the process.

?It?s exciting for me to see us going back to the future in a sense and seeing the original red and how the uniforms will take on a flavor of the past,? Turner said. ?I think wearing any uniform, there?s a sense of pride. You wear that uniform it stands for what it represents as well as what you do in it. I think the guys would be proud to wear this modern version of it. I think there?s a sense of pride for those guys to see it represented again in an old but new fashion.?

Besides current and former players having input on the changes to the uniform, fans were also involved in the redesign process by serving as panel members in multiple confidential focus groups.

?Our fans are as much a part of the history of our team as the players and coaches who battle on the field,? said York. ?That?s why we felt it was necessary to involve them from the beginning of this process in various forums. It?s a way to reconnect our fans to the rich history of this organization.?

Some of the significant changes include: the addition of the 49ers ligature on the chest of the uniform, the thinning out of the red and white stripes on the pants, the grey face-mask, changes to the functionality of the uniform, returning the traditional three-striped sleeves, and the numbers of the players being located on the shoulder pads.

The lower cut neckline is a new feature and. the 49ers will be the first NFL team to make the uniforms available to be purchased. They?re available at shop49ers.com with the first replica jersey with the same cut line available for fans.

If you make that helmet and numbers darker red... you have USC - might as well draft Mark Sanchez.

You can add a gray facemask for no reason whatsoever, but you'd better not even think about ever adding black trim!

This. Gray facemasks look worse than any other color 98% of the time

I hinted at this a while back - I really wish that there was a way to make a facemask color that matched a metallic shell. So, the Niners could have metallic Gold masks instead of these stupid Gray things. Just match the helmet.

I also mentioned that I was going to go through the history of the 49ers' colors over the years - I plan on posting a subject on this on my blog in the next day or so. I'll show all of the different Reds they've used, the different Golds, and my theory why they ended up going with Gold helmets and Beige pants in the '80s and '90s.

You can add a gray facemask for no reason whatsoever, but you'd better not even think about ever adding black trim!

This. Gray facemasks look worse than any other color 98% of the time

I hinted at this a while back - I really wish that there was a way to make a facemask color that matched a metallic shell. So, the Niners could have metallic Gold masks instead of these stupid Gray things. Just match the helmet.

I also mentioned that I was going to go through the history of the 49ers' colors over the years - I plan on posting a subject on this on my blog in the next day or so. I'll show all of the different Reds they've used, the different Golds, and my theory why they ended up going with Gold helmets and Beige pants in the '80s and '90s.

Colorwerx: The shade of gold pants on these new uniforms are paler and lighter than the ones they are replacing. Definitely not the beige of the 80s and 90s... They are a lot shinier and less brown/tan. It could be the lighting that may be affecting the color -but the shade does look lighter. Also listened to the local radio and they said it was the same.... To me it's a compromise between the classic uniform set 1964-1995 and the previous uniform set of 1996-2008 - since they used a focus group and the players to help design the new set.

Archived