49ers are officially changing unis next season

In 5..4..3..2..1

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why are the sleeve stripes at an angle?

I wonder if thats something to do with the Linesmans jerseys and the difficulty of sleeve stripes on those, and a desire for everyone to be wearing exactly the same uniform?

Overall I am quite liking the 49ers jersey, even with the odd sleeve stripes. (Incidentally, I navigated away from the link and couldn't find my way back at all with backpaging! Seems like the 49ers would still like these to be quiet!)

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

It's not just the sleeve stripes (which look ridiculous), but look at the collar on the replica. It's got some kind of half collar thing going on. The one thing I liked about replica jerseys is how the sleeve stripes always go all the way around. Just cutting them off for no reason doesn't make any sense.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Also, not a fan of the team name on the jersey. NFL teams should have enough of a distinctive identity that you don't need the team name on the front to recognize their jerseys. It is America's most popular sport, so most casual fans should be able to name the team just glancing at the jersey. Obviously some colleges mimic pro jerseys, but colleges often put their school's name on the jersey. Agreed about the stripes. Hopefully in action, they won't look like zebra stripes, but I doubt it.

savedpictures013-1.jpg

Also, not a fan of the team name on the jersey. NFL teams should have enough of a distinctive identity that you don't need the team name on the front to recognize their jerseys. It is America's most popular sport, so most casual fans should be able to name the team just glancing at the jersey. Obviously some colleges mimic pro jerseys, but colleges often put their school's name on the jersey. Agreed about the stripes. Hopefully in action, they won't look like zebra stripes, but I doubt it.

The purpose of the team name, especially in the case where there are no other logos on the sleeves, is to put some kind of trademarked mark on the jersey, so that every red jersey with white numbers isn't a de-facto 49ers replica. It also makes it tougher on counterfeiters.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Colorwerx is correct... They aren't the so-called "championship colors." The red jersey is either a lighter cardinal color or burgundy (Redskins). Andy Dolich's statement was pure BS (Doesn't any football official lie or spin). It's actually a shade between the 80's and the jersey of 1996-2008.

Colorwerx is correct... They aren't the so-called "championship colors." The red jersey is either a lighter cardinal color or burgundy (Redskins). Andy Dolich's statement was pure BS (Doesn't any football official lie or spin). It's actually a shade between the 80's and the jersey of 1996-2008.

I forgot one other color - "maroon." The 49ers in "maroon?" The Dolich statement was pure "moron."

You can add a gray facemask for no reason whatsoever, but you'd better not even think about ever adding black trim!

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Um, excuse me, sir, your stripes seem to be falling off your sleeves. Could you please pick those up?

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I like 'em. They managed to take a very old-school striping pattern and both make it unique to the team and make it applicable to modern jersey cuts.

Also, I'm not usually a fan of wordmarks under the collar, but I like it this case. The new 49ers wordmark in a solid one colour scheme looks pretty bold.

I'm a fan of the jerseys, and I don't think we'll see any surprises with the pants. I'm just worried that they'll add a grey facemask. The stripes are a new twist on an old design, and I'm guess that logo will follow suite (being a recolour of the modernized version). A grey facemask will just look out of place. Personally I think a white facemask will look fantastic with this new set.

Archived