49ers are officially changing unis next season

In 5..4..3..2..1

As an aside... is anyone else tired of "pop"?

Only when Northeners mistakenly believe that it's an acceptable alternative to soda.

Actually, pop is pretty much the only thing to call pop. Why do southerners call all pop "coke", whatever brand it is?

Well, Soda is the only legitimate option.

Soda or Soda-Pop if you want to be full and fancy.

Take a look at a few labels sometime and give me the tally of how many call themselves Soda vs. how many call themselves Pop. It might be a limited sample size because plenty won't say anything, but I'll bet that of those that do you'll find a strong tendency.

• Replies 644
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone have a good pic of the pants of the 49ers? Maybe I'm just missing something but I haven't seen the side view/striping. Are they tapered like the arms?

SanFrancisco49ers_HUN_2009-9999_SOL.png

Thank you. It may just be the angle, but it appears that the 3 stripes taper more on the replica jersey.

Does anyone have a good pic of the pants of the 49ers? Maybe I'm just missing something but I haven't seen the side view/striping. Are they tapered like the arms?

SanFrancisco49ers_HUN_2009-9999_SOL.png

Thank you. It may just be the angle, but it appears that the 3 stripes taper more on the replica jersey.

I love how "my" graphic is missing the left (player's left) shoulder number.

It's like that in the official graphics.

the cut of the jersey and the way the sleeve stripes show looks terrible!! there will be no consistency to the uniform. and the grey facemask just makes it look outdated. I think a red facemask would have made this set look better. terrible uniform update!!

Because people in the south are awesome. Really, though, it's probably because coca cola is based in the south.

More than its location in the South is Coke's dominance in marketing that leads to top of mind awareness. Other examples that aren't so strongly associated with one region are Kleenex and Band-Aid.

And if you want a really amusing term for sodas, find an old Southerner who calls it "dope."

And the more I look at the 49ers uniforms, the more I find to hate. The newer logo looks like :censored: on the old-style helmet. The sleeve stripes look even dumber than they did with a big logo stuck in the middle of them. I'm also slowly remembering how much I loathe the 49ers "classic" colors. That bright a red paired with gold is just obnoxious.

Call me careless, but I think the sleeve stripes look perfectly fine. Sure they're unconventional, but sometimes change is a good thing. We all know full length sleeves are a thing of the past. This is just the Niners adapting to this change.

You know something, the more I see the 49ers new look the more I like it! I know its an unfashionable comment around here, but I really do like that gray facemask, or at least I don't hate it, I think its a real '49er' shade of red, and the sleeve stripes make sense when they are being worn with pads.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Gray facemasks on a helmet like the Niners have looks fantastic. That gold facemask would look, in my opinion, awful. I never liked the red facemask, and don't even mention a black facemask.

With many of the older franchises, Gray facemasks look better than most anything else.

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

As a fan of last year's set, I like that the beige wasn't brought back and the pant striping is normal width. These were the two most irritating elements from the championship set. Whether the sleeve striping doesn't wrap around or the sleeve stripe is cut off as with the Niners, old style sleeve striping shouldn't be used. The gray facemask looks OK to me for the Niners.

As disappointing as I am that they went retro, enough was fixed to make it OK.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

3281_1136071155238_1031118291_40585.jpg3281_1135760107462_1031118291_40476.jpg

I'm still very puzzled about why they wouldn't just move the sleeve stripes up a bit so they wouldn't get cut off. There is plenty of room for them. I guess it's just going to bother me until their next uniform update.

Yeah that or rather than the lines angling down and being forced to get cut off by the arm hole angle the lines UP then that way the can run parallel to the cuff and all appear on there? Sure they wont be horizontal anymore but surely that makes more sense than cutting them off?

With that said there are plenty of worse things they could have done so i'm not gonna cry about it.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

From the waist down, that's an acceptable uniform set. From the waist up, it's a sartorial nap, although I suppose some praise is due them for not designing their own custom number font. My final grade: D.

Ok, really, I don't get the hate for the sleeve stripes.

They managed to take a very tradition, dare I say generic, striping pattern and do two positive things with this slight change; they made the generic pattern unique to the team, and they adjusted the striping pattern to accommodate modern jersey cuts. Good for the 49ers. It's an awesome move.

From the neck down, and even for most of the head, I love this update. The collars, sleeve striping, and wordmark all allow the new jerseys to be uniquely 49ers. No one will confuse these with Nebraska. The pants and socks are fine, and most of the helmet is fine as well (the pants and helmet stripes now match). I'm very happy they're using a recoloured version of the updated logo and didn't go back to the dated Montana era version.

All in all, as someone who thought the last uniform set was near perfect, I have to say the 49ers really impressed me for the most part, and for the most part I say upgrade.

For the most part.....

GREY FACEMASKS khaaan.gif

They really bother me here. If a team's going true throwback, then sure, use them to complete the effect. With the 49ers, however, they aren't going true throwback. Everything, from the jersey striping to the jersey cut/template to the wordmark under the collar to the helmet logo says "classic, but modern." The grey facemask clashes with the overall look.

White would have looked so much better.

I'm still very puzzled about why they wouldn't just move the sleeve stripes up a bit so they wouldn't get cut off. There is plenty of room for them. I guess it's just going to bother me until their next uniform update.

My Thought on that is that it's like the ripped jeans fad. It started out unintentionally, and the rips just happened over time, but then people came along and said "Hey, why not prefabricate the deformities?", so they're designed to look faulty. However, I do like the sleeve stripes. It's a nice way to throw a slight curveball into a traditional design without being too crazy. (but I do hate pre-ripped jeans)

spacer.png

Archived