Slap Shot remake

tj4eck

'Slap Shot' remake planned

Wednesday, 02.04.2009 / 12:35 PM / News

NHL.com

There have been sequels to "Slap Shot" the legendary hockey movie that starred the late Paul Newman and the film that created the Hanson Brothers sensation, but no remake.

According to Daily Variety, that is about to change.

Variety reports Universal Pictures is ready to drop the puck on a "Slap Shot" remake, selecting Dean Parisot to direct the redo of the 1977 hockey comedy classic.

Peter Steinfeld ("21") is writing the script and Kathleen Kennedy and Frank Marshall will produce according to the publication.

The original starred Newman as the fading player/coach of a minor league hockey team. Trying to hype the Charlestown Chiefs of the Federal League for a possible move South, the coach ramps up interest by turning his team into a group of brawlers.

When Steinfeld took the writing job and spoke about it last summer, Internet pundits were critical of the notion of updating a favorite sports film. Yet such nostalgic resistance certainly did not hurt "The Longest Yard" remake, a global hit that grossed far more than the original.

Parisot last directed the remake of another comedy "Fun With Dick and Jane."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know the people on this board love this movie so lets hear those thoughts.

RaysHat.giforegonsig.gifDevilRaysRetroHat2.gif

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paul Newman is spinning in his grave.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I understand that the first one was great, but why such the apathy? I mean, if no uniform or logo is perfect, why would a movie be? Besides, it's not like the original ideas that have come out recently have been amazing either.

Using your uniform analogy, allow me to give you some examples. The Buffalo Bills. The Cincinnati Bengals. The Toronto Blue Jays and any other uniform change that ended up being a lot worse than the one before it.

BB52Big.jpg

Parisot last directed the remake of another comedy "Fun With Dick and Jane."

That should be enough for Universal, or ANY film company for that matter, to not give money for another Slap Shot.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

They did remake it. It was called "Slap Shot 2" and had one of the lesser-talented Baldwin brothers in it.

That's what I was thinking -- I was sure there were a couple of awful sequels or two to that movie. And unlike the Bad News Bears franchise (which had one very good and one terrible sequel), the Slap Shot sequel(s?) wasn't shot anytime close to the original.

They'll do it, and much like the Billy Bob Thornton Bad News Bears remake, no one will care.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Any speculation on who will star in the remake? I don't know about you but a movie like this just screams "Adam Sandler" to me. It wouldn't be the first sports movie (Happy Gilmore) or even the first sports movie remake (The Longest Yard) he's done.

CCSLC signature.png

Any speculation on who will star in the remake? I don't know about you but a movie like this just screams "Adam Sandler" to me. It wouldn't be the first sports movie (Happy Gilmore) or even the first sports movie remake (The Longest Yard) he's done.

I've heard rumblings of Steve Carrell and Mike Myers, both said they'd be interested in an interview I read in Entertainment magazine a while back.

Hi, how are you?

As much as I like Slap Shot, I don't see a problem with a remake. The cult classic is far from perfect. All remakes are a gamble and trying to recreate the chemistry the original cast had will be tricky. And if Sandler is involved at all, it is sure to suck.

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

I've heard rumblings of Steve Carrell and Mike Myers, both said they'd be interested in an interview I read in Entertainment magazine a while back.

I don't see Carrell or Myers being able to pull of Newman's character, maybe Vince Vaughn. What about the Hansen brothers? are they gonna recast them or have the original Hansen brothers who are around 50 now play them? I think a Kevin Smith directed Slap Shot remake would be great, this other guy I have no faith in.

I don't see Carrell or Myers being able to pull of Newman's character, maybe Vince Vaughn. What about the Hansen brothers? are they gonna recast them or have the original Hansen brothers who are around 50 now play them? I think a Kevin Smith directed Slap Shot remake would be great, this other guy I have no faith in.

Vince Vaughn would be interesting. Carell and Myers, I think, would indicate the movie will be too slapsticky and gimmicky. Vaughn could pull off a version of what made Newman's character so great. Dry, kinda scumbaggish, and self-aware.

Maybe in the remake, there won't be an entire hour where absolutely nothing happens.

-applause-

I see no objection to the remake. Slap Shot was a good movie, but it isn't one of those untouchable classics, IMO.

I don't have a huge problem with a Slap Shot remake, but I have a feeling it'll be a Longest Yard redux...

Although, the Vince Vaughn idea (if that could be pulled off) would be a great first step in my opinion. They would have to make him a bit older I'd think.

I can't think of any older actors that could do a comedy and work it... Steve Martin, but he's just as gimmicky as Carrell or Myers (who I both love... except the Love Guru trash). Gimmicky isnt bad but its not Slap Shot.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Archived