"Shaq Vs."

nyk

Shaq to test skills in other sports

ESPN.com

Maybe Shaquille O'Neal's new nickname should be the Big Experimenter.

In a new ABC reality television series that begins filming this week, Shaq will take on other top athletes in their own sports.

"Shaq Vs.", which is set to premiere Aug. 18 at 9 p.m. ET, begins filming Wednesday in Pittsburgh, where Shaq will take on Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger in football.

Future episodes of the hour-long show will feature Shaq against Olympic swimming sensation Michael Phelps, boxing legend Oscar De La Hoya, St. Louis Cardinals slugger Albert Pujols, tennis star Serena Williams and beach volleyball Olympians Misty May-Treanor and Kerri Walsh.

Shaq told USA Today that he came up with the idea as a way to train for the NBA season. Shaq figured Americans "would really want to see an athlete play another sport," according to the newspaper. The Cleveland Cavaliers, Shaq's new team, have cleared the 37-year-old O'Neal to take part in the show.

He is scheduled to report for the Cavs' opening of training camp on Sept. 15.

According to USA Today, the episodes will feature preliminary challenges, news conferences, quality time with needy kids and negotiations of a handicap between Shaq and his competitors. Each episode will climax with a main event.

There's no cash prize for the winner. "Bragging rights are always better than any monetary prize," O'Neal told USA Today.

And the Cavs didn't say no to this why? Shouldn't the basic language of his contract forbid it?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

The part I loved about the first couple of seasons of Pros vs. Joes on Spike was seeing athletes trying new sports and moving out of their comfort zones, like Kevin Greene competing in swimming, so I wholeheartedly approve of this idea.

I'm sure Shaq's not doing anything too strenuous, so the Cavs shouldn't have a huge problem with it. Heck, most of it was probably shot before he was traded to Cleveland. At least he's not stepping into a mixed martial arts cage and trying to fight Brock Lesnar or Chuck Liddell -- something I recall him musing about in the past.

Sorry, I have no interest in a 30 minute informercial about how great Shaq thinks he is.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Β 

It's official: Shaq has jumped the shark.

Then what do you consider, "Kazzam"?

Or his short lived rap career... or better yet, what would you consider 'Shaq Fu'?

Β 

It's official: Shaq has jumped the shark.

Then what do you consider, "Kazzam"?

Or his short lived rap career... or better yet, what would you consider 'Shaq Fu'?

I kind of liked him on the Fu Schnickens (sp?) album, and his song "I know I gots skillz" was a'ight.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The ONLY Shaq rap I can stomach is "You Can't Stop the Reign" featuring Notorious B.I.G. Shaq had to step up his lyrical game to not get absolutely destroyed on his own track by Biggie. Of course, Biggie still dominated Shaq, but it wasn't like one would otherwise expect.

Can't stop, won't stop. (What?) Can't stop, won't stop. (What?) Can't stop, won't stop. (What?) Can't stop, won't stop. (What?)

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Β 

great now Shaq think's he's an athlete

Uhhh, he is an athlete. Last I checked playing a sport make you an athlete.

John Kruk was not an athlete. Playing sports != being athletic.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived