2009 NCAA Football Thread

BJBerthiaume

Why wouldn't the Orange Bowl take Cincy? Don't they have to?

The Big East champion does not have a bowl tie in. Will is assuming that Cincy is considered the least "desirable" team for a BCS Bowl due to fanbase and alumni size, and concludes they will be the kid who gets picked last when assigning bowl bids.

TCU is the least "desirable" team to the bowls, the school has around 8,000 students and a small alumni base compared to almost 40,000 students at Cincy. The Orange Bowl will pass over Cincy because the Bearcats played there last year.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pac-10, Oregon reinstates RB LeGarrette Blount.

Good for everyone invloved. Blount might be a hot-head, but he was also instigated by that Boise State player and their fans.

Totally agree. Going after the fans is what did him in. I may be in the minority here but I think the Boise State player got what he deserved. It wasn't the best display of sportsmanship on Blount's part but given the circumstances I can't really blame him for decking the guy. To paraphrase Chris Rock "I don't condone it, but I understand."

BB52Big.jpg

Good for everyone invloved. Blount might be a hot-head, but he was also instigated by that Boise State player and their fans.

Totally agree. Going after the fans is what did him in. I may be in the minority here but I think the Boise State player got what he deserved. It wasn't the best display of sportsmanship on Blount's part but given the circumstances I can't really blame him for decking the guy. To paraphrase Chris Rock "I don't condone it, but I understand."

Sadly, this will be seen as a move to save a BCS bid from non-NCAA football watchers. He did serve much more time than Spikes, who needed to serve more.

Sadly, this will be seen as a move to save a BCS bid from non-NCAA football watchers. He did serve much more time than Spikes, who needed to serve more.
I'm not so sure about that, given the bid Oregon would be taking away won't be Boise State's - it's Arizona's as we speak.

LvZYtbZ.png

Pac-10, Oregon reinstates RB LeGarrette Blount.http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=reply_post&f=8&t=68032&qpid=1249366

I'm not so sure about that, given the bid Oregon would be taking away won't be Boise State's - it's Arizona's as we speak.

So a Best-less Berkeley team is a win for you thought, but 'zona still has three games with Oregon, @ASU, and @USC is a list which you think they can run the table??? Wow. Arizona can clinch its first-ever Rose Bowl berth by beating the Ducks, winning at USC on Dec. 5, and splitting road games against California and Arizona State. That still sounds harder to do than it seems.

Interesting that New Mexico's Women's soccer coach has more balls than Chip Kelly when he indefinitely suspended the player who punched kicked and pulled an opponent down by the hair and yet Chip Kelly has no balls to keep Blount suspended. Great, more football players getting the royal treatment. Just goes inline with the Florida player who had to suspend himself from a game against Vandy, because his coach had no balls to do it. Let me think, if that was Alabama, by what Urban Myer has shown that there would have been no suspension at all.

If they aren't watching NCAA Football then what would they know about BCS bids? Just saying.

BB52Big.jpg

Interesting that New Mexico's Women's soccer coach has more balls than Chip Kelly when he indefinitely suspended the player who punched kicked and pulled an opponent down by the hair and yet Chip Kelly has no balls to keep Blount suspended. Great, more football players getting the royal treatment. Just goes inline with the Florida player who had to suspend himself from a game against Vandy, because his coach had no balls to do it. Let me think, if that was Alabama, by what Urban Myer has shown that there would have been no suspension at all.

Hi, welcome to how the world functioned before pervasive social media and 24 hour "entermedia" channels that needed to justify the airtime. The suspension for Blount was overkill, as was the media frenzy over Spikes.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Pac-10, Oregon reinstates RB LeGarrette Blount.http://boards.sportslogos.net/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=reply_post&f=8&t=68032&qpid=1249366

So a Best-less Berkeley team is a win for you thought, but 'zona still has three games with Oregon, @ASU, and @USC is a list which you think they can run the table??? Wow. Arizona can clinch its first-ever Rose Bowl berth by beating the Ducks, winning at USC on Dec. 5, and splitting road games against California and Arizona State. That still sounds harder to do than it seems.
What I meant by this is that I think that Oregon will not be able to collect an at-large bid, that they are more likely to take the conference champion bid.

LvZYtbZ.png

Hi, welcome to how the world functioned before pervasive social media and 24 hour "entermedia" channels that needed to justify the airtime. The suspension for Blount was overkill, as was the media frenzy over Spikes.

I don't know that it was overkill, but taken at face value that he had to clear many academic and behavioral hurdles or whatever, then I have no problem giving him another shot. He damaged his draft status, lost his starting role and will continue to pay. But there is something to be said for him sticking around, going to class, going to practice, supporting a team he may never get to play for, and behaving. Any problem would have ended his chance to play again. Hopefully this lesson (and some anger management that I hope was part of the deal) will make him a better person.

And I give Oregon's coach a lot of credit. With the Ducks playing so well, I figured they'd not do this...because they don't seem to need him. He suspended him when it looked like it would hurt the team and now he's reinstating him when his help will be marginal (IF he's not a distraction that hurts them). I think he did the things he thought was right and I don't wish to question that he's right to give the guy a shot.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Well...if anyone was ever curious as to Mack Brown's stance on "non-BCS" schools, let me help:

He basically thinks it to be unfair for non-BCS teams to play in BCS bowl games. Hmmm...

(And is it just me, or does anyone else get the feeling Mack Brown might/could also double as a politician?)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Well...if anyone was ever curious as to Mack Brown's stance on "non-BCS" schools, let me help:

He basically thinks it to be unfair for non-BCS teams to play in BCS bowl games. Hmmm...

(And is it just me, or does anyone else get the feeling Mack Brown might/could also double as a politician?)

Mack Brown transformed campaigning for a BCS Bowl bid into an art form.

So yes, he could very well double as a pol.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Okay I'm glad it wasn't just me.

I still have in my mind the relatively fuzzy yet very vivid memory a few years back of Texas being like #11 or something like that in the polls...or maybe they were #5. Either way...this guy went on an all-out media blitzkrieg to "schmooze" the voters into voting Texas higher in the polls. The next week, there the 'Horns were...at the top of the rankings.

This from a guy who just a few weeks ago made the comment that "we don't have time to worry about polls".

Note to all media hacks: men speaking while using a joined thumbtip and index fingertip to accentuate their points are usually either full of it or speaking just to hear themselves talk.

(And the cynic in me still questions the real motive behind the trip this guy just took to the Middle East.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

If Sports Center has to take his quotes and translate it for the stupider folks like if he was a Senator from Iowa on CNN, yes i'd say he'd be a perfect politician

I heard the whole statement and Herbstreit clearly took the quote out of context. ESPN offered a retraction and an apology on last night's Sportscenter. The Statesman article from today:

http://www.statesman.com/blogs/content/shared-gen/blogs/austin/bohls/entries/2009/11/11/mack_defuses_wr.html

I know my avatar will brand me a homer, but I know what I heard and I know what was quoted. Two different things. Mack can be a politician at times, but I disagree he is on this occasion.

newsig.jpg

After reading that, it appears I may have heard Mack Brown wrong during the short video clip I saw in regards to this most recent topic. (I have no clue what Herbstreit said or took out of it...I caught Mack's clip on another channel. Though...I can only imagine how "the network" might have spun Mack's words.)

None of that, though, changes my viewpoint that Mack could very well moonlight as a politician...if he already isn't one.

If I'm South Florida, I may strongly consider abandoning Thursday Night games. No good comes from them.

Today, we are all otaku.

Almost missed this...

3 Tennessee Volunteers arrested in hilariously stupid burglary.

I don't know what's funnier. The weapon of choice? Pellet Gun. The scene of the crime? A business owned by a prominent Tennessee booster. The getaway car? A :censored: ing Prius

I cannot take credit for this line, but...You'd have more street cred if you used a golf cart.

Today, we are all otaku.

I don't know what's funnier. The weapon of choice? Pellet Gun. The scene of the crime? A business owned by a prominent Tennessee booster. The getaway car? A :censored: ing Prius

That for me, was the funniest part of the whole thing. I know, robbery with a weapon is a serious crime...but come on. Pellet gun + robbing a business owned by a big booster + Prius = candidate for funniest football arrest ever. Then they were wearing their adidas stuff that the team issued them. Aw man, some real geniuses we've got here.

Then one of the victims basically says "It's cool, I still want them to play football. Vols will be Vols."

?I think they should still be able to play football, regardless,? he said. ?Tennessee is my place. It?s my football team.?

?Even after they put a gun in your face, you say let them play football?? 6 News asked.

?Yeah, it?s Tennessee. That?s the way it is sometimes,? Zickefoose said.

This whole thing is a mess. A hilariously bad mess.

Archived