2009 NCAA Football Thread

BJBerthiaume

With RichRod "chasing points" at questionable times (AGAIN) and the early success Harbaugh is having at The Farm today, someone may have coached himself into a job, and someone out. now, Jim should not expect a restroom next to his office at Schembechler Hall if it not already there.

I agree with this. The game against Oregon may have opened the door for Harbaugh to go back to where he was QB in college and take Michigan to the promised land hopefully. I for one would want RichRod fired this year if he does get another losing season(sorry 5-7 doesn't cut it for me) and loses to Ohio State

Full disclosure. I am a UM class of 1995, but I did not like the thought of Carr as Moeller's successor. Granted, I grew up in Florida, so I was used to that over the Big 10 love and the Rose Bowl being what you look for as a team. I wanted RichRod, as a #1, but I really wanted Mike Riley as the coach as not only does he get talent, he makes NFL talent and the old system would need less a change.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Someone forgot to tell Oregon that playing Stanford on their home field is actually dangerous to their Pac-10 title hopes.

Let's see: someone knocking off USC then getting whipped by Stanford... Why do I have that dreaded feeling of deja vu?

What else can I think of...

-TCU looks good again. Anyone want to take a chance on saying Boise State is the better Non-BCS school here?

-Georgia Tech squeaks by against Wake Forest. Couple this with Duke's loss to rival UNC and the Yellow Jackets have a chance to nail down the Coastal next week.

-Does anyone, and I do mean ANYONE, want to win the Big 12 North? Kansas State might, but I do know Iowa State doesn't want it and neither does Kansas (and possibly Nebraska).

With RichRod "chasing points" at questionable times (AGAIN) and the early success Harbaugh is having at The Farm today, someone may have coached himself into a job, and someone out. now, Jim should not expect a restroom next to his office at Schembechler Hall if it not already there.

I agree with this. The game against Oregon may have opened the door for Harbaugh to go back to where he was QB in college and take Michigan to the promised land hopefully. I for one would want RichRod fired this year if he does get another losing season(sorry 5-7 doesn't cut it for me) and loses to Ohio State

Harbaugh PNG'd himself at Michigan after his choice comments about their academic standards and how athletes are treated vis a vis them. EDIT-read and be enlightened

Actually...he's pretty much on every Big Ten team's :censored: list, so I would be really loathe to call him.

However....is Charlie Weis sort of fired? very fired? Completely fired? Fired sometime this week after a frantic fundraising drive among the Notre Dame alumni?

Also....I hope there's some video evidence of Wisconsin trying to call a time out at the end of the game today, because otherwise I would like to see the head of the Big Ten's officiating staff mounted on a pike outside of Memorial Stadium.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Harbaugh PNG'd himself at Michigan after his choice comments about their academic standards and how athletes are treated vis a vis them. EDIT-read and be enlightened

They have gone from beating Tebow and the Gators in a Bowl game to missing bowls in consecutive years overnight because of a bad coaching hire. I know what Harbaugh has said in the past (and really you can say that about any big time college program) but they need to forget it and move on and try to hire him. The guy has a good record of coaching players already in place and coaching them up, which means he can turn it around immediately. Not be totally inflexible about his system and thus chase everyone away as a result.

They have gone from beating Tebow and the Gators in a Bowl game to missing bowls in consecutive years overnight because of a bad coaching hire. I know what Harbaugh has said in the past (and really you can say that about any big time college program) but they need to forget it and move on and try to hire him. The guy has a good record of coaching players already in place and coaching them up, which means he can turn it around immediately. Not be totally inflexible about his system and thus chase everyone away as a result.

First off let me say that from the beginning I thought Rodriguez was a bad match for Michigan. Not because he can't coach but because I think he's a slime ball and Michigan sold their souls when they hired him.

That said, cut the guy some slack. It's his second season for Pete's sake. The majority of his players are people he did not recruit and they aren't a good fit for his system. I don't think he's in any danger of being fired. Michigan isn't the type of school to start a coaching carousel. They'll give him at least another year.

BB52Big.jpg

Gary, you can't seriously want RR fired after two years, right? Firing him is going to just set the team back a few more years. Sure, it is frustrating to see the team like this, but another coach wouldn't just come right in and turn it around in a year. The offense has looked very good, especially for how young they are. They defense has been terrible, but there just isn't any talent other than Donovan Warren and Brandon Graham. 2 walk-ons are starting for the defense, that is how little talent he was left with. It is their third straight year with a different defensive coordinator. If he doesn't have success next year, then maybe we can talk about firing him, but no coach would have this team playing great with the talent he was left with.

And jkrdevil, RR isn't inflexible about his system. He has had pass heavy offenses and run heavy offenses. He uses the offense differently depending on the personnel he has in. You want to see someone who is inflexible, look at Mr. Tressell. He got the top recruit in the nation last year, and is too stubborn to play to the strengths of that player.

There are definitely some questionable calls RR has made, but to really think the program would be better off by firing him after two seasons, is ridiculous.

MegatronSig2.jpg

Actually "everyone" in the context you are discussing graduated/used up their eligibility. Not exactly a whole lot you can do about that.

I'm pretty sure the reactionary "old guard" among the Michigan alumni base would be violently opposed to bringing this guy in because he is, as stated in that article no longer a "Michigan Man". And the "new guard" would rather Rodriguez be given a chance to actually do something with his players.

But then, 2 dramatic upsets spread over three seasons do not a good coach make either.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Houston sucks out against Tulsa 46-45.

EDIT-Speaking as a Nebraska fan....

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today, we are all otaku.

Cincinnati stays alive for another week and now Cincy is in a huge dilemma who to start Tony Pike the guy that brought you to the dance or the guy that stole the girl in Zach Collaros per say.

JETS|PACK|JAYS|NUFC|BAMA|BOMBERS|RAPS|ORANJE|

You want to see someone who is inflexible, look at Mr. Tressell. He got the top recruit in the nation last year, and is too stubborn to play to the strengths of that player.

There are definitely some questionable calls RR has made, but to really think the program would be better off by firing him after two seasons, is ridiculous.

I could not agree more on both counts. Jim Tressel is entirely too stubborn in his offensive game planning. But in his defense, the main reason Pryor came to Ohio State was Tressel's promise to help turn him into a pocket passer. So is Tressel misusing Pryor or is it that Pryor doesn't want to be that style of QB?

Firing Rodriguez after two seasons will accomplish two things and neither of them are good. First, if Michigan fires him then they are starting over again and they are looking at a few more years before they get it back together. Second, firing RR after two seasons sends a message to other coaching candidates that Michigan is not going to be patient enough to let you rebuild the program. Give him a chance. He's coached exactly 22 games and some of you are already shoving him out the door? The guy isn't a miracle worker. It's going to take some time. If Michigan is smart Rodriguez won't be going anywhere.

BB52Big.jpg

You want to see someone who is inflexible, look at Mr. Tressell. He got the top recruit in the nation last year, and is too stubborn to play to the strengths of that player.

I could not agree more on both counts. Jim Tressel is entirely too stubborn in his offensive game planning. But in his defense, the main reason Pryor came to Ohio State was Tressel's promise to help turn him into a pocket passer. So is Tressel misusing Pryor or is it that Pryor doesn't want to be that style of QB?

Good point. I know a lot of Ohio State fans hate the way Tressel uses Pryor, but I do recall Pryor wanting to be in more of a pro style offense. I would think that by now, Pryor should realize that he is not going to be a great passer, and a more suitable offense would help both him and the team. Maybe it is on both Pryor and Tressel a little bit.

MegatronSig2.jpg

Good point. I know a lot of Ohio State fans hate the way Tressel uses Pryor, but I do recall Pryor wanting to be in more of a pro style offense. I would think that by now, Pryor should realize that he is not going to be a great passer, and a more suitable offense would help both him and the team. Maybe it is on both Pryor and Tressel a little bit.

Another problem is Ohio State's O-line isn't anything to get excited about and they don't really have much of a running game. Hell, they don't have much of an offense period which makes today's win all the more remarkable to me. I agree that the problem is probably the result of both Tressel and Pryor being too stubborn to understand that what they're doing now just isn't getting it done. At some point Jim Tressel needs to decide if he wants to win games or if he just wants to make sure Terelle Pryor becomes a decent NFL prospect.

BB52Big.jpg

Archived