Division 1 College Conference Realignment

dfwabel

12 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

They should get some HBCUs. The HBCUs will finally be on the map without hiring a former NFL player as a head coach, they get the funding they need and the CUSA stays alive. Not to mention the amount of elite African American talent they would attract now that they are playing on an FBS level. And not to mention... THE BANDS.

I was with you until you mentioned "THE BANDS".

As someone who spent two years working on an HBCU football team, I can honestly say that the most difficult part of the whole experience was dealing with the band on game day.

1 hour ago, Geoff said:

That would be great. Problem is how many HBCU athletic departments can afford 85 scholarships, facilities renovations, increased travel budgets, etc. NC A&T and Jackson State most likely could swing it but who else?

Maybe FAMU could but Bragg hasn't been renovated in 40 years and needs a lot of love. FAMU would likely need to have Bethune-Cookman come up to so they could keep the rivalry alive. 

11 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

The only time an HBCU went to the FBS level was in the early 2000's by Florida A&M, who then retreated back to the MEAC.

No way in hell does any of them try that.

Yeah sadly a lot of them will not jump up to FBS, but I think someone like Jackson State can make the jump

1 hour ago, TrueYankee26 said:

I am positive it is pronounced like Carlton

Pretty much. They linger a little longer on the L so it's not 100% like saying Carlton.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

2 hours ago, TrueYankee26 said:

Yeah sadly a lot of them will not jump up to FBS, but I think someone like Jackson State can make the jump

When I say nobody, I mean nobody.. that includes Jackson State.

Alright, here’s why HBCUs will NEVER make the jump to FBS and frankly why they shouldn’t. Outside of Howard at over $700,000,000, none of the HBCUs have the endowments (aka financial support) to compete with FBS schools. That’s why they’re at the FCS level. I think having people like Deion Sanders coaching HBCUs is a step in the right direction to potentially being able to compete at an FBS level, but that is decades away if it’s even a possibility. 

On 10/23/2021 at 2:17 AM, Red Wolf said:

They tried to get in for all sports with the Sun Belt but there wasn't any interest from the conference. Non-football membership may not be a thing for C-USA if things are as cataclysmic as they seem, so NMSU might not have the ability to argue for full membership vs. football only.

Here's the thing, WAC may be FCS now, but there is no guarantee it wouldn't eventually be able to make the jump to FBS if the Texas adds are allowed to grow that way.  Current WAC is fine for Olympic sports, so they aren't just gonna bail.

On 10/23/2021 at 2:17 AM, Red Wolf said:

But do they have the money to add even more scholarships and build up facilities? I know very little about this school. I don't even know how to pronounce Tarleton.

Largest TAMU campus not in College Station, plans to make massive physical investments in athletics.  Not a terrible add considering.

• Like 1
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

On 9/15/2021 at 12:31 PM, GDAWG said:

I live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, and TCU is nothing close to what Liberty is as a religious school.    It's not as deeply religious as Liberty is.  

Liberty, Baylor, and BYU are more religious than TCU.  

tumblr_nulnnz7RCV1r5jqq2o1_250.jpg

Oh what could have been....

1 hour ago, CrimsonBull9584 said:

Well, something tells me Liberty won't be joining a conference anytime soon.

https://twitter.com/RobergMartin37/status/1452657913634463745

death penalty. how Liberty even got to FBS was a fraud in the first place, but they seem hellbent on proving the NCAA made a massive mistake. they 100% deserve to get SMU'd.

• Like 8

53Ocz8U.png

And people wonder why Liberty can't find an FBS home, it's because of things like that. No conference in their right mind wants that kind of negative attention thrown at them.. just be glad that the football team and the basketball team are winning, because I'm sure that if they weren't winners, a ton more would (or could) be exposed for all to see.

Liberty just has a bigger spotlight. I wish all these trashass schools would get the death penalty, not just in athletics.  It's not just Liberty/Baylor/BYU, it's just that most of these schools have the sense to operate more under the radar. But that's a topic for another thread.

I wonder if it truly was "Liberty turned their nose up at the new CUSA" or "CUSA noped the hell out of there because ... ew"

• Like 3

7 hours ago, JerseyJimmy said:

death penalty. how Liberty even got to FBS was a fraud in the first place, but they seem hellbent on proving the NCAA made a massive mistake. they 100% deserve to get SMU'd.

This is institutional, not athletics related per se.

Which is the real reason why they won't get offered a home at the FBS level because nobody wants to associate with this in non-athletic settings.

• Like 1
On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Southern Miss makes it official:

Marshall, Old Dominion, and James Madison should be announced later this week. Marshall is appointing a new university president on Thursday so they want to wait to make their final decision until he/she gives it the go ahead - I'm not sure what the holdup is for the Virginia schools but everything I've seen says they'll be officially in by next week at the latest as well.

ExJworW.png

ODU's announcement might be quicker. I think they have to get the rubber stamp from the state government but any school reclassifying has to jump through more hoops than they would in another state.