New name for Charlotte?

Conrad.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like their AAA baseball clubs name...The Charlotte Knights.

It might be a little minor-league/collegesque, but it sounds good.

Too bad YankeeNets has already planned to call the New Jersey Nets the Knights when the franchise leaves Joisey and moves to a palatial arena in Brooklyn.

There's no such thing as YankeeNets anymore and it's not even certain that they move to Brooklyn.

You sure? They're out of Izod after this season and moving to Newark for two years. Then, on to The Arena Soon To Be Known As Barclay's.

I'm sure that YankeeNets has been dissolved, and they still haven't broken ground on Barclays. I don't know that anything's certain regarding "Brooklyn Knights." There's already a Brooklyn Knights for some minor-league soccer team, I think.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I like their AAA baseball clubs name...The Charlotte Knights.

It might be a little minor-league/collegesque, but it sounds good.

Too bad YankeeNets has already planned to call the New Jersey Nets the Knights when the franchise leaves Joisey and moves to a palatial arena in Brooklyn.

Didn't Jay-Z want to call them the Brooklyn Ballers?

six pages in and I've yet to see one single valid argument that supports the fact that the BOBCATS name is anywhere close to being respectable and remotely acceptable as a professional sports franchise name.

The prevalence of the bobcat in the hills and mountains of North Carolina makes it just as valid as naming a Phoenix-based team after diamondbacks.

Is it really?

Are Bobcats really associated with North Carolina? I beg to differ.

They're not even one of the state animals. At least Arizona's state reptile is a rattle snake, therefore a diamond back (a type of rattlesnake) makes complete sense. They don't have diamond backs all across the country, but they certainly have bobcats everywhere from Canada all the way to Mexico. Certainly doesn't scream "North Carolina" or "Charlotte" to me. Hence the generic comment.

Yeah, they can be everywhere, but it certainly makes more sense for a city in the foothills than it would in most other places. At the very least, it's better than the flippin' Airmen or Flight or whatever else people have tossed around.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'm sure that YankeeNets has been dissolved, and they still haven't broken ground on Barclays. I don't know that anything's certain regarding "Brooklyn Knights." There's already a Brooklyn Knights for some minor-league soccer team, I think.

Groundbreaking in Brooklyn is Thursday March 11. Think the last of the eminenent domain suits was cleared 2 weeks ago.

Is it a groundbreaking with suits, hardhats and ceremonial shovels? Or a real one? Once they're in Newark I'd think it'd be real easy to stay there.

I think I'd prefer they keep Nets over Knights. Are they worried it will sound like Brooklynettes? I can't think of any reason to change it, especially with a move "back" to New York.

And on topic, I agree with bruschimania on the Bobcats uniforms. I like the redesign a lot. Pinstripes need to stick around on at least one team.

They shouldn't be worried about what to do with the first part of their name, they should focus on doing something about the second part.

"Nets"? Seriously? Why not name them the New York Backboards? Or New York Balls? Or New York Rims? It's ridiculous, even by pro-sports standards where things don't always have to make sense.

Brooklyn Knights would be awesome on so many different levels. New York Anything would work too.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived