New name for Charlotte?

Conrad.

I donno I think making a rebranding in the early years of a franchise makes much more sense, that say when the Bullets became the Wizards. The Houston .45's changed after the move to the Astrodome, the Titans of NY changed to the Jets when they moved to Shea. Granted there is not a big track record of teams that changed their name. But I don't think it is that bad of an idea. To me Bobcats sounded like a middle school mascot.

Not to mention the "Bobcats" brand is a joke at this point. If it were a stronger name I'd say give it some time and see if it can be salvaged, but since it's so tied in to the incompetent ownership that made it such a joke to begin with, I have to cast my vote for a change. Maybe the NBA will try something new this time and think long-term when it comes to branding.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they changed their name this summer, that would mean that Charlotte will have had the Hornets, the Bobcats, and the MJeffs over a ten-year span. At that point you're kinda jerking the fanbase around.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Is there any need to facepalm unpopular opinions?

It's unrealistic, impractical, and has been deconstructed time and again on this board. That's why it gets facepalmed. Especially when it is broached by a five year member who should know better.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

I always thought the Charlotte team should have been named Flight. It makes sense given the proximity to where the Wright Brothers developed their plan.

Except for the minor detail that Charlotte's proximity to Kitty Hawk is about the same as that from Pittsburgh to Philadelphia...

That aside, "Flight" is a name that would resonate better with fans in North Carolina, but so would about a dozen or so others. Hey, howzabout "Charlotte Devil Rays?" LOL

nav-logo.png

Aside from the fact that the owner named the team after himself, what's wrong with the name Bobcats? It seems fine to me. No worse then Bears, Eagles, Cardinals, or Rams. Granted, the primary logo sucks, but the alternate they seem to be using a lot is very nice.

It would be a mistake to change the name anyway. This is a relatively new team that's trying to build its own fanbase, one that isn't attached to the Hornets. Changing the name at this point would hinder that. All traditions start sometime. They have an identity. It could use some cleaning up, but overall it's not bad. Leave it be, and let the team establish its own traditions.

Because "Bobcats" is a moniker best suited for, and most reminiscent of, the local high school's athletic teams. There's just this sort of vague high school "genericness" feel to the identity.

That's exactly how I feel. The only thing worse would be if they busted out a paw-print logo.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Aside from the fact that the owner named the team after himself, what's wrong with the name Bobcats? It seems fine to me. No worse then Bears, Eagles, Cardinals, or Rams. Granted, the primary logo sucks, but the alternate they seem to be using a lot is very nice.

It would be a mistake to change the name anyway. This is a relatively new team that's trying to build its own fanbase, one that isn't attached to the Hornets. Changing the name at this point would hinder that. All traditions start sometime. They have an identity. It could use some cleaning up, but overall it's not bad. Leave it be, and let the team establish its own traditions.

Because "Bobcats" is a moniker best suited for, and most reminiscent of, the local high school's athletic teams. There's just this sort of vague high school "genericness" feel to the identity.

Sorry, not buying that. It seems, to me at least, less generic then Eagles or Bears. Eagles and Bears are pretty broad, generic names. Bobcats is actually a little more specific. Still not seeing a problem with the name.

Besides, Flight and Dragons both suck.

It's this simple.

Utah Bobcats.

New Orleans Jazz.

Charlotte Hornets.

Three-team swap!

I totally agree but for some reason the owners in Utah seem to think the Jazz name fits them.

New Orleans Cats has a nice ring to it.

That being said, I can't understand why any city/fans wouldn't want their own name, especially when the old name has so much baggage. Why would New Orleans even want the Hornet name when everyone that hears it thinks Charlotte. Or why would Utah want the Jazz name when even years and years later, the Jazz name is still more connected to New Orleans.

Maybe I'm the odd one but if Seattle ever gets a team again, they better be the Sonics... not the Grizzlies, or Hornets or Bobcats.

Ok now I am going out on a limb...the Charlotte Web. The logo would be a spider spinning a web that is a basketball net.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

I still want the Carolina Cougars to come back.

And yes, I do know about the naming-rights issue with the former Spirits of St. Louis owners.

Of all the alternate names (since it's safe to assume that Hornets is off the table forever) I like this one the best. It has history, keeps the cat theme while losing the ties to the Bob Johnson era, and is much better than Dragons or Flight. Plus, cougars are ridiculously good jumpers.

20060721cougarjump.jpg

Here's a suggestion...and I know its a radical one...simply give the team a name that doesn't completely suck @$$.

Forget the whole idea of relating the nickname to something that has to do with the area. I mean c'mon, are there literally Kings in Sacremento? How about Cavaliers in Cleveland? Does it matter if the name has anything to do with the city? Just name it after anything at all that simply doesn't sound like a high school team.

It's this simple.

Utah Bobcats.

New Orleans Jazz.

Charlotte Hornets.

Three-team swap!

I totally agree but for some reason the owners in Utah seem to think the Jazz name fits them.

Perhaps it has something to do with the Jazz's 30 year history under that moniker in Utah, which is 5 times as long as that franchise lasted in New Orleans. Additionally, whilst it is the Deseret Theocracy, a city the size of Salt Lake City will have some jazz musicians. Or are you going to insist on listening to the Mormon Tabernacle Choir sing a jazz medley?

New Orleans Cats has a nice ring to it.

Or they could remain the Hornets, since those critters are found in the area and the team has constructed a nice localized identity package to focus on their new found home.

That being said, I can't understand why any city/fans wouldn't want their own name, especially when the old name has so much baggage. Why would New Orleans even want the Hornet name when everyone that hears it thinks Charlotte. Or why would Utah want the Jazz name when even years and years later, the Jazz name is still more connected to New Orleans.

Because in modern North American sports branding, the team name is not their own. It is created by management with the aid of highly paid consultants with minimal actual fan input outside of sham voting contests that can be rigged to proffer the desired result "democratically".

If this is Europe, where the nickname was bestowed by the fanbase over time, you might have an argument. This isn't and they aren't.

Maybe I'm the odd one but if Seattle ever gets a team again, they better be the Sonics... not the Grizzlies, or Hornets or Bobcats.

I believe there is some deal in place for that to happen, but it may have a time limit.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Here's a suggestion...and I know its a radical one...simply give the team a name that doesn't completely suck @$$.

Forget the whole idea of relating the nickname to something that has to do with the area. I mean c'mon, are there literally Kings in Sacremento? How about Cavaliers in Cleveland? Does it matter if the name has anything to do with the city? Just name it after anything at all that simply doesn't sound like a high school team.

Kings in Sacramento?

Well, there is one, and his name is Arnold.

Or why would Utah want the Jazz name when even years and years later, the Jazz name is still more connected to New Orleans.

fictitious

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Kings in Sacramento?

Well, there is one, and his name is Arnold.

owned.

I stand corrected :)

It's this simple.

Utah Bobcats.

New Orleans Jazz.

Charlotte Hornets.

Three-team swap!

No no. First, you have to ditch the Bobcats name altogether, because it sucks. Then pull the ol' switcheroo:

Utah Grizzlies

New Orleans Jazz

Charlotte Hornets

Then fill in the blank:

Memphis Blues

Come to think of it, Jordan'll probably call them the Carolina Blues, no?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Well to be fair, the name Cavaliers does fit the history of the area. The Cavaliers were the soldiers and supporters of King Charles I during the English Civil War. When they were defeated by Parliament and its supporters, the Roundheads, many Cavaliers fled to the American colonies, whose loyalties were divided at the time. A good portion of them settled in what is now the State of Ohio.

Again, would anyone care to explain to me how Bobcats is generic or high school-ish? We accept names like Eagles and Bears as suitable for major league teams. Those are much more generic then the name Bobcats. Had the team gone with Wildcats I could see the high school point. Bobcats though? Seems fine in a world where we have the Falcons and Lions.

Archived