Mizzou men's basketball

Buffalo

I love those unis! I have a pair of those shorts but reversed colors

it does make me mad however that there is no uniformity of mizzous colors. Black is obvious but they have a few different golds. This one is used for the numbers on the football jerseys but it's yellow on the sleeves and jerseys. The pants for football are also bright yellow. I love both but wish there was some explanation. All their gear is yellow. If I had to pick one it'd be the yellow because it works better in general on everything.

I'm not a fan of the color, but the thing I hate most about those jerseys is that they say Mizzou instead of Missouri.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

Looking at the billowing top on #33 in the background really makes me appreciate System of Dress.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I just got back from that game, It wasn't that bad in person, I was in the the upper deck and they weren't that big of a deal to me.

However the MIzzou thing is odd. Their fans were chanting MIZZOU not MISSOURI, And most of their fans said Mizzou, not Missouri.

Also, I love their run and gun type style of play. Fast paced, always running down the court, full court press, I loved it.

saBS.png

Oh, the fans have said "Mizzou" for ages. I have no problem with that. I just would rather see the official name on the jerseys, not a school nickname (as opposed to the team nickname, Tigers).

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

I love those unis! I have a pair of those shorts but reversed colors

it does make me mad however that there is no uniformity of mizzous colors. Black is obvious but they have a few different golds. This one is used for the numbers on the football jerseys but it's yellow on the sleeves and jerseys. The pants for football are also bright yellow. I love both but wish there was some explanation. All their gear is yellow. If I had to pick one it'd be the yellow because it works better in general on everything.

Same goes to a few schools. Baylor comes to mind first because I saw their games yesterday. The B-Ball team uses a bright yellow and the football team uses a gold color. I dont get why school dont use the same colors for all sports...

oregonsig.png

I actually like this kind of gold (or brass)...it kind of reminds me of the brassy gold the Saints wore years ago. If I'm correct, the old Saints' gold is more like the gold worn by the Mizzou football team. Is that actually the case?

Oh, the fans have said "Mizzou" for ages. I have no problem with that. I just would rather see the official name on the jerseys, not a school nickname (as opposed to the team nickname, Tigers).

From a quick glance of Missouri's athletics page, "Mizzou" seems to be more official than "Missouri" at this point. To put the latter on the jersey would seemingly be analogous to UCLA trotting out a jersey proclaiming them to be California-Los Angeles.

From a quick glance of Missouri's athletics page, "Mizzou" seems to be more official than "Missouri" at this point. To put the latter on the jersey would seemingly be analogous to UCLA trotting out a jersey proclaiming them to be California-Los Angeles.

Not really. "Mizzou" is more analogous to having "Wazzu" on a Washington State basketball jersey, or "Sens" or "Bolts" on a hockey jersey. It's a slang nickname rather than an official one. UCLA isn't slang.

On a side note, Mizzou needs to bring back the tiger paw with the M.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

It's a slang nickname rather than an official one. UCLA isn't slang.

Mizzou is definitely an 'official nickname'.

After more research, yeah, you're right. The school's website is www.mizzou.edu

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Under most lighting conditions, the pants definitely look to be more mustard than yellow to me, but sometimes they do take on a yellower tinge. Either way, I think the numbers match the pants pretty well, but I think that, too, depends on the lighting, as the different reflective properties of the materials can wreak havoc. The gold on the helmets is way off, though.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

As one of the resident die-hard Mizzou fans (M-I-Z! Z-O-U! chant, as simple as it is, beats the hell out of that stupid monk chant that Kansas does. What the hell does "Rock Chalk Jayhawk" even mean?) I'll kinda take an UNofficial tour of their "golden" history. BTW, the arena is MIZZOU arena, if that clarifies what they're mainly refered to as. Heck, look at my sig to see that the fight song even refers to it as Mizzou.

This gold came to be around the early 2000's. The basketball team up through the later 90's used athletic gold, or more yellow, as I'll simply refer to it as for the sake of the changing tones here. This covered the last year of the "Big M little issouri" sets and then the simple all same sized arched "MISSOURI" that was only used about a year or two. Around 1997 or so I believe the started using bascially what was Vegas Gold for a couple uniform sets. Then, when they switched to Nike in 1999, IIRC, they went back to the "yellow". Then these gold jerseys debuted in 2002 I believe, and the following season the switched to this design and gold for all three jerseys, white, black and gold. That's been the case ever since.

Football used the "vegas gold" (not exact but I'm calling that for here) until the late 90's or whenever Corby Jones was running the offence, when it basically switched to yellow for jerseys and pants, but remained "vegas" on the helmets. It stays that way today. All the uniform components feature "yellow", but the helmet uses "vegas". And I gotta admit, I kinda like it that way.

Baseball has really switched to the basketball gold, but I'd prefer the yellow athletic gold was used across the athletic board (excluding the football helmets).

And I love "MIZZOU" being featured on the home jerseys at least and "MISSOURI" on the road. Makes since. At home, people simply know them as Mizzou anyway. Only, I'd like to see them finally retire these baggy things and go SOD with the wordmark from the previously posted logo and it's "Missouri" counterpart used on the black jerseys with the athletic gold featured on all.

In closing, let me add... "Rock CHOKE Gayhawks!" Even if we lose to West Virginia today (I'm not expecting a win, as long as they don't just fold it in), this tournament is sweeter for having seen KU make such an early exit. :D

EDIT:

Here's a concept I did last year to show the wordmark/numbers and gold I'd like to see used.

Mizzou-Uniforms-Final_2.png

My wife's high school had the same colors (they were also the tigers), it's called "old gold" or "mizzou gold", looks like baby puke or poop after eating green beans.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

Archived