The Cornucopia of Possible NBA Logo Changes

Discogod

This is really reaching, but do you think the Cavs changes to both their primary colors and wordmark is designed to potentially represent a new era for the Cavs? It was very coincidental that that it was 2003 the Cavs completely overhauled their image, just before drafting LeBron James, and now it again seems coincidental they are making some minor identity changes the year they may very well lose their Messiah to free agency.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the idea for the Cavs is 2-fold, both revolving around money. One, it's to make money. They just released the report last week or 2 weeks ago that Cavs were number 3 in the NBA in team merch sales behind Lakers and Celtics. So, obviously, they are going to continue with their bull :censored: 5 uniform circus. I believe they are doing a white home, wine away, Hardwood Classic, and then a CavFanatic. For some reason, the NBA doesn't consider "special" jerseys as an Alternate, so HOPEFULLY we will see a Gold alternate in 2 years.

Second... if LeBron does leave, it is going to be exactly what a previous poster said, to start a new era in the franchise. But still, trying to bring money in.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I think a uniform change is just that, a uniform change. Reading in to it as Lebron this, or LeBron that, is a little much. The updated colors and wordmark has been in the works for a while now.

On that note, the logo type is awful. Any kid that knows how to put type on an arch could do this. It's straight out of the can, boring. The Zorro-esque mark had such a unique look for the NBA.

my go at the new Cavs wordmarks (the C isn't 100%, but its close enough for now):

CavsNewwordmarks.png

and yes, like everyone else has said, hopefully navy will find itself at a minimum in the uni design.

It's not bad, but I prefer their current wordmarks. I think they're a lot more dynamic and representative of what a Cavalier is. I hate the Cavs, but I generally like their uniforms (the official ones (white, wine, navy alt) not counting the blue/orange throwbacks or the idiotic "Cavfanatic" jerseys), and save for a few striping consistency issues they're some of the best uniforms they've ever worn.

I really hope that the Warriors new logo is centered in the yellow circle and what we're seeing is a bad photoshop production that has been transferred to the different merchandise mock-ups. It looks really bad with that non uniform outline. And count me in the camp that think it looks empty without something in that open space above the bridge.

PvO6ZWJ.png

From those 28 (minus CLE & GST) hats there, I guess that also confirms that Sacto is not changing its silver color and the clock-graphic we saw before was just bad color representation.

also, someone explain to me why Cleveland isn't doing this for their primary logo?

CavsShould.png

Never been a fan of the ketchup and mustard look.

Oh, I am.

You get the right shades, and it's an absolutely stunning color scheme.

usc.jpg

The trick is having a sufficiently dark red, dark enough to separate itself visually from the gold. Dark, like the Cavs' claret.

If Conrad's recolor doesn't work, it's because that logo was designed to be in three colors, and doesn't work unless the text outline, sword and basketball are each a different color.

From those 28 (minus CLE & GST) hats there, I guess that also confirms that Sacto is not changing its silver color and the clock-graphic we saw before was just bad color representation.

also, someone explain to me why Cleveland isn't doing this for their primary logo?

CavsShould.png

Couldn't tell ya, because that looks great. Make the red darker, though. That looks like their current red, while the new one is reportedly the darker one used in the throwbacks of the past two years.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

my go at the new Cavs wordmarks (the C isn't 100%, but its close enough for now):

CavsNewwordmarks.png

and yes, like everyone else has said, hopefully navy will find itself at a minimum in the uni design.

Might look better if you ditched the outline, went with solid gold on wine.

Either way, this is going to be a new era for the Cavs. They're either going to blow it up and make a blockbuster trade for a big free agent and extend LeBron James, or they're going to blow it up by having to sign and trade James himself. Then they'll probably be forced to move within 5 years.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I hope the navy blue doesn't even find its way to the uniform. I think the original gold and wine uniforms were the best combination in the team's history. I think adding a white home and eventually a gold alternate would be perfect.

I just don't like the idea of the name on the uniform being different than how it appears in the main logo. What is the point of having a main logo if you are not going to reinforce it on the jersey?

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Using a darker red:

CavsShould2.png

Also, my thoughts on a way the unis could look well (using the Wine & Gold from this year's HWCs):

CavsShouldUnis.jpg

No thanks on the uniform. Way too busy. I hated the navy alternate, not just because it was navy, but also because of the design. the long panel on the side AND the checkers just... its so distracting. I think simpler the better with this color combination.

I do like the Warriors update aside front the font they chose. The more that I see the Cavaliers concepts, I like the color change. I also don't like the Cavaliers jersey font not matching the logo. It still looks OK, as a stand-alone... when it in no way ties to the primary logo it just looks odd. I guess when you look at it, many team jersey fonts do not match their logo font. Sixers, Celtics, Clippers, Kings & "UTAH" to name a few.

Also, I'm not sure if the Cavaliers are getting a new "Crossing sword" logo. When the original article came out, the reporter was describing the current set. His quote may simply be a bad description of the current look.

"It will not be a major change, team sources said, like seven years ago when the team brought back its current "new expression of wine and gold" and a new logo featuring crossing swords."

I've been staring at the Cav's logo previously discussed, and is it just me or does it not make sense spatially? The hilt is in front of the wordmark, the blade is pointed away, but still pokes through. I guess I've never thought about it before because they're always in 2nd mediums, but is the "Cavaliers" in that logo supposed to be a banner that has depth or am I just crazy?

Archived