The Cornucopia of Possible NBA Logo Changes

Discogod

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm sure the nostaljacks welcome the return of the bridge imagery, but the whole of it all, if these mockups do in fact tell the future, is painfully generic to me. And then to attach Copperplate to all that...I'm just not feeling it.

I'm generally a nostalgia guy, but I'm not sure I'm feeling it either. I really like the Bay Bridge logo in electric blue and yellow, but I can't get over the Copperplate. It's just no. They have have to do better than Copperplate. Even some sort of athletic block would look better.

I, too, am a nostalgia guy. I love that they're going back to royal blue and yellow. I, too, like the bridge logo.

But there's just no excuse for not shelling out for a custom typeface.

I'm generally a nostalgia guy, but I'm not sure I'm feeling it either. I really like the Bay Bridge logo in electric blue and yellow, but I can't get over the Copperplate. It's just no. They have have to do better than Copperplate. Even some sort of athletic block would look better.

One could argue that athletic block was the Copperplate of its day.

It fits in with Philadelphia's lazy new wordmark. I imagine this means Utah will be in Georgia.

21x3fba9efdehg4iregxhnadz.gif

So, Cleveland, Golden State, and Utah are the only three that aren't shown. That pretty much means that the Clippers' changes are going to be ridiculously minor, as they still use the cursive wordmark and the interlocking LAC alternate logo.

And seeing as how every other team uses a wordmark of some sort (minus Golden State, which makes the return of "The City" look a possibility) as the background, it looks like Cleveland may actually be switching from their current wordmark to the generic one on this hat. One almost has to wonder if the whole point if this change was to retire the current look in the event that LBJ bolts and move in a new "direction," because let's face it, there's nothing wrong with the current set and such a downgrade could only be for that reason.

Also, I've been hearing rumblings about the Lakers breaking out a black alternate this year, so perhaps the black hat is foreshadowing of that.

VmWIn6B.png

I kind of like the Cavs new wordmark, it looks like a modern representation of some classic wordmarks.

Their current wordmarks, as good as they look and as good as they fit with their identity sometimes look huge on the jersey and look like they wouldn't feel too comfortable.

The Mavs hat is sweet: p7475764reg.jpg

The Blazers, Knicks, and Hornets are the only teams that put their city on the hat instead of their team name. Weird, because the space in New York and New Orleans really throws the design off.p7475746nm.jpgp7475806nm.jpgp7475798nm.jpg

Very high-quality version of the Clippers hat - too large to post as an image.

Interesting that they chose to go with the script... I guess that confirms that it is going to be used on the new uniforms. Looks like the alternate logo got a slight update too.

Also, is that silver I see used? They must be adding silver to their color scheme.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

I could see the warriors doing something like this:

gswnew.png

That's actually really, really nice. I wouldnt mind seeing them go to this at all - infact i'd really like it.

Also, I don't understand all the fuss about copperplate. I understand it's generic, but it really doesnt look that bad at all. And besides, wouldn't block font be generic as well? You never hear any complaints about block font....

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

Archived