The Cornucopia of Possible NBA Logo Changes

Discogod

Hey everyone, just got done reading the whole thread. To let you know who I am. I'm the one that sent the logo to Paul at uniwatch asking if that was the new warriors logo. Which has now started all this.

Here's the story of what it took to get to this point with the w's logo:

On the warriors boards it was first mentioned 3 years ago the warriors were thinking about updating their logo. They got great support with the throwback city jerseys and then they made a small comment about maybe we should bring them back with with using the new bay bridge. So we started back then making mock ups of what it could possibly look like if they ever did on the warriors boards. Then right before the niners came out with their new jerseys back to their old colors. The warriors announcer on his radio show said warrior fans probably should save their old warriors stuff because those colors will be back, Even though he couldn't really admit it. The logo was suppose to come out last season, warriors even had a blow out sale the season before of all their stuff because they thought they would no longer use the current logo/jersey. The sale had jersey's for $5. Well from what I have heard the warriors owner tried to get the league to waive the fee for changing logo, since the league let okc steal the name of the warriors mascot. That failed and he didn't want to pay last season. Putting the current logo back for a year, even though they sold all their merchandise off. There had been rumors of the new logo coming out this upcoming season. Then warriorsworld.net got the drop on what it would look like. (Warriors to unveil new uniforms on draft night.) Because of that post, when the watch popped up with a logo no one had seen and was different than the fan mock ups. Also knowing game time sold all the real sport watches. I was pretty sure it was the real thing.

There is also a history of the warriors not wanting to pay the league fee for logos, after the cartoon theme faded from the nba. The warriors wanted to ditch the thunder logo. They had already removed the lightning bolts from the jersey. So they went to the nba and said they wanted to switch their primary logo to the w logo. The league said it would cost I believe 500k, since the warriors already had the other logo approved by the nba and the owner being cheap he thought that was a joke. So he said no. The warriors switched all their stuff to the secondary w logo (court,letterheads, media stuff)but didnt pay the fee. That is why you never see the warriors use the thunder logo for the last 4 years but you still see it on espn and tnt. The NBA tells the media what logo to use and still passes out the thunder logo as the primary. Reading about their being a rule of needing the name in it, I wonder if this played in to the lil fight over the logo.

I know some want that empty space filled in with something like a basketball in Conrad's awesome mock up. But it's most likely left open for the numbers. That's the way the city jerseys were. Which there staying with that theme. Plus the new bridge only has one tower unlike the city jersey with its golden gate/two towers. But then again why not just use the basketball like conrad did for the logo and then remove the basketball part for the jerseys and have the number there.

41752-1263305586.jpg

Since there is question if the Kings logo is changing or if the watch is off. There might be a chance the warriors new colors are slightly off. On their website they already hint the new uniform, showing the new colors. So these are the colors:Warriors site

Since I know a lot of people here aren't from the bay area or follow the dubs this as much, as I do. I figured I would pass on all the craziness it is out here being a warrior fan.

Conrad, any chance you can make a patch up of just the leaked logo without your additions. Just want to see, how that would look. Thanks

5994736127_c919880617.jpg

20899768053_5ff571c8fc.jpg21520909095_58cb3890d9.jpg

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I absolutely LOVE that the new Warriors logo includes the new eastern span of the Bay Bridge. It's a detail that most probably won't notice, but that absolutely tickles the fancy of us logo geeks. I'll for sure be grabbing a T shirt when they come out.

I can't wait to see what the uniforms look like. I'm actually excited about this. New future owner, new logo. Maybe it's a dawn of a new era and the losing will go away.

Italy.png

I hate those trolley car numbers. When they wore them as throwbacks a few years it was nearly impossible to read the numbers. Let's hope they don't use those numbers or the number font on the black jersey. It's also terrible.

PvO6ZWJ.png

thanks for the insight (and kind words about my tweak), Golden One...here's a patch of the "partial logo":

realGST_2010-11_patch.png

as well as it used in wallpaper form:

th_realGST_2010-11_wall.jpg

and, i cannot believe I or no one else noticed that I left a bunch of trusses off of my tweak of the primary logo, so here are fixes to that problem:

GST-fix2.png

th_myGST_2010-11_wall2.jpg

here's hoping for some rockin' uniforms to go along with this forward-moving approach for the Warriors...

I hate those trolley car numbers. When they wore them as throwbacks a few years it was nearly impossible to read the numbers. Let's hope they don't use those numbers or the number font on the black jersey. It's also terrible.

Agreed. The ideal option would be for them to use an upgraded version of this at home and this on the road. Those uniforms with the new wordmarks on the front minus the Warriors script on the legs would give Golden State one of the most beautiful set of uniforms in the league.

I am greatly hoping to see the California state and star logo used as a secondary mark. It would make sense given the fact that it represents their time spent in Oakland. Nothing against the primary, but the bridge usage was only for when they were located in San Fransisco. If they want to use it, fine. But they are throwing away a great portion of their identity if the state logo remains unused.

While I'm in agreement that the NBA has too many teams with basketballs in their logos, the Warriors' gold circle just feels too empty.

If they do put the numbers within the circle, then they'd be okay. If not, then I really think they need the basketball lines.

Howabout a GSW monogram, or just a GS, or a W? I would normally not suggest a W, but the logo is so generic that a GS still may not be enough to separate it from a California tourism mark.

I would think the GSW would be a no go from the NBA's persepctive especially since that is cop lingo for Gun Shot Wound.

rams3_zps8ezugnuj.jpg

i'd dig somethin like this for a home uni:

curry10-11.png

even tho the Copperplate is anything but professional, but if they must use it, i can live with it i suppose.

There are standard guidlines for uniform numbers as far as minimum size goes. I don't believe this design fits those standards.

goforbroke_zpsb07ade0a.jpg

Thanks Conrad,

I had noticed the missing trusses, just thought it was artistic choice you were making. Even though I didn't agree with part of the bridge missing. Ha.

I also hope that the blue circle being off from the yellow, was poor design make up by the watch company. My guess, maybe before they made the watch, they were given the logo on a yellow background. So they cut it down to a circle and cut it down wrong.

A hint from the warriors website?

1011LoginPage3_09.jpg

and they also have this

1011STHRenew_Top.jpg

Thanks Conrad,

I had noticed the missing trusses, just thought it was artistic choice you were making. Even though I didn't agree with part of the bridge missing. Ha.

I also hope that the blue circle being off from the yellow, was poor design make up by the watch company. My guess, maybe before they made the watch, they were given the logo on a yellow background. So they cut it down to a circle and cut it down wrong.

-- picture omitted --

and they also have this

-- picture omitted --

It could just be the perspective, but the photo you added just below that seems to suggest otherwise. The circle looks the same to me.

Thanks Conrad,

1011LoginPage3_09.jpg

and they also have this

1011STHRenew_Top.jpg

Looks like the new logo is going to be on the jersey as a patch. I guess if they can't get the numbers in the logo, they're going for the next best thing, which really isn't so great anyways. Infact, I'm gonna go on record and predict that the wordmark stays the same.

bSLCtu2.png

Thanks Conrad,

-- picture omitted --

and they also have this

-- picture omitted --

It could just be the perspective, but the photo you added just below that seems to suggest otherwise. The circle looks the same to me.

wow I didn't even notice the circle being the same in the picture I posted. Was to focused on the collar. Well there goes that.

I'm cool with the return to royal blue and (athletic gold)--after all, it's a very attractive color pairing--but outside of that, I might be the only one who is totally and completely underwhelmed by this identity shift. I'm sure the nostaljacks welcome the return of the bridge imagery, but the whole of it all, if these mockups do in fact tell the future, is painfully generic to me. And then to attach Copperplate to all that...I'm just not feeling it. (None of that is to take away from the excellent rendering jobs posted, however.) I will say that, on its own, that bridge logo would make a great secondary logo. But if this is it, then I'm just wholly unimpressed.

(Of course, this does keep in line with the NBA's trend of "retrograde" identities, so I suppose it's par for the course that way.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I'm sure the nostaljacks welcome the return of the bridge imagery, but the whole of it all, if these mockups do in fact tell the future, is painfully generic to me. And then to attach Copperplate to all that...I'm just not feeling it.

I'm generally a nostalgia guy, but I'm not sure I'm feeling it either. I really like the Bay Bridge logo in electric blue and yellow, but I can't get over the Copperplate. It's just no. They have have to do better than Copperplate. Even some sort of athletic block would look better.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived