The Cornucopia of Possible NBA Logo Changes

Discogod

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's amazing how just a tweak can make a good logo look awful. The current gold/wine/whatever it's called looks for the Cavs, but this new yellowish color looks like a generic MS Paint color.

On a somewhat related note, the exact opposite effect happened a few years ago when the Wizards tweaked their bronze. Made their logo (still sucks though) and uniforms better.

It looks more like a dark blue to me rather than purple.

Either way, it's horrible. And this is coming from a huge Stockton/Malone fan. But if they insist on going so obviously, uncreatively retro, just stick with the classic purple.

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

How do we know they aren't introducing another secondary logo? These were all only primary logos on the watches. I wouldn't be surprised to see another one - it'd be cool to see them use the ship theme for the first time since the early years in San Diego.

And if that happens, we'll talk about it.

Until then, we can only discuss what they're actually doing, which is making minor tweaks to an identity many of us feel needs a major overhaul.

You don't have to be so defensive - I understand that this is your team, but it's not personal.

Looks like the Clips also changed the font for "Los Angeles" and thickened up the "Clippers" some.

I think these small tweaks make the Clippers' logo much, much better. I really don't think they need to do anything to the unis, those are some of the nicest in the league.

My only problem is the direction the ball's facing. In the old logo, it looked like the ball was shooting forwards. In the new, it looks like it's going backwards, except the speed lines would indicate that it's going forwards. It just looks off.

I think all of us Clipper fans wanted something major. This is just real disappointing. I don't feel like linking to my old concept that used the existing cursive with a ship above it. But if you're going to pay someone to do something you may as will pay for something new. Maybe that race discrimination settlement really hit the logo budget hard.

I think all of us Clipper fans wanted something major. This is just real disappointing. I don't feel like linking to my old concept that used the existing cursive with a ship above it. But if you're going to pay someone to do something you may as will pay for something new. Maybe that race discrimination settlement really hit the logo budget hard.

You're talking about the Clippers, one of the cheapest teams in the NBA. They're going to spend a lot of money on a totally new logo set when a minor tweak of what they already have is possible.

And the Florida Panthers have had a futile existence - nobody's demanding that they should change their logo.

If when they moved from Miami to their new home in Sunrise they unveiled this as their logo...

4584819233_16c842eb07.jpg

... we would be. (And I know I went a long way for that one.)

It's amazing how just a tweak can make a good logo look awful. The current gold/wine/whatever it's called looks for the Cavs, but this new yellowish color looks like a generic MS Paint color.

On a somewhat related note, the exact opposite effect happened a few years ago when the Wizards tweaked their bronze. Made their logo (still sucks though) and uniforms better.

I like the logo with the metallic gold better, but if they stick with the original wine and gold (and don't throw in too much navy) it could look really good on the jerseys. Just my two cents as a Cavs fan.

6fQjS3M.png

I like the logo with the metallic gold better, but if they stick with the original wine and gold (and don't throw in too much navy) it could look really good on the jerseys. Just my two cents as a Cavs fan.

I think the color change was a long time coming. If you look at the XL and Quicken Loans Arena Logos they both use that shade of gold. Also it can be seen a lot throughout the Q especially on the scoreboard and concourses. I even think they gave everyone in the crowd a gold t-shirt, of that shade, one of the playoff games a few years back. I think people will get used to it and I actually like the change, just hope the jerseys we see are a big improvement.

Now the wait begins for uniform sets from CLE(minor)...

How do you know that the changes to the uniform are going to be minor?

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Now the wait begins for uniform sets from CLE(minor)...

How do you know that the changes to the uniform are going to be minor?

its been discussed that a complete uniform overhaul won't occur...i imagine they might change the wordmark a tad and perhaps change the side panels (in addition to color changes & hierarchy as well of course).

also, LightsOut, go for it bro...add that Clips let-down to your sig ;)

I think people will get used to it and I actually like the change, just hope the jerseys we see are a big improvement.

I don't see how they could be. Not only do the Cavs currently wear some of the best jerseys in the NBA (the white and red ones, anyway), but in my opinion, and in the opinion of others in this thread, replacing gold with yellow is a big downgrade. If the new jerseys are similar, I can't imagine the red jersey looking good with a yellow stripe down the side.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

You know what would be a huge upgrade for the Cavs? If they actually wore their home jerseys at home instead of a million and one alternates.

As a Cavaliers fan, here's what I think about your suggestion:

1233928590_citizen%20kane%20clapping.gif

As someone in my office said after the Cavs wore their blue throwbacks for what felt like the 23rd straight game back in March: "There's a reason they stopped wearing those in 1994."

"There's a reason they stopped wearing those in 1994."

Because they wanted to wear something much worse?

Oh, don't get me wrong, the mid-to-late '90s duds were horrendous, but what they've got going now are head and shoulders better than either the 80s or 90s uniforms.

Archived