The Cornucopia of Possible NBA Logo Changes

Discogod

Oh geeez.

Not impressed, to say the least.

The only one I like is the Magic's. I like the fact that they went with the updated wordmark, if that is in fact the new primary.

I'm not sold that is the Cavs new logo. Unless reports were wrong. Didn't the reports say that Navy would be just about eliminated? And the font would change slightly? I don't see a change to the logo, just the colors...

As for the Clippers... Pitiful. The basketball does look better, but of all the things they could've done...?

Warriors is an update, especially if it's just those colors. Their current identity is crap, so yeaa.

I'm still holding out hope though. Something doesn't seem right.

I'm going to reserve judgment on these -- particularly the Clippers and Warriors -- until I see the full uniforms. A slight tweak to the Clippers logo might be disappointing, but if it's paired with a major uniform upgrade I'd declare it successful.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, is it just me, or has Sacramento tweaked their colors?

compared to

Hard to really say, since the Purple that the Kings use is very problematic. When using it as a spot color, it's pretty light, but in CMYK, it's almost a completely different color.

Here's an RGB-Optimized version (using the Silver metallic RGBs, which are a bit dark):

SacramentoKings_PRM_1995-9999.png

One thing that isn't well-known, is that all NBA logos and uniforms use different Pantone/PMS colors for print, and what the NBA calls "Production" colors. What they do is to convert the existing print colors into different colors that match up better with the textile/fabric colors. That watch looks like (to me) to be potentially using the Production colors, which use a different Purple and a different Silver. Here's the same logo only using the Production colors:

SacramentoKings_PRM_1995-9999_PRD.png

Maybe this is what they're doing, or maybe it really IS a new color scheme.

LA Clippers, you know what? I like it. It's a wonder what a small tweak can do. It fixes the most obvious flaw in the current logo. True, it's still a Lakers knock-off, but at least they fixed something. My hope is they introduce new uniforms with the tweaked logo that use the wordmark from the logo on the uniforms for some much needed consistency.

That'd be hideous, IMO. They need to keep the script, it's the nicest in the NBA. Besides, if they used the wordmark from the logo, they'd be too similar to the Fakers' unis. I'm hoping for a more modern uniform in a desperate attempt to market to premiere free agents this summer.

As for the primary, it's absolutely perfect now. They shouldn't change a thing. This will probably be their logo for the next twenty or thirty years.

Nicest? Well it's all subjective anyway. So sure, but it isn't a wash.

Anyway consistency goes a long way. I don't see using the logo script on the jerseys would make them like the Lakers either. It's a different font, the colours are different, it seems like it would work out fine with me.

Colorwerx, that second Kings logo you posted seems to match the one on the watch. It is weird, the silver looks darn close to the Buccaneers' pewter in that logo, but is more a true silver in their actual print logo. Strange.

The magic streaking basketball logo by itself would make a great logo, why does it have to be paired with a wordmark?

Yikes, that opinion makes me glad there's a rule that the team name must be in the logo...

I know my tastes run the complete oppposite, liking over-complex things, but I think isolated, over simplified things like that are much better left as secondary marks.

The magic streaking basketball logo by itself would make a great logo, why does it have to be paired with a wordmark?

Yikes, that opinion makes me glad there's a rule that the team name must be in the logo...

I know my tastes run the complete oppposite, liking over-complex things, but I think isolated, over simplified things like that are much better left as secondary marks.

Is that really a real rule?

I just looked on the main pages and every single NBA primary has the team's name in it. I never noticed that before. I'm not sure I like that though. Phoenix and Portland both use silly rectangle outlines to shoehorn their team names into the logo. The thunder have it arched awkwardly over their logo. And do the Bulls really need to have "Chicago Bulls" written above their bull head? I'm of the school that believes that the best logos don't need to tell you in words what they represent, you just know.

Only 7 of the 30 NHL primaries have the nickname written in the logo

only 6 of the 32 NFL primaries have the nickname written in the logo. And a lot that do prefer to use wordless logos most of the time.

Now Baseball is a little different. Every NL primary uses the team nickname in the primary logo, but 10 of the 14 AL logos use the team nickname.

I used Chris' site as my barometer for what is the primary logo. Someone may have to check these numbers.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I feel like the only one who loves the look of the Jazz logo (if this is indeed the new logo, which im nearly 100% certain it is). I never did think of changing the colors of the drop shadow - it gives a whole new effect to it. I can't wait to see if this is indeed the new logo, and what the uniforms will look like.

Golden State I think looks very nice, I like the simplicity and how they are reverting back to the royal blue and gold. I'm expecting a really cool uniform to come, and crossing my fingers that the extra space is indeed for the numbers.

Can't say i'm suprised about the Clippers, i honestly didnt expect too much of a change. The clean up makes the logo look much nicer.

I have been waiting for two years to see Orlando do this - considering that the script they currently use on thier primary hasnt been used on anything in a few years. It looks alot better and it is nice to finally see consistency.

Not really thrilled about the new gold for Cleveland at all. I like the current gold better, and I think id works with the garnet and navy alot better as well. The new gold doesnt really do any of that.

Jazzretirednumbers.jpg

The opinions I express are mine, and mine only. If I am to express them, it is not to say you or anyone else is wrong, and certainly not to say that I am right.

I like Golden State. The Magic one is needed, I think. Clippers is small, hardly noticeable, but helps.

As for the Cavs (obviously) I think its a double-edged sword. The new gold looks poor on the Logo. I think it might suit them better to do less blue and more white. The contrast just looks off. That being said, looking at the yellow from the Feather C and the Candy Cane uniforms, it will look better with the wine/burgundy and white. I believe the blue is only used in logos, not much in the uniform.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

Trolley's a little too gimmicky for me. This is a charter team, so they shouldn't act silly. Time for the Warriors to get serious about themselves again. I think this new primary is a step in the right direction, but if they're going to use Copperplate, the least they can do is outline it.

Right - what is it with classic Philadelphia teams that relocate to the bay area? The A's and Warriors both have storied histories as charter members of their respective leagues. They have histories of strong identities and classic uniforms. Yet both teams have pooped on their history over the years, and in one case, brought out 30 different color jerseys and caps over the years, while in the other case, gone to robo-god mascot and dumb colors and weak designs. Both franchises, which at one time dominated their leagues, have slipped into near irrelevancy. I really hope that both wake up and try to embrace their heritage and play off of it to develop solid identities that can become classics.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I e-mailed the seller. He just e-mailed me back and said he is an officially licensed dealer, and they just received the info to sell these watches on Friday. However, he was told today to pull certain teams off the market - and I quote: "The new logo was not to be released until a future date which we will advise you of accordingly."

There you have it.

only 6 of the 32 NFL primaries have the nickname written in the logo. And a lot that do prefer to use wordless logos most of the time.

I would say the NFL is quite a different animal, since teams have so frequently used their helmets or just their helmet logo as their "primary logo." I never liked that fact.

I suppose the NHL's tradition of jersey crests is a similar thing (as well as the trend to elevelate baseball cap logos like the Yankees' to primary status.)

The NBA is a little bit unique in that, without a hat, there is no way for its teams secondary marks to achieve similar prominence.

I would say the NFL is quite a different animal, since teams have so frequently used their helmets or just their helmet logo as their "primary logo." I never liked that fact.

I suppose the NHL's tradition of jersey crests is a similar thing (as well as the trend to elevelate baseball cap logos like the Yankees' to primary status.)

The NBA is a little bit unique in that, without a hat, there is no way for its teams secondary marks to achieve similar prominence.

But do you know if the NBA actually has a rule that the primary logo must include the team's nickname?

PvO6ZWJ.png

I don't think the Magic's change was necessary. While I prefer the original wordmark and thought the two giant stars of recent years was a bit too much (why is a supposed 'a' and the dot on an 'i' almost the same size?), there was no need to take the jersey font and stick it in the primary. Those two don't need to match.

The Bulls, Celtics, Nuggets, Mavericks, Kings, Knicks, etc. all have wordmarks that don't appear on their jerseys. It's not a necessity to have consistency, as that could make one or the other very bland or too busy. What works on a jersey doesn't always work in a primary logo, and vice versa (Rockets' navy pajamas era).

Besides, are the Magic ditching the "change uniforms every five years" tradition? Because this new wordmark might be outdated in a couple years anyway. Unless the addition of a black pinstripe uni in this style makes them think they've found their timeless look.

OH NOES! AN OPINION NOT MY OWN!

:rolleyes:

---

Chris Creamer
Founder/Editor, SportsLogos.Net

"The Mothership" News Facebook X/Twitter Instagram

:rolleyes:

The rolly eyes of doom!

Seriously, had he just left out the "Yikes! Opinions like this..." line I wouldn't have had a problem with his post.

The streaking ball by itself is just okay and doesn't communicate enough by itself to be a primary logo unadorned by team name. Opinion.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived