The Cornucopia of Possible NBA Logo Changes

Discogod

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BrooklynNetsLogo.jpg

Found this surfing the web.. I think it has some potential..

I think it's awful. Two different shade of gray with two different shades of blueish gray?

Not to mention the angle of "Nets" competing, instead of working with, the angle of the bridge. The basketball lines are covered so much that it's nearly unintelligible as a basketball, the Warriors recent jump to a logo using bridge imagery, "Brooklyn" is flat while "Nets" has a 3D effect and the fact that saying the team's name quickly, "Brooklynettes", sounds like we're watching a WNBA team.

If they do go with Brooklyn as the team's location name then I think that Knights would be a great name. It's not used in any of the 4 major sports and it sounds like "Brooklynites". This isn't my creation, I heard it here awhile ago, but I think it's really cool and in a perfect world I think that would be the direction they'd go in.

PvO6ZWJ.png

BrooklynNetsLogo.jpg

Found this surfing the web.. I think it has some potential..

I think it's awful. Two different shade of gray with two different shades of blueish gray?

Not to mention the angle of "Nets" competing, instead of working with, the angle of the bridge. The basketball lines are covered so much that it's nearly unintelligible as a basketball, the Warriors recent jump to a logo using bridge imagery, "Brooklyn" is flat while "Nets" has a 3D effect and the fact that saying the team's name quickly, "Brooklynettes", sounds like we're watching a WNBA team.

If they do go with Brooklyn as the team's location name then I think that Knights would be a great name. It's not used in any of the 4 major sports and it sounds like "Brooklynites". This isn't my creation, I heard it here awhile ago, but I think it's really cool and in a perfect world I think that would be the direction they'd go in.

To be fair, as a concept it has potential. Blue/gray is an interesting Brooklynesque combo (that has some precedent with the Nets) and incorporating the bridge seems nice. Has potential, badly executed. Escheresque in a bad way.

Anybody else see the speculation on the Wizards returning to a Red,White and Blue color scheme and even possibly changing the name back to the Bullets. I read something about it on the HoopsHype website rumormill from yesterday. I'll try and get a link to the story.My link

I sincerely doubt they would change their name back to the Bullets. The reason they changed was because owner Abe Pollin became uncomfortable with the violent overtones that were associated with the name -- he just died in November, and I would think just out of respect for the man that changing the name back wouldn't even be an option.

IUe6Hvh.png

Anybody else see the speculation on the Wizards returning to a Red,White and Blue color scheme and even possibly changing the name back to the Bullets. I read something about it on the HoopsHype website rumormill from yesterday. I'll try and get a link to the story.My link

I sincerely doubt they would change their name back to the Bullets. The reason they changed was because owner Abe Pollin became uncomfortable with the violent overtones that were associated with the name -- he just died in November, and I would think just out of respect for the man that changing the name back wouldn't even be an option.

the fact that the team just hand some players get in trouble for having guns would also make that bad idea

I agree they probably would'nt but the fact the owner isn't ruling it out is interesting. I just don't think changing the name to Wizards from Bullets stopped any violence did it.

It's not about stopping violence, it's about not being associated with it, or having a name that reminds people of gun violence.

Did it need to be changed? Probably not. Now that it has, and with the whole owner dying and Arenas issue, it's not getting changed back. They could, however, go in a whole new direction though. Come up with a whole new identity. Maybe play off of the whole "Capitals" "Nationals" patriotic thing, and maybe be the basketball version of the Senators?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Color change: Possible.

Revert to former name: Unlikely.

Q: What did the Arenas/Crittenton involve?

A: Gambling and GUN PLAY!

What "jimbojohnny56 " attempted to link to was a Washington Post article in which current Capitals and future Wizards/Verizon Center owner Ted Leonsis spoke at a National Press Club luncheon. Thanks to C-SPAN, the speech and some questions can be seen here.

FYI: This is one hour long. Within the Post story, it alluded to the fact that "Abe Pollin said the District's gun violence and the 1995 assassination of Israeli prime minister Yitzhak Rabin, a friend of Pollin's, necessitated a change."

EDIT: I wrongly accredited a (bad) link to the incorrect person.

Bullets is a lousy name because it sounds like a diminuitive/feminine Bulls, their uniforms generally sucked, and yet it would still be a welcome upgrade. It's not as if restoring "Washington Bullets" is a slap in the face to the corpse of Abe Pollin and a tacit endorsement of Rabin's assassination. But if they do some heavy surveying and find that a vast majority of consumers want their team to be called the Bullets again, call them the Bullets again.

That Nets logo is terrible, Brooklyn Nets is a terrible name, Brooklyn Knights is a less terrible name.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

No it wouldn't. They'd have to try a little harder than that. Something more Washingtonian. Or they could be like the Capitals: come up with the best logo they've ever had and underuse for an ugly update of a logo that sucked the first time.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Why name your team the Bullets? Of all the possible names a team can have, they just have to name themselves after the projectiles of a firearm. Personally, I don't feel like it's a good name for a professional sports franchise. A video game? Absolutely. But not a professional sports franchise.

Why name your team the Bullets? Of all the possible names a team can have, they just have to name themselves after the projectiles of a firearm. Personally, I don't feel like it's a good name for a professional sports franchise. A video game? Absolutely. But not a professional sports franchise.

Because years ago, way before teenagers would walk into schools with firearms and shoot their classmates...using the word "bullet" as a team name could refer to the "quickness" of a team as opposed to the item that is propelled from a gun. Which was very much accepted and commonplace; In other words, The good ole' days

Because years ago, way before teenagers would walk into schools with firearms and shoot their classmates...using the word "bullet" as a team name could refer to the "quickness" of a team as opposed to the item that is propelled from a gun. Which was very much accepted and commonplace; In other words, The good ole' days

Yes. When I was growing up, I never associated the Bullets name with guns - I always just thought it meant that they were really fast, like bullets (which I guess implies that I knew what bullets were and that they were fast, but still, I thought it was just a way of describing the players.)

After a while, nicknames kind of lose their meaning anyway, and just become proper names that nobody really thinks about anyway. It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if it came back, but I still don't think that it should.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

For the sake of the thread and its topic, I wanted to throw this in here too...

Could they make it anymore obvious! :D Pretty sweet video promo though!

They threw in a few hints, like when the current logo morphs out. Take note that the horizontal line doesn?t go all the way through the ball that?s shown as the current logo morphs out.

utah_jazz_announcement_logo_promo_v.jpg

This is why I honestly believe they?re just going straight back to the 1980?s logo without the horizontal line going all the way through the way, and also including ?Utah? into the logo.

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Primary_Logo-1.png

Utah_Jazz_2010-11_Identity_Signa-2.jpg

Archived